Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

servo upgrade, what kind of servo are you running

so my servo just aint right, so i think im goin to get a better one.

what kind of servo is everyone using and how do you like.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Plenty of recent posts on that! Most popular is not allowed here!

RC Racer
    im leaning toward hitec 82. price seems right too

i was just hoping to get peoples like and dislike on what they have or tried
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-08-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you are going hitec go digital 5085mg

RC Racer
    thanks 50, if i go that route ill have to wait till next month. can still drive the car so maybe ill wiat

RC Qualifier
    The bluebird 390 is a direct drop in. That's what I'll be getting eventually.

RC Racer
    i havent been able to fine one, what do they run

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have switched my back and forth a few times. Both work fine. The hitec just needs a horn to be drop in

RC Racer
    i thought the hitec came with differnt horns with it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It has some that you can get by with then upgrade to an aluminium one later.
    I would also make a longer link from the horn to the steering servo
    you take two.end links and a cut down 2.5m bolt

Thanks. Nothing worse that a defective part taking something out and all the company does is give you a free bearing and no reimbursement for the part it damaged
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-09-2012 at 01:22 AM.

RC Racer
    thanks 50. saw what happend to your diff, sorry to see that.

RC Qualifier
    Here ya go...

Ah sorry didn't realize whole distributors are banned now...

EDIT: Since you have not realized this, please refrain from posting links that promote said distributor. Posting a Google Search link with said distributor's website listed as number one and number two in the search results is not permitted. Please do not try to bypass the forum rules. -cooleo
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-09-2012 at 03:40 PM.

RC Competitor
    Eventually I'm going 390's myself though, once those are dead I might try finding a way to make a futaba brand servo work in the merv chassi. Have a feeling though thats going to take some cutting some stripes of 18gauge alum an JB wells to adapt one to 1 screw mounting each side >_>

RC Racer
    i would like something that just works. it does it says it will and isnt a pain to put in

RC Qualifier
    Bluebird 390, or what I run, th HiTec 5085MG. Get a servo arm for it, and it works great. 1 tiny plastic gear in it though...
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Racer
    thanks moose, i dont bash hard. i dont ramp it or anything. just driving in the parking lot. i think thats what im leaning too. maybe the glitchyness will stop in the reciever when i get a new one as well

I stepped over to the Bluebird 390DMH a few days ago in my Merv, because the screw came lose from the Losi horn again which I used on my Hitec 85MG. Servo has worked as a charm. So does the Bluebird.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Racer
    thanks peter. the stock one just aint right, it wont come back to center. and im hoping thats whats messing with my receiver.

I did a long time with my first 2080 in my Merv and the one in my Mustang is still working great, but it isn't known as the most durable part in the 1/16 cars. Especially bigger wheels and tires ask for an upgrade. IMO you can't go wrong with either the Hitec or the Bluebid. The Bluebird fits in a little easier but needs a bit of dremmeling to fit best. Pro is that you can still use the stock horn.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Plus the shaft on the bluebird is in the stock location. The hitec is farther away

RC Racer
    thanks everyone, im going to look into the blubird a little more. they just seem a little harder to find

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have both never had a problem with the 5085. Works great

RC Racer
    now i should be able to just plug that in, set it to 0. then set end points.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Comes with a thin plastic horn I bought an aluminum one. And probably have to reverse the servo in the transmitter. Easy to do

RC Racer
    i can probably figure that out. hopefully i can get this car sorted out. so i can enjoy it again. and move on to more upgrades,

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Definitely one of the easier upgrades

RC Racer
    thanks 50. i know the servo will help, the biggest thing its doing is wandering a bit. im thinking its cause after i turn i car and start going again the wheels straighten themselfs out. like on a bicycle. not sure if something else could be causing it. any clues?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have you done an alignment? Settings could be off

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ptsdisntfun View Post
    thanks 50. i know the servo will help, the biggest thing its doing is wandering a bit. im thinking its cause after i turn i car and start going again the wheels straighten themselfs out. like on a bicycle. not sure if something else could be causing it. any clues?
    Are your tires wobbling when you're going slow and then they get better the faster you go?

