RC Enthusiast

TRX 3.3 maintenance

What is the maintenance you do to your TRX 3.3 engine after each running?

Do you use Afte Run oil?

Quote Originally Posted by RoeeV View Post
    What is the maintenance you do to your TRX 3.3 engine after each running?

Do you use Afte Run oil?
    If I am going to run my Nitro within a week or less I don't bother... But If I'm not sure, I run my tank empty and am careful not to run the engine at high rpm's when finishing off the fuel. Traxxas recommends WD-40 but after run oil is fine. I use After Run Oil or marvel mystery oil because WD-40 is not recommended on other Nitro engines due to the type of o-rings used....
    I secure some fuel line onto my after run oil bottle, remove the fuel line off the carb, loosen the glow plug and give a little squeese and turn over the engine until I see a little of the oil seeping under the glow plug, then I just tighten it down. This will work your oil completely through the engine's internals and prevents dirt contamination through the glow plug hole...

When you use after run oil or WD-40... Make sure you clean your cooling head and/or around the carb before you remove your air filter or glow plug... It takes just 1 grain of send to fall in and your nitro engine will not last much longer after that...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

Yep, I always use ARO. (After run oil) It helps to not put too much ARO in though, it really sucks when you have to take out the glow plug to get some of the oil out because it won't start....
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Yep, I always use ARO. (After run oil) It helps to not put too much ARO in though, it really sucks when you have to take out the glow plug to get some of the oil out because it won't start....
    Just loosen the glowplug when you go to start it, once started tighten it back up, you should find this easier...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

Just loosen the glowplug when you go to start it, once started tighten it back up, you should find this easier...
    Good idea... Never thought of doing that... I was just doing what it says in the manuel.... Guess I learn somthing new everyday!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Traxxas recommend using WD-40 so thats what I use, if its recommended by the manufacturer then you can't go wrong.
    The silicon ramp in the crank of some engines is effected & damaged by the WD-40 thats why its not recommended to use in them but the TRX engines must be different so its not effected by WD-40. If it was going to damage any part of the engine then I doubt that Traxxas would tell people to use it.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Enthusiast
    After I'm done running for the day I clean all my trucks off with an air compressor, making sure to get the areas around the glowplug, fuel tank cap, and carb good and dirt free. If I know I'm not gonna be running them for a few days I pull the glow plug and air filter off and spray WD-40 in the carb and engine, then give it a couple spins with the ezstart to make sure it gets into the internals good. Also, unless I have a breakdown, I always make sure to run out all the fuel in the tank before I'm done. I have a bunch of spare filters I keep in my toolbox so if I see the filter looks dirty I'll change it and have it all ready to go the next time.

If I'm really bored, I'll take the time to clean up the chassis and suspension with a rag, then spray them with some more WD-40, wiping off any excess. really makes em shine, and makes the next cleanup easier. I was never a fan of WD-40 before I got into this hobby, but now it's a must have item on my workbench.

RC Racer
    An air compressor comes in pretty handy for cleaning the crap off, mine always gets blown down after each use & I agree with the WD-40 for cleaning other parts, brings them up like new sometimes. A small paint brush can also come in handy for getting into the tight places to brush some of the stubborn stuff off that the compressor couldn't blow off.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO