RC Competitor

revo 3.3 running hot

ok so my 3.3 is giving me trouble and driving me insane. saturday i went to a track and drove. truck ran fine til the end of the day, then she started running hot. the next day i went to the park with my buddy, and the truck was running hot right off the get go. 290-310. kept trying to richen it up and it just wasnt helping. had the hi speed 6 turns out. the exhaust header broke off, so i had to quit. put a new header on, reset carb, and still had problems. once again, i started making it richer. no matter how far in or out you turn it, the temp stays constant. i scattered the carb and blew it out. clean as a whistle. also cleaned the tank. added new fuel lines. checked everything i could think of. and again, it still ran hot. so what do i do? and the motor is fairly new. about 1 and 1/2 gallons run thru. thanks for any help.

RC Qualifier
    Did you look to see if the piston was still in tact when you replaced the header because at 1.5 gallons I'd expect it to need a rebuild soon.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Champion
    Broken tank?
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Competitor
    tank rebuild kit installed. can blow thru the lines and holds pressure. completely scattered motor, couldnt find any problems. also never heard of anyone rebuilding at 1.5 gallons. ive seen anything from 5-7 gallons from a 3.3

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ahtwl08 View Post
    also never heard of anyone rebuilding at 1.5 gallons. ive seen anything from 5-7 gallons from a 3.3
    An improperly tuned engine can go pretty quick. My first 2.5 didn't make it 2 gallons.
    Rustler-3.3,Revo-Hyper .21,Jato-3.3
    lots of mods

RC Racer
    If you richened the settings as much as you say then I doubt the engine would run to well as it would be flooding an awful lot, it would be to much fuel for a broken in & tuned engine.
    I know if I richen mine only a small amount it gets to much fuel & won't run properly & it has only had a bit over 4 litre's through it & is still in perfect condition. (I think a gallon is a bit over 4 litre's, I'm in Australia so we use metric).
    Are the carb needles working properly, they may have stripped threads on the inside preventing any adjustments to the needles meaning any changes you make won't actually change anything. I had a .21 nitro engine a few yrs back that had this problem from new on the idle screw, it must of been put in to far & made the engine rev flat out when started. It may not be your problem but might be worth checking out, just a thought.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Qualifier
    My first 3.3 ran 8 gallons for me and never replaced anything I just tore it down every once in a while to clean everything really good and I sold it to my friend and now it has about 10 or 11 gallons through it now without any problems or rebuilds and it's still kicking butt

RC Competitor
    problem solved. traded in for a new motor.