Thread: Slash in Sand

RC Qualifier

Slash in Sand

Does anyone here run thier 4x4 in the sand? I can never finish a battery pack before my spur or pinion wears out. I've tried from spacing the gears so much that the teeth just sheared off the spur, my nitros and e maxx ran all summer with same gearing why can't my slash last longer than 10 mins???

Also is there an alminum center diff for the 4x4 thanks

RC Champion
    I havent tried running in sand personally but it is quite a load. The gear mesh should be set by putting a piece of paper between the pinion and spr and pusing them tightely together then locking it down and taking the paper out.

The only aluminum center diff housing I know is is manufactured by FLM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks,I tried the paper trick, I've used a few kinds of paper and double paper you name it I tried it,I have no idea why, any where else the spur lasts until I run in sand.I don't know of I should glue around the skid plate there must be a lot of sand getting in and wearing out the spur. The 2wd runs fine in sand but not the 4x4

Sent from my galaxy note using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    Switch to a 32 pitch pinion/spur combination. Check out Robinson Racing Gears.
    Aluminum differential. FAST LANE MACHINE. Top notch! !

Sent from Mars Curiosity.
    Last edited by BAD RC; 10-04-2012 at 03:44 AM.

RC Qualifier
    its already has 32 pitch or .08 mod gears ,how are the pinion wearing out ,are they breaking teeth,dull ,sharp ,can you post up a pics . my truck has no problem in the sand with gears i also run an outerwear cover ,and by any chance are you ending up in the water

RC Qualifier
    I'll try and post pics, but my pinion, a novak 15T and 16T both wore out, the teeth are "rolled back" and the spur looks like kinda of the same like a tooth broke and that section wore out and some spurs every thooth is missing.

No water running I've added a RR hardened steel pinion over looks be way bettter quality than the stock the mesh is a lot nicer as well, but its to nice and expensive to ruin in 10 mins of sand running, or until i figure out way my truck is eating gears. I added a new bearing and center diff housing incase there was some slop, didn't seem to be, I have the traxxas alumnum mount, I think I have all the TRX aluminum slash parts.

RC Qualifier
    Is your motor mount tweaked at all?

Mine was after a really bad landing, and the motor was slightly skewed, and caused the pinion to be slightly skewed against the spur gear.

RC Champion
    I love running in the sand. The key is to make sure all the entries are sealed up. But you will still destroy spurs running in the sand with the 32 pitch. I am going to switch to Mod1 and not worry anymore about the sand and lil pebbles.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    I had an interesting conversation with a tech at castle about mesh, the gap should be approx .75 to 1mm then you thick stock computer paper or double up on regular notebook type to check the mesh.

You could in fact use a scribe to mark the correct mesh once set from the motor plate to the mount. This would change depending on spurs and pinions used so would only be practical if one combination was used, but who does that?
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Racer
    Possible the rotor shaft has play or slightly bent?

RC Qualifier
    no the rotor bent on my stock motor, I know have a 5mm mamba max pro sct with dual fans.

so the left is the 15 tooth and the right is the 16, the 15 got ate up real bad.

This all happened in a short time the 16 tooth never got through the whole pack, there might be 2 packs on the 15, but the spurs are worse, i didnt get a pic because i tossed them right away.

RC Qualifier
    i find that my 2wd with paddles goes faster, runs longer and all around more fun in the sand. the 4x4 just has way too many opportunities for "beach erosion". if 4x4 is your only ride though,....invest in an outerwear.

RC Qualifier
    I would like a 2wd, I was looking for a 2wd RPM roller on ebay like the 4x4 but could not find one.

RC Qualifier
    by your pinions your not runing them tight enough, too much play in between the gear thats why the tops are rolled over also run robinson racing pinions i cracked to novaks so i dont run them anymore
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-05-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Content

RC Racer
    I had the same issue. I run mine on the beach a lot. The sand eats up the gears. I ended up with a proline belly pan ( can't remember name of it ) and a outer wear cover. Keeps inside much much cleaner
    Your signature is not appropriate Please change it

RC Champion
    I run in the sand often and even on the street I run without the gear cover or driveshaft cover. I find it just keeps the debris in rather let it out every time i flip.

