RC poster

Summit 7205 Help

hi, totally new to the picked up my son a summit, without thinking of course, now running into some problems. WHen driving on gravel or sand and he is spinning and turning I hear a constant clicking noise. I thought it might be the servo and replaced the gears, however that did not solve it. When he's driving straight its fine, its when he's spinning and turning oh and braking I hear the noise. Any help is appreciated and if anyone has traxxas summit for dummies well that would make my day.

tks,
    Anthony

RC Qualifier
    That sounds like it could be a differential. Make sure the locking diffs are unlocked, and hold one front wheel to keep it from spinning, and spin the other. You can do the same for the back, and this may help figure out if it's in the differentials, and if so which one.

If it is and you end up having to rebuild one, I would say go ahead and buy some shims when you get the new parts and shim the diff. Done properly, That should help keep the same thing from happening as quickly again, and the shims are just a few bucks.

That's my first thoughts. Maybe someone else can chime in with more detailed advice.

Oh, and check out the Summit FAQ at the top of the Summit forum. It's got a metric ton of great information and tips.

Symptoms .clicks when turning and under load.also when braking.but not when going straight.
    I would start with the axles,cv joints
    Generally if its diff,the clicking is pretty constant.Not always..... but the broken metal parts in there are getting made into smaller broken metal parts and picking up friends along the way...then the metal parts party really gets started.
    it seems safe to assume its a front end issue.high gear and locked diff's= broken parts most of the time.Cyclone donuts while fun and impressive are hard on diff's and axles.
    Start with looking at the axles and joints
    Stiff or rusty cv maybe

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    hi, I managed to take it apart. All the gears seems ok, however I will shim just in case does anyone know size shims I will need its the front diff and since I'm at it whats the size for the rear, might as well buy all that I might need down the road. Also what type of oil grease etc is good for it. I live in canada, but I will order else where if I have no choice.

thanks a million.

RC Qualifier
    Stock inside the diff case is 100k silicone oil, I use 500k and love it. Ive heard of packing with marine grease for added water resistance too. I use a white lithium on ring and pinion and that seems to work out well. At some point its really beneficial to upgade the outside bearing of the differential too. One cheap bearing freeze up can wreck a diff.

Offhand I think you need...6mm and 8mm shimsr. I use red mobil grease for my ring and pinion; I have been using it for ages with no issues. Have a look at my post #3.
    Rock n Rolla !