RC poster

frying 550 titan motors...ideas?

Me and a buddy bought xl5's yesterday, built a small track, and we have already burnt through 2 motors! we were letting them cool down between runs, but in honesty running them pretty hard while we where hitting the track, i assumed they could hold up to it but no luck, i dont want to upgrade to VXL because it will be too much power for me as I'm actually trying to enjoy driving and getting good, rather than just crashing! lol but i am wondering if they make a replacement motor of a different brand that will hold up better than the titan 550? thanks guys!

RC Racer
    electrify s600 is what others say on here, i dont know because i went to vxl after about 4 titans
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

RC poster
    How long did your titans last? Is the s600 waterproof to your knowledge? Thanks for the help

RC Champion
    If money isnt a problem, I'd just go vxl. Your truck won't all of a sudden become insanely fast, and you won't have to deal with burnt up motors every 2 runs

RC poster
    Money kind of is a problem, i waste all that on my real truck haha

RC Champion
    The s600 motor is going to require some soldering, and a flat spot for the pinion needs to be ground into the motor shaft. Then there's the option of gearing down the Titan with a 16 tooth pinion

RC poster
    Soldering and grinding is no problem really, however if prefer not too, will gearing it down increase the life of it? I wouldnt mind some more bottom end.

I suppose i could go VXL but my friend owns one and its just too fast for me to really control, and ive been told i will have a really hard time keeping the wheels on the ground haha. Given that alllll my weight is in the back.

RC Racer
    traning mode 50% power
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

RC poster
    I was just thinking 50% vxl is probably pretty close to cl5, LOL, thanks alot for your guys' help for the >15$'s i may try an elecify but will eventually make it VXL, wish i knew how fragile they titans were before i bought it! Haha

RC Qualifier
    If you just bought it did you break the motors in? If you don't do that they won't last at all usually not even a few days in my experience. Plus they do need geared down to the 16 tooth. All our trucks are brusless now but before they were with a good break in we would get a year of average 3 runs a week with Titans on 8 cells. Going brushless is the obvious answer but not the cheapest. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC poster
    What is the proper procedure for break in? Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Run it at 1/2 throttle for a full battery pack.Then blow it out with air and clean it with a rc motor cleaner.Make sure to lube both ends of the shaft as well.My grandson and I have had Monstor Jam trucks since April and are still on the original Titans. You need to get an ir temp gauge to check the temp. Keep the motor under 150 degrees.

RC Qualifier
    if u go vxl its alot less hassle and easyer. if you put it on training mode (50%) if will probly be pretty close to xl5 power. U save money in the long run. i had a s-600 for alittle while to i went vxl

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    An easy break in procedure for the titan is to charge the stock battery pack to full, prop the truck up or turn it upside down so the rear wheels are free to spin, oil the bushings of the motor with a light machine oil, turn on remote then truck and turn the throttle trim all the way up so the wheels spin by themselves, then just let it run for 10-15 mins like that. Then you clean out the motor with electric motor cleaning spray, oil the bushings again, let the motor fully cool down, then run it. Clean and oil the motor every few runs, use 16/90 gearing, never let the motor overheat (160F is the max allowable), and the motor should last a good while. The s-600 is a longer lasting motor and a great replacement for the titan.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    hey there a bit of my experience

for the titan motors that have burnt out try opening them up (but make sure there is enought material to put it back together)
    and shine up the com(where the brushes contact) clean away the dust and put back together it should run like new or leave the motor together and try and shine up the com with a stick and sand paper

one reason they dont run or quit is that the dust from the brushes builds up on the com in a layer that motor clean cant remove there for stoping or severly limiting the voltage to the motor

option two is to use a hitachi 14.4v motor lots of torque(still needs to be soildered and pinion has to be removed) and on most surfaces it can be geared to 28/90 and be fine for about every 3000mah that it uses

then what i have now is a hitachi 14.4v can with a titan 12t rotor inside(hitatan ) it pairs up quight nicely and the hitachi can has stornger magnets inside so alitle more torque with the same gearing(lower temps). and do to the bigger brushes it can tack a little more volts to
    18/90 with a full 6000mah lipo peaked at 121f and cooled of to 106f before the end of the run
    it seems like a prety good but takes more work then the s600 motor
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    Reod, nice work on the hybrid brushed motor

RC poster
    Thanks for the help guys, seriously appreciate it! i am going to drop the $30 or so bucks pick up two more titan's, break em in the right way, and hopefully buy me some time while i find some money to convert to VXL!

I believe your best course of action is to break in the new motors, clean with motor spray, lube the bushings, and gear down a tooth or two. That is the way to maximize Titan 12T life.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Reod, nice work on the hybrid brushed motor
    ya it works extremely nice
    i think it was about 10celsious last night and the motor never got above 100f throught out a full 6000mah 2s lipo geared 19/90 on trenchers
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC poster
    Couple easy questions...

Can i use dielectric grease, or is electric motor grease a must use? Where can i buy it?

Can i blow the motor put with an air compressor? Do i just spray/grease in all the areas i can get into on the motor?

RC Qualifier
    Im a little lazy. I never oiled mine but once or twice w fine machine oil. and yeah just use a blow nozzle on an air compressor. I was always told that a couple packs for a break in would seat the brushes better so I did two packs on mine. Baldy has forgot more than I will ever know so I say use his method you should be good.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Enthusiast
    Use machine oil or 3-n -1 oil on both ends of the motor..........use a compressor to blow out the motor before and after you spray it with a good rc cleaner.