RC Racer
    Are you running paddles or stock tires? The torque, plus added traction from the paddles will eat your pinions quick.

RC Qualifier
    I run both stocks, and paddles, I also have calibers but they are way to slippery in sand.

I'm going to glue up around the skid plate area and I have a clear gear cover coming so I can look in time to time,

What is a good truck cover and shock covers to put on? i think a lot of sand is coming in from the top some how or the front of the drive shaft.

RC Qualifier
    Just found these, I also ordered some dusty motors cover for the slash and e maxx

RC Champion
    One problem I see with running in sand is its going to get trapped in front end of the rear skid plate, you know that part that looks like a big spoon when you pull the rear end off. Once it gets in there its not going anywhere until you flip it over. Might be a good idea to cut a slot in the bottom to let the sand out.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    One problem I see with running in sand is its going to get trapped in front end of the rear skid plate, you know that part that looks like a big spoon when you pull the rear end off. Once it gets in there its not going anywhere until you flip it over. Might be a good idea to cut a slot in the bottom to let the sand out.
    I'm going to see if I can make a slit where sand will exit and not be forced in, I belive there is a small hole there already I may make it a little bigger or make another one on the opposite side,

RC Champion
    It's never been an issue for me when I run.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    You make an interesting point.. Why not seal up the rear end with rtv. Run a bead of rtv along that section of the rear assembly before you install it, let the rtv sit, and it should seal that off.
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Champion
    Sealing it off could be an alternative too. I was just looking at the stock chassis I have and I can totally see sand piling up in there and the spur gear steadily dipping into it and bringing the sand up into the mesh like a food mixer which is Im sure is what the problem here is with the gears getting "sand blasted". Only 3 ways to fix it. 1) dont run in sand, but thats no fun. 2) make a hole large enough so the sand doesnt pile up in the bottom. 3) seal it off so nothing can get in there. Ive seen lots of folks try all kinds of things to seal that area up to keep debris from entering. What I havent seen is a successful attempt at it yet. Not saying its impossible, just havent seen a successful attempt yet. Kind of like water issues with anything. If you cant keep it from getting in then give it a place to drain out.

RC poster
    I run on the beach with paddles and have same issues. I have the Outerwears cover and it helps a little. I plugged up the wholes on the rear diff with silicon and it still gets ate up. Grains of sand are small and I think its just the nature of the beast. Running silicon or RTV around the gear cover is my next move.

RC Qualifier
    I might get a 2wd roller of Ebay, they seen to work better in sand, now I just need to find a cheap esc.

I'm thinking the sand is coming in from the front of the drive shaft.

I'm also wondering what all hardened steel spur and pinion would be like, run a 19 /50 combo,I bet if you could rig up a small brush to limit the sand flying into the gear mesh.

When I took my gear cover off the whole area was full of sand

RC poster
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I am using this, not running in strictly sand but it seems to keep alot of the dirt out compared to not having it on.
    homemade out of thin aluminum.

RC Qualifier
    I've got that one mine as well.

Heres from today.

They never stripped but its real close

Bottom of my slash

Emaxx on the other hand loves sand, 2 years and no stripped spurs or pinions, and i use it a lot!!

Running is sand is a lot of fun!, the 4x4 rips so hard with the center diff, I guess it keeps the truck from doing a wheeelie.

RC Qualifier
    Don't think this will help much who knows. i've epoxy ed around most of these areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olZNR...eature=related

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    I might get a 2wd roller of Ebay, they seen to work better in sand, now I just need to find a cheap esc.

I'm thinking the sand is coming in from the front of the drive shaft.

I'm also wondering what all hardened steel spur and pinion would be like, run a 19 /50 combo,I bet if you could rig up a small brush to limit the sand flying into the gear mesh.

When I took my gear cover off the whole area was full of sand
    Thats pretty much what I was thinking with the gear box filling with sand. I dont think it will matter what gears you put in there, they will fail if the sand piles up in there. the hardened will just last longer but not be cost effective as they are much more expensive. Either have to seal it off or open it up.

RC Qualifier
    its almost impossible to keep all the sand out, fill the drive shaft tube with grease. that wouild keep the water out, the silicon around the cover top and bottom. i may try one time just to see if it works.

RC Qualifier