I ran the 5085 servo for a while but stripped the plastic gear after about 3 weeks. I've since installed a Bluebird 390 servo with all metal gears and it's been great. With the Bluebird servo I used the stock servo horn and made an adjustable linkage with a long set screw and to extra shock ends. Without the adjustable linkage it would lock when turning all the way to the right with the EPA turned up to allow maximum steering.

***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You will hear 100 stories!
    Months ago I had a green servo last one ride and my one small plastic gear 5085 has been going strong ever since. Even through a 50 mph crash wheel first into the curb that tore out a cvd and broke the servo saver and more than a few high speed cartwheels
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-11-2012 at 09:43 AM.

RC Champion
    Bluebird rocks!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    You will hear 100 stories!
    Months ago I had a green servo last one ride and my one small plastic gear 5085 has been going strong ever since. Even through a 50 mph crash wheel first into the curb that tore out a cvd and broke the servo saver and more than a few high speed cartwheels
    Yes you will, my driving buddy still had the stock servo and he's just as rough on his truck as I am with mine.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Racer
    thanks everyone. i just did a full alignment, and the wheels have always been kina wobbly. i think its mostly the servo not recentering and in combination. i run on mostly smooth asphalt and its been colder out. stock tires are not hooking up. its fun i can power drift on it, but it doesnt always put on the power like i want it. i should go ahead and order the servo but im wanting to hold off. plus im losing signal here and there. its just hard to spend more money on it when i cant get it runninng right

RC Champion
    thanks everyone. i just did a full alignment, and the wheels have always been kina wobbly. i think its mostly the servo not recentering and in combination. i run on mostly smooth asphalt and its been colder out. stock tires are not hooking up. its fun i can power drift on it, but it doesnt always put on the power like i want it. i should go ahead and order the servo but im wanting to hold off. plus im losing signal here and there. its just hard to spend more money on it when i cant get it runninng right
    Some of the issue with the steering not centering can be caused by the servo saver/steering setup being worn out. Replacing that and adding the bearings will make a difference.

RC Racer
    thanks airmaxx. ive checked the saver and it seems fine. the toe links and hubs are brand new. i know after i turn the wheel and they dont recenter i can hear the servo whining. and when i had it all tore down. the servo seemed twitchy when centering itself. its like it has a little of play on center when everything is hooked up. ex... i can move the front wheels with my hand about 1/4 left and right and the the servo arm moving with the play.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    sounds like the servo doesn't have much left!

RC Racer
    its a ficky thing. i can drive it,but have to be carefull. iffy radio doesnt help either. its a shame, really slowing down my upgrade plans,

RC Qualifier
    I've had dble 2080s , an ht82, ht85, ht5085. The later being the best so far. Will use a 390 next.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Champion
    thanks airmaxx. ive checked the saver and it seems fine. the toe links and hubs are brand new. i know after i turn the wheel and they dont recenter i can hear the servo whining. and when i had it all tore down. the servo seemed twitchy when centering itself. its like it has a little of play on center when everything is hooked up. ex... i can move the front wheels with my hand about 1/4 left and right and the the servo arm moving with the play.
    One other thing to try is disconnect the servo from the steering, hold the cross bar still and see if there is still a lot of play in the steering. It's probably a combination of the servo being worn out (plastic gears) and possibly worn out hollow balls in the linkage. Do you still have the plastic balls in the turnbuckles or have you replaced them with metal ones? The FlySky FS-GT3B is a great controller for a very low price and extra receivers are less than $8 each.

RC Enthusiast
    My stock 2080 servo was junk, crapped out after a couple weeks. I now have the green servo that shall not be named and I'm lovin it!