RC Qualifier

Bullet proof slipper clutch question?

I want to switch from 48p to 32p spur. Is it a simple as just replacing the 48 spur with a 32p spur? I realize the pinion will have to be a 32p also. What are my options other than stock plastic spur. I ordered the FLM diff and Robinson steel idler. I just want to make sure I am getting the best parts available. Thanks.

RC Champion
    There are many threads on whats needed if you search around. But I feel the 48p gears work fine if your mesh is set properly. Even a Castle 2400 on 3s is not enough to kill them with proper mesh. But it is powerful enough to eat VXL idlers which are 32p and metal.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    +1 to what Reaper said. And I haven't done a metal spur myself but unless you are oval racing or only doing speed runs I personally wouldn't recommend a metal spur. You're moving the weak spot to your transmission internals. Spurs are cheap and easy to replace. I keep a few spares on hand because on rare occasions I have stripped one or chucked teeth on it. Usually due to lots of hard jumpsand a motor mount screw gets loose. Just my opinion. If you didn't already know the 32p gears are a little noisy. Some folks care and some don't.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Racer
    I like my 32p gears in the sense i dont need a gear cover. Get the jato spur gear and the emaxx pinion. I believe that the largest spur is the 58 tooth. Any larger and it rubs the driveshaft.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I only run 48p gearing with the castle 2400kv motor on 3s, and i run a steel spur gear. As Reaper said above, the correct mesh is the key to longevity of the spur/pinion gears. Even with the hardened steel spur, my gearing at 35/73, the slipper ran very tight, running mip x-duty cvds and trenchers on 3s lipo, i have had no problems with stripping gears. Im not saying that stripping gears couldnt happen, but i am putting a lot of force on my gears with no issues so far, but i inspect and if necessary, rebuild my transmission fIrly often. The Mesh of the internal transmission gears is also very important to consider, and can only be kept in check by routine inspection maintenance and replacement of the trans bearings. If the bearings develop slop, so does the internal gear mesh.

One of the reasons i stay with the 48p gearing is because there are a more precise gearing options. The other reason is because my 5 year old son handles my truck a lot (mostly when i make him flip it back over) and little fingers and large toothed gears isnt a good combo, so its safer to run the gear cover. Also, i run an aluminum gear cover which offers more cooling surface when mated to an aluminum trans case.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Baldy D. I love reading your HR thread. I too am trying to build a beast. I just purchased a complete REM alum kit. I am having it anodized black. Patiently waiting on it to come in! I noticed you use HR spurs. I take it they are holding up well for you!thanks again for your input!

RC Champion
    A steel spur will last longer but its more rotational mass and it eats the pinions faster. So unless you want that look I would stick with the plastic ones. Its also nice to have a easy to get to weak point. (even though they refuse to die)
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    A steel spur will last longer but its more rotational mass and it eats the pinions faster. So unless you want that look I would stick with the plastic ones. Its also nice to have a easy to get to weak point. (even though they refuse to die)
    You wright reaper. The plastic spurs have been solid for me so far. The only time I have stripped a plastic spur was during a crash. A spur is easy to change out. Thanks for ur input.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Oh for sure man, and im not too concerned about the look, as i always run a gear cover (although it does look pretty good). Im using the HR steel spurs because they come in lower tooth counts than the stock ones, (i.e. 72t) which allows more room for me to run 40+ tooth pinions to take advantage of the power of the 2400 on 3s without modifying the transmission case. As for rotating mass, heck yeah. The HR steel spurs weigh in at 15.19 grams while the stock ones are 5.27 grams, So the steel spurs wouldnt be beneficial at all for use with lower powered motors, but has caused no temperature increase at all on my motor, nor has it affected my trucks acceleration or top speed. Regardless of which spur or pinion is used, when they are made of differing materials, one gear will always wear out faster than the other so thats not a factor that is caused by using a steel spur. In my case, the pinion now becomes the weakest point because i use aluminum pinions, its just not as much of a weak point as when i was using a plastic spur.

Oh yeah, and since youve likely had more experience than me with the older pedes, have you ever put the steel idler and top gears from an old school pede next to the steel gears they make now? I recently rebuilt an old pede that had a plastic diff and the steel gears in that trans were nearly black while todays gears are grey. I wonder if theres a difference in the hardness of the metal between the old and new, cuz the old ones look like hardened carbon steel.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Hey baldy you should check this new Triad Slipper Clutch Assy from AvidRC. They are out of stock for the Stock 72/76 Spur gears, they also have a Mod 81/84, both kits include 2 spurs which I just mentioned. This is an AE clutch assy, so you could buy the ST Racing Concepts layshaft to run this. The reason i'm suggesting this is they offer a 69T spur. LOL Plus this assy looks fuuureeeaking awesome. rag6 mentioned this in another part of the forum a week or so ago. I keep going back to the website to see if they have come back in stock. I'm going to give them a call later today and see if I can get some juicy info from them. You might not even be interested but thought i'd share it with ya. I'm going to take a stab at it on one of my rigs. I'll prolly pick up a handful of different spurs when placing the order. If you think its somthing good grab some of their bearings to.

Here's a couple of shots of the Triad Slipper Assy.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    The HR steel spurs weigh in at 15.19 grams while the stock ones are 5.27 grams, So the steel spurs wouldnt be beneficial at all for use with lower powered motors, but has caused no temperature increase at all on my motor, nor has it affected my trucks acceleration or top speed.

Oh yeah, and since youve likely had more experience than me with the older pedes, have you ever put the steel idler and top gears from an old school pede next to the steel gears they make now? I recently rebuilt an old pede that had a plastic diff and the steel gears in that trans were nearly black while todays gears are grey. I wonder if theres a difference in the hardness of the metal between the old and new, cuz the old ones look like hardened carbon steel.
    Rotational mass is not a big issue if you have enough power. But if its stopped to fast then it can cause some damege. Just about all your parts are upgraded to the point that its not a problem. But the input pins and idler are probably still taking a beating especially with the stopping power the larger 550's have. At least your not running the Robinsions Racing slipper setup. That thing is so unbelievably heavy.

As to the gear material there are differences. There are the black colored gears which seem to be stronger and the pot metal ones that like to throw teeth. The black ones are usually labeled for the older models but the part number is the same as the pot metal ones. A few months ago I bought some of the replacement input gears and they were black even though most VXL gears are pot metal. I am not sure why there are different ones. It could be that Traxxas knows there is an issue so the replacements are stronger. I just wish they would upgrade the idler. 15 dollars each for the Robinson one is a bit steep but its better than tearing the trans apart. Considering how powerful current motors are Traxxas really needs to upgrade all the gears.

Also older RC's while not as impressive looking were built to a much higher quality and were usually more technically advanced. Most current ones are built to a price and are a bit boring.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Using a 60t HR steel 32p spur (just barely fits under the gear cover) and traxxas emax 32p pinions, the traxxas pinions would not last 2 cycles. Using the pinions from my stock erbe, the pinions have NO wear, and neither does the spur. With high quality pinions, they will last with steel on steel gear mesh. The non brushless emaxx pinions are not high quality, and will fail quickly. The 5mm ones that come with the big brushless trucks are high quality.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

When did they switch the vxl gears to pot metal? I have a pot metal thermostat housing from a chevy 305 here and it is much, much softer than a traxxas idler. It is a new in package gear, is grey, and not pot metal...
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Champion
    There are many grades of metal. Not sure of the specific type traxxas uses but the grey colored gears are not hardened steel and more closely match the performance of pot metal gears from Tamiya thus pot metal.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Using a 60t HR steel 32p spur (just barely fits under the gear cover) and traxxas emax 32p pinions, the traxxas pinions would not last 2 cycles. Using the pinions from my stock erbe, the pinions have NO wear, and neither does the spur. With high quality pinions, they will last with steel on steel gear mesh. The non brushless emaxx pinions are not high quality, and will fail quickly. The 5mm ones that come with the big brushless trucks are high quality.
    Also no one discussed E-Maxx pinions in any way.
    Last edited by ReaperGN; 10-09-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

U must have gotten some factory defects as the idlers I have gotten have been fine. I have had diff gear rings break a tooth, must just be Chinese quality control. In defense of you, I had about 7 or 8 bearings fall apart off my rtr's, and the ebay takeoff replacements have held up fine.
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Champion
    I have never had a diff ring break or even look worn. But I have had 5 idlers go out. 3 in my pede and 2 in my Blue Eagle. While that's not a large amount its enough to say that its a weak gear or Traxxas has some serious quality control issues with that particular part. If it wasn't Robinson never would have made one. 3 dollars vs. 15 makes up most peoples minds real quick. So there has to be another selling point.
    Oderint Dum Metuant