RC poster

Question Hydra Ice HV ESC 240A

looking for some help I installed a Hydra Ice HV ESC 240A with a Big Block 1717 brushless motor (1650 Kv) out of my XO1 with Traxxas 8400 6s LiPo with a Prather S230 Stainless Prop and the ESC went up in smoke in 5 min hit 76KPH and that was it.

was this a bad combo or a bad ESC?
    I have a Mamba Monster 2200kv Motor will that be better combo with the Hydra Ice 240A?

I am looking at getting a new Hydra Ice 240A can someone help me with a prop size and motor combo that will work??

Thanks
    Slash44,Summit,ERevo,XO1,GraveDigger,Spartan,Rally

RC Qualifier
    Hard to say.
    I think the motor esc combo was fine. And I would think that you "should" be able to spin that prop, although it is pretty big.

Based solely on the information you have provided I would suggest the prop is likely the component that caused the problem.

Not only would a prop that size pull some hefty amps, it may have created enough resistance to twist up the flex cable and cause it to bind. The 1717 motor would have lots of torque to keep spinning things until they popped.

Also, can you confirm your battery setup. i.e. 2 x 3S in series, 2 x 6S in series, 2 x 6S in parallel, etc etc.

Hog

RC poster
    2x3s in series 22.2VAC.
    I have some new prop's on order 2-3 size smaller.
    I did kill a flex cable on the 1st run it overheated the liner i had a spare and removed the liner on it and it was fine on the 2nd run with lot's of grease. building a new flex shaft .187 and water cooled stuffing tube.
    Slash44,Summit,ERevo,XO1,GraveDigger,Spartan,Rally

RC Qualifier
    The biggest prop I have run is the octura x448 which is 1.9 diameter and a pitch of 2.66. The prather s230 has the same diameter but a pitch of 3.0. That is a lot of pitch for this boat and like Hog says draws a lot of amps.

RC Qualifier
    I think you will be ok with a smaller prop and the .187 flex cable.

There should be no need to water cool the stuffing tube, if everything is properly aligned, greased, and the cable stout enough to take the load, there should be no excess heat created.

Not saying you shouldn't try the mod, just noting it shouldn't be necessary.

Hog