Same Old New Stuff... Thanks Traxxas (Ranting about Traxxas Names)

[Rant]

Traxxas really surprised us with the new dragster, I would have never thought they would have gone into a niche market like that, but here we are. One of the key things about it is its total lack of versatility, most Traxxas RCs can be reconfigured to be other things, but the only thing I can see doing with the dragster is using the axles to make a crawler...

Now the 1/10 Rally is out, which has a lot of us, me included pretty excited. No, really don't want a rally car, like a lot of Slash 4x4 owners, I want its chassis... Hello E-Bay! But, in reality, it is just a 4x4 Slash with a lower chassis and shorter arms; just like the 2x4 Slash is just a Rustler with longer arms and a much cooler body...

Everyone at work knows I am a RC geek, so when they are thinking about getting into it (beyond the toy-grade) I always bring up Traxxas, newb friendly, tough as nails and reasonably priced. But, I normally lose them when I start talking about the indiviual RCs, having to explain the difference between two RCs that have the same drive train, but slightly different chassis and arms. It would make A LOT more sense if Traxxas would rethink its naming convention and do something a little more practical and easier to understand.

Take a look at the trucks with the Magnum 272 tranny, you could lump them into one name with a designator, call them all "Slash"...

Slash SC = Slash 2x4
    Slash MT = Stampede 2x4
    Slash T = Rustler
    Slash B = Bandit
    (Plus, I have never been a fan of the cowboyish names, 'Bandit'... Really?!?)

The 4x4s would need a name of their own, lets say "Phantom", any name will do really...
    Phantom SC = Slash 4x4
    Phantom MT = Stampede 4x4
    Phantom R = 1/10 Rally (at least they didn't come up with a corny name for this one)
    Phantom T = For that Rustler-like 4x4 that the Rally will be turned into.
    Phantom B = For the Backslash crowd.

Some Traxxas naming conventions have made sense, T-Maxx and E-Maxx. Although, I always thought it should have been N-Maxx, but T-Maxx sounds cooler and T=Traxxas. Look at all of the 1/16 Traxxas RCs, imagine how simpler it would be to understand if they were disignated by what they were and not by the 1/10 scale counterparts. The hard one would be the E-Revo, it would be called Revo MT, what would you call the Summit, Revo RR (Rock Racer)? Or Revo L (lockable Diff)? You already have the Revo SC in the Slayer, but now we are bringing Nitro into the mix, its a dying bread, let it go peacefully...

Plus, by going to a more practical naming convention you'd be saving the moderators time, and the forum servers LOTS of disk space, imagine how much room all of the, "Can I convert my 2x4 Slash in to a 4x4?" threads takes up...

Once again, Thanks Traxxas for the LCG 4x4 Slash chassis, next I want RC names that make sense.

[/Rant]
    Last edited by Greatscott; 10-07-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Typo-riffic!!!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Traxxas is into making money, why do you think they're succesful? Part standardization keeps costs down and extensive demographic research keeps profits up!
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

Quote Originally Posted by lubecakes View Post
    Traxxas is into making money, why do you think they're succesful? Part standardization keeps costs down and extensive demographic research keeps profits up!
    In no way am I knocking Traxxas for making cross-compatable parts, it makes sense. Its their naming conventions that don't.

"Hello, Grandma? Yeah, Billy wants a Slash for Christmas."

"Okay, I'll run down to Walmart and get one...oh, a hobby shop you say? Alright...
    I'm at Helpers-Rn't-Us Hobbies. After 95 minutes of waiting, they asked me if it's a Slash SC, MT, T, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, or XXXL I'm looking for...Uh-huh. Uh-huh...You're right. Let's just get him a puppy. I wish these names weren't so confusing."
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Now the 1/10 Rally is out, which has a lot of us, me included pretty excited. No, really don't want a rally car, like a lot of Slash 4x4 owners, I want its chassis... Hello E-Bay! But, in reality, it is just a 4x4 Slash with a lower chassis and shorter arms; just like the 2x4 Slash is just a Rustler with longer arms and a much cooler body...
    Actually the 4x4 Slash and 1/10th Rally have the same suspension arms. And the 2wd slash has shorter arms in the back than the Rustler; and a completely different chassis.

Slash SC = Slash 2x4
    Slash MT = Stampede 2x4
    Slash T = Rustler
    Slash B = Bandit
    (Plus, I have never been a fan of the cowboyish names, 'Bandit'... Really?!?)

