RC Racer

Mental Stampede 4x4 on 4s...how do I keep it from launching on its rear wheels

I'm sure this question could apply to any RC Car, but this is for one of my Stampedes running a Castle Mamba Monster 2 with a 2650kv Castle motor.

On 4s with an 18/54 gear setup, this thing is geared to hit a top speed of 85mph or 136kmh (for my fellow Aussies out there). This is according to the Tqi telemetry which I have installed on the car. I cannot keep the four wheels on the ground once I hit 60mph so I need to play with the setup to see what real road speed I can hit with this bad boy.

I have loosened the slipper to 1.25 turns from tight to try and reduce the wheelies and softened the suspension quite a bit. This is an 8.8pound Pede so it does droop on the softer springs.

My question to the forums is what is the best way to get all this power to the ground so I can hit top speed in a straight line? I'd love to be able to get close to the 85mph mark or even somewhere between 70-75mph which the car could hit if I could keep it from launching backward.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Too much power in a relatively short car like the Pede, will always make it's nose light. What you could consider is a center diff. That will reduce the wheelies, but the disadvantage will be ballooning front wheels.
    IMO the best solution is a very gentle throttle finger.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Too much power in a relatively short car like the Pede, will always make it's nose light. What you could consider is a center diff. That will reduce the wheelies, but the disadvantage will be ballooning front wheels.
    IMO the best solution is a very gentle throttle finger.
    I've already taped my Trenchers with Gorilla tape to prevent ballooning. I definitely take off easy and don't punch the throttle much or else it's a flipper.

I know the problem. I have a 2650Kv in my Pede too. On 4S it's a beast. I remember when I used G-Locs on it, the taking off was way more easy than with the grippy Trenchers.
    Nobody is born with experience

Maybe use the castle link and tone down the punch/throttle control dude.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I think the center diff is only rated at 2s. Not 3 or 4s.

Yeah they melt on any thing over 2s and the aluminium ones have failed on 3s too.....peace

In my eyes the biggest issue how high the car is going to sit on Talons or Trenchers, it will let too much air get under the truck making it want t5o lift. I think you need lower profile tires and a gearing adjustment to match the smaller tires. Get the ride height low and maybe a little lower in the front than the rear so you have in effect a wedge. Adding some weight might also help keep the truck planted.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Awesome idea dad would dirt hawgs on desperados after the truck has been lowered be up to the job.....peace

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Awesome idea dad would dirt hawgs on desperados after the truck has been lowered be up to the job.....peace
    I have never pushed my Hawgs that far so cant say for sure. I think G-Locs would be a better choice tho or some GRP Buggy tires but that would need 17mm adapters I thi8nk.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Yeah 80mph is a lot to ask from the tyres unless they have been designed to travel that fast.....peace

RC Qualifier
    How bout buying a XO-1 if you wanna go that fast! You need more downforce with a longer wheelbase. Unless you really weigh down the p4de, it will not be stable at very high speeds. Even then you won't have good control over it. Unless you do lots of mods and a totally different body that produces more downforce and get the suspension to hug the ground. Oh and like others mentioned get some tires that are made to go that fast. Look at all the engineering that went into the XO-1 to get it be aerodynamic enough that it will go 100mph...
    The message above or below may or may not be true

Someone on YouTube has already done over a 120mph with a pede 4x4 dude it's just plain mental....peace

RC Racer
    What about running a longer wider wheelie bar? Kind of like dragsters but that may help for speed runs

RC Racer
    Thanks for the replies. Some good suggestions and made me think a little more about how I can achieve higher speeds. I will look at tyres, body, springs and a front down force aid and see how I go.

The proline bulldog and rustler body's would be the ticket for high speed craziness dude......peace..ps I want a vid