RC Enthusiast

Question Help after first "dirt" run

Yesterday, I made my second run... A little more elaborate than the first (a bit more free space), a small piece of soil and a possible jumping point (less than 0.5m).

"I ran" until the batteries are exhausted, and returned home for the first thorough cleaning routine, which included the removal of the ESC module and batteries to see if there was much dirt to the chassis. And it really was! I wiped with a dry brush and just pulled all the dirt that had accumulated in the crevices and corners, but I realized that underneath the center driveshaft cover, MUCH dust, dirt and small stones accumulated, to the fullest extent of the driveshaft. From what I observed, all this dirt came through the opening in the chassis where it is the servo.

A solution to the whole mess would be a protection that covers the entire bottom of the chassis? I searched the list of Traxxas parts but found nothing specific for the Slash 4x4. Where to find such a protection (if any)?

Another point I wanted to pay attention now is the overheating of the motor and ESC. I know there is a cooler for the Traxxas ESC, but what if I also want to connect a heatsink + cooler to the engine? It is possible to connect the two together?

Well... Idk the mod to the driveshaft but you can just get an air compressor and all the dirt is gone.
    As with the esc it has a built in heatsink.
    I would worry about one for the motor
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    The collection in the center drive compartment is a common problem. To my knowledge there is no commercially made solution, Traxxas or otherwise. Many users manufacture their own plate out of sheet aluminum, there are a few pic samples posted here.

One bit of advice I always offer is to buy a small air compressor for blowing out after runs. It gets the debris out of the tight crevices and does a much better job than brushing it off. Ive always kept an air compressor around, no household should be without one. Comes in handy for other projects too, like running my pneumatic tools!

Edit:
    Im assuming you are running the Velineon system?
    If its the Titan motor dont bother.
    The most poplular heatsink/fan combo I see for this is the Integy.
    Best way to power it is just run it to your receiver box and plug it into any open channel.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 10-08-2012 at 08:07 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Friends, thank you for the answers.

The removal of dirt is not a big problem, although that I do not like having to perform a deep cleaning every use ... I have a good air compressor at home (semi-proficional) but is too noisy for the "environment" of the building where I live ... I'll arrange something smaller and quieter.

I'll look for these protections chassis here in the forum ... The cooler for the engine (stock slash 4x4 model, Velineon), some indication of brand/model?
    Slash 4x4 + TeknoRC Bigbone Center Drivshft

RC Qualifier
    Integny makes a heat sink for the velineon, I had one when I had that setup, only problem I encountered when running in dirt, which you do, it destroyed the fan blades. As for cleaning, I use an electric leaf blower.
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

Hello and welcome to the addiction and the forum! If you are concerned about the motor temperature I suggest getting a heatsink with a single fan. Integy makes a quality unit. If you search the forum tou will find several solutions to getting dirt in the driveshaft tunnel. An Outwears cover will help to keep your chassis clean. If you have questions, we are here to help. Ask away!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    if u running the stock traxxas system why not wash down with water? Then get a leaf blower of air compressor and blow the majority of the water away. After that use wd40 where bearings are and metal components are to avoid rust.

RC Champion
    http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...J101-p508.html
    I run this. Aftermarket front bumper will have to be trimmed a lottle no big deal it really helps.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...J101-p508.html
    I run this. Aftermarket front bumper will have to be trimmed a lottle no big deal it really helps.

Wow, it's a good idea, but does not prevent the entry of dirt ... Simply reverse the car on earth that will surely dirt anyway ...

However, this gave me the idea of ​​making my own protection using PET bottle!

RC Racer
    u can do the driveshaft mod like el sob stated. I have it on my truck an have yet to get any rocks into the shaft.

RC Enthusiast
    Solved the problem with excess temperature! I bought a cooler for the ESC and also one for the engine.

Missing only the issue of sealing the driveshaft ... I'm looking for solutions "fullcover" by an aesthetic issue and also to add a little mechanic resistance . Could someone point out where I found something similar here in the forum? At least in the area of the Slash 4x4, I have not found anything yet ...

RC Champion
    I run strictly dirt no racin just havin fun. I removed the stock drive shaft cover and with the t-bone servo protector I have had NO problems in months. I also use the outerwears cover so i would guess if dirt was getting in it would have no way out. After a pack or 2 I have a little residue inside but nothing to worry about.