The 4x4s would need a name of their own, lets say "Phantom", any name will do really...
    Phantom SC = Slash 4x4
    Phantom MT = Stampede 4x4
    Phantom R = 1/10 Rally (at least they didn't come up with a corny name for this one)
    Phantom T = For that Rustler-like 4x4 that the Rally will be turned into.
    Phantom B = For the Backslash crowd.
    Our vehicles have different names because they are different vehicles. Having done customer service on the phone, I appreciate that they have different names. If every car has the same name, the average consumer assumes they are the same. Having 25 different vehicles with the same name vs 25 different names is way more confusing. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl

"Okay, I'll run down to Walmart and get one...oh, a hobby shop you say? Alright...
    I'm at Helpers-Rn't-Us Hobbies. After 95 minutes of waiting, they asked me if it's a Slash SC, MT, T, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, or XXXL I'm looking for...Uh-huh. Uh-huh...You're right. Let's just get him a puppy. I wish these names weren't so confusing."
    ^^Truth
    Last edited by 3_rolls; 10-08-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Roll cages are RC training wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

They sell Traxxas at Walmart?

Point taken, but "Rustler" and "Stampede" aren't any better, poor old Nana looking through the Hoody-Doody collection; now, all of a suddent Timmy is getting toy coyboy boots for Christmas! Terrible stuff this is!

We're in Texas, we're all cowboys. . .
    Roll cages are RC training wheels

They sell Traxxas at Walmart?
    Of course they don't. That's why Grandma had to go to the hobby store! C'mon - Keep Up!

RC Champion
    I've got to agree with 3 rolls and ksb51rl, and no I'm not sucking up lol

Naming them the same would just cause a lot of confusion.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Of course they don't. That's why Grandma had to go to the hobby store! C'mon - Keep Up!
    They were selling traxxas r/c's at toys r us and are now selling em at future shop and best buy now, so walmart doesnt seem that far off. Lol

At least best buy and future shop are carrying 350+ vehicles/parts at prices that are lower than my lhs. Now i can go into these stores knowing full well that they will know absolutely nothing about the traxxas products, rather than heading to the lhs and listen to them hand out bad advice while trying to sound like they know what theyre talking about. Haha

You know what they say.... Its better to just stand there and look like an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove it. My lhs proves it every time!
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 10-08-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Small point: at the prices they were asking (at least @ BestBuy) I'd term it "offering for sale" rather than "selling," haha.
    Anyway, I'm not positive futureshop counts - it's in canada. (Ducking as snowballs and hockey pucks fly my way.)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    They were selling traxxas r/c's at toys r us and are now selling em at future shop and best buy now, so walmart doesnt seem that far off. Lol

At least best buy and future shop are carrying 350+ vehicles/parts at prices that are lower than my lhs. Now i can go into these stores knowing full well that they will know absolutely nothing about the traxxas products, rather than heading to the lhs and listen to them hand out bad advice while trying to sound like they know what theyre talking about. Haha

You know what they say.... Its better to just stand there and look like an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove it. My lhs proves it every time!
    when did best buy start selling rcs. i thought you were full of it till i searched best buy. who would have thunk it. but they are over priced.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Small point: at the prices they were asking (at least @ BestBuy) I'd term it "offering for sale" rather than "selling," haha.
    Anyway, I'm not positive futureshop counts - it's in canada. (Ducking as snowballs and hockey pucks fly my way.)
    Come on now! Lol. The reason Future shop counts to me because they offer about 300 more traxxas products than my lhs does, and the 16 yr old kid selling them likely knows more. As for best buy's prices...as high as their prices are, its a 20% discount over the lhs prices. I would prefer to support the lhs, so hopefully these other distributors will bring his prices back down to a reasonable level. But if not, then itll be his own fault when his doors close for good.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas View Post
    I've got to agree with 3 rolls and ksb51rl, and no I'm not sucking up lol

Naming them the same would just cause a lot of confusion.
    There would be chaos and bedlam for the Traxxas faithful if the name changed. Everyone else would finally understand what truck was what, this is what other RC companies do...

Quote Originally Posted by 3_rolls View Post
    We're in Texas, we're all cowboys. . .
    Ewww... I try to look past that fact, but every company has its faults...

...and about that Walmart thing, if memory serves, they did take a venture into hobby grade RCs that were nitro powered. They ended up getting sued because someone hurt themselves.

Its cool to see Traxxas RCs sold outside of the LHS, but I don't understand why they have to jack up the prices. But, that does explain all of those Craig's List adds offering up bone-stock Stampedes and Slashes for $400.

There would be chaos and bedlam for the Traxxas faithful if the name changed. Everyone else would finally understand what truck was what, this is what other RC companies do...
    Seems to me you are putting the cart in front of the horse. Other RC companies should take a lesson from Traxxas not the other way around. After all Traxxas is the #1 selling RC company out there.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Windows is the #1 selling O/S, I think there is room for improvement. Unlike Microsoft, Traxxas' product line is fine, I just think the product names need tweaking.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Ouch..... lots of pucks to spare at this point..... They are one and the same company.funny part is there are one of each in the same mall here
    With a Walmart for good measure

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

So let me get this straight.....

You would prefer if parts are shared by other models that the names should also be shared?

The 2.8L 4 cylinder engine in a Dodge Neon is the same engine as the Dodge Caravan and has other shared parts... So I take it that the Dodge Neon (came out after the Caravan) should have been called the Dodge Caravan Coupe?

