RC Qualifier

My custom battery tray

I bought a used flm chassis and decided to make my own battery tray out of aluminum. Isn't the prettiest thing but it works. Holds my 3s lipos fine. I used foam tape to stick it on because it isn't long enough to put a screw on both ends. And I use Velcro around the whole chassis and battery, so it's not going anywhere. What do y'all think? It looks crooked in the pic but its not

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by josh62685; 10-09-2012 at 11:56 AM.

RC Champion
    Not bad at all! Looks right at home with the chassis and since it's not fastened down with screws, you can play with the placements until you feel like it's just right.

Here's a couple suggestions that you may want to consider.

Your esc and receiver may not be in the most optimized locations. If you like to jump the truck a lot, you may need to move the esc and bring the battery and tray back some and keep the placement of the battery in a near stock location. A battery thats too far forward will make the truck nosedive when jumping.

Also, your esc will catch a lot of dirt and gunk in it sitting there in front of the rear shock tower like that unless you plan to keep it on the street. I relocated my esc to sit on top of my battery pack and it's been good. I run my non waterproof, castle esc on wet roads, thru wet grass and in the rain, and having my esc up there keeps the water away, too.

I'm not knocking your work, nice job on picking up the FLM. but thats just some of the stuff i learned along the way. Keep it up. I'd actually like to make something like that to fit on top of the battery

RC Qualifier
    I only ran it once with the tray and it was also to try out my new 3s lipos. Didn't jump it any. Drove on road and rocks. Handles well. I wanted to move the battery more forward because its hard to take off even on 2s without the front end going straight up. I was going to add weights but now with the battery forward I don't have to. I will try some jumps to see how it acts.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    stay away from the foam double sided tape. The elements tend to make it unsticky. I like parma servo tape rolls the most or, the traxxas servo tape 1" squares hold really well in wet or cold conditions.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    stay away from the foam double sided tape. The elements tend to make it unsticky. I like parma servo tape rolls the most or, the traxxas servo tape 1" squares hold really well in wet or cold conditions.
    Luckily I haven't had any issues with the roll of foam tape. I always use it on my esc's. Its just mainly to hold the tray in place. Once the Velcro is holding the battery down, it's not going anywhere. Would try it again tomorrow but I will be doing some work on the rustler(soldering, gear adjustments, etc.) I was surprised I didn't break the Pede today on 3s.

RC Qualifier
    I got it, my next project... I will make 2 aluminum plates to bolt to whatever holes I can on the chassis and then screw the batt tray to that

RC Qualifier
    Man hat looks awesome! Can't beat the feeling you get building custom parts for your RC. Who Dat!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty don View Post
    Man hat looks awesome! Can't beat the feeling you get building custom parts for your RC. Who Dat!
    When you said whodat I looked to see where you were from. I live in raceland.

RC Qualifier

Started making mounting plates to use instead of foam tape

RC Racer
    Looks great! Nice custom work! Yeah, I tend to stay away from foam tape only...better to also bolt down. IMHO

---BT
    Bit-Older and need to 'learn' more.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! While im added I figured I would add the list of upgrades currently on the truck.
    -rpm arms
    -rpm front bumper and wheelie bar mount
    - traxxas aluminum castor blocks, hubs, and knuckles.
    -strc aluminum hexes on front
    -flm chassis
    - mip xduty cvd's

One of my rear shock shafts are bent so I will probably be in the market for new shocks soon.