The Cadillac CTS is made from a lot of Corvette parts, So would it be the Cadillac CTS Corvette edition?

Traxxas isn't the first, nor the last of companies that share a great deal of parts for different models...

Wow, I've got bigger fish to fry than to be so concerned... And their name choosing is done from marketing research as well as their design....

Just my thoughts on this...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    The Bandit name might be cowboy-ish, but I like it. In fact, if there's ever a new 1/10 buggy from Traxxas that replaces the Bandit I'd call it the Desperado

The Bandit and Rustler names work perfectly together, plus there's a lot of heritage there. I wouldn't want Ford to rename the Mustang (kinda cowboy-ish too) something lame like Ford RS8... yuck,..

Traxxas specifically did NOT append numbers or letter designators to the names of existing vehicles. That has already been done to death by other companies and has achieved distinctively homogenous sounding results. (Yes, that is exactly the same only completely different) Am I losing you here? Good! That's how the phone conversation works out too. We did make the exception with the Villain.

"I have a Villain and it does not work"
    "Great! That is the Villain with one battery, correct?"
    "Uh... no it has 2 batteries"
    "So, the Villain EX then, with the orange or blue speed control."
    "Uh... no?"
    "Ok, the Villain IV with the mechanical speed control or the BXL-1 speed control with the red heat sinks?"
    "Uh... Its blue"

With all the iterations of the T-Maxx we run into the same issue.

"I just got a T-Maxx from a garage sale and it does not start or go in reverse. What model is it?"
    "What engine does it have?"
    "The engine says OS and the suspension arms are blue"

By the time we work through OptiDrive receiver box color etc... we have killed more time than the actual troubleshooting takes. Letter and number designations only make sense to experienced hobbyists who wouldn't be caught dead calling us to ask for help anyway. They call us to ask for a job. For new customers, anything beyond the main part of the name is confusing and only serves to frustrate them (and us) when they need help.

Oh and Greatscott, YEEHAW!!! We are thinking of releasing a "Calgary Stampede" just for canada!
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    The Bandit name might be cowboy-ish, but I like it. In fact, if there's ever a new 1/10 buggy from Traxxas that replaces the Bandit I'd call it the Desperado ...
    I think the "desesperado" is a bit controversial for the people who talk Spanish, because "desesperado" means : desperate.
    And it can be understood in good or bad ways.
    Just my opinion
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

Quote Originally Posted by DBG View Post
    I think the "desesperado" is a bit controversial for the people who talk Spanish, because "desesperado" means : desperate.
    And it can be understood in good or bad ways.
    Just my opinion
    It wouldn't be the first time a US company made a faux pa in Spanish... Look at the Chevy Nova...

One thing I find surprising is how defensive you guys are about this, like it is almost a sin against Traxxas to suggest their naming convention could be improved... I considered this topic in the same light as the "what do we want to see next from Traxxas" thread.

The simple fact is I'll continue to buy Traxxas RCs, just as long as they produce RCs like they have now and they contunue to stand behind their products.

It's not defensive, we just see it differently - pretty unanimously so far.

Look at the Chevy Nova...
    LOL. Chevy Nova= "no go"
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    LOL. Chevy Nova= "no go"
    Nice... I didn't know you know talk in spanish
    Ps: excellent translation.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

Nice... I didn't know you know talk in Spanish
    Ps: excellent translation.
    LOLOLOLOL!!!! I don't speak Spanish... I just guessed... I read that in my favorite book. Can you guess what the book is called? The World's Worst Cars.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    VERY interesting thread! I find myself in the Hobby shop looking at the Losi line and the "TEAM A" stuff... I still have no idea what those stinkin' letters and numbers mean but SOMEONE out there can sure cipher better than me and loses me every time. I consider myself an educated man, with 3 college degrees, a real estate license, certified Dive Master, ASE certifications and a wife that is constantly schooling me on all things "marriage". With that said, I still can't figure it out.

OK, I have to give it to ya, if you're going to use the same platform and a different body with a different purpose....MAYBE you could call it the same thing....MAYBE. I think you have a point, YES, the naming convention could have a common theme but since I have been buying TRAXXAS since 1992, I can tell ya, they have a COMPLETELY different market startegy and it works well to keep the novice buyer from feeling overwhelmed. I think Nitrochicken makes several great points and I am glad someone from TRAXXAS chimed in so we could hear their view.

Bottom line in my book....we all know the line from Tommy Boy, you can get a good look at a T-bone.....there are more than one way of doing things and TRAXXAS chooses to do it "Their way". I'm happy with it and the product.
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 10-12-2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: I'm Old

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    LOLOLOLOL!!!! I don't speak Spanish... I just guessed... I read that in my favorite book. Can you guess what the book is called? The World's Worst Cars.
    Ah....ok.... but is correct if you divide No-va
    No= is "no" (really??? )
    Va= is "go"
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Why would you call a stampede a slash mt?? The pede was out first. If anything it should be a stampede sc. Just saying

Sent from my iShpod touch using Tapatalk 2000
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede