Thread: 40 series?

RC Racer

40 series?

been looking at tire and wheel combos and what does a 40 series mean?

Rim size 3.9 inch diameter compared to the traxxas standard 3.8 inch diameter. And no they are not compatible.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Harder on differentials also, sense you are having to rebuild one now.

These 40-series are pretty good for the Summit. My favorite tires so far.
    http://prolineracing.com/tires/trenc...-black-wheels/
    Note that they are listed as 3.8" tires but these original Trenchers will NOT fit on Traxxas-bead-style wheels. The wider, shorter Trencher X tires will.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Ed: that is a valid point!

RC Enthusiast
    These are what I am using on my Summit and like em a lot.

http://prolineracing.com/all-terrain...-black-wheels/

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    Harder on differentials also, sense you are having to rebuild one now.
    How much harder can it be on the diffs? Sincerely asking since I've been checking out 40 series myself. Most 40 series tires I've seen are roughly the same size as the canyons. I could see if you went with aluminum beadlocks or something that increases weight substantially, but don't see how a slightly larger wheel with the same diameter tires would be difficult on the diffs?

Quote Originally Posted by rcmonkey View Post
    How much harder can it be on the diffs? Sincerely asking since I've been checking out 40 series myself. Most 40 series tires I've seen are roughly the same size as the canyons. I could see if you went with aluminum beadlocks or something that increases weight substantially, but don't see how a slightly larger wheel with the same diameter tires would be difficult on the diffs?
    I think if you weren't trying to be a speed demon with the summit, then these should hold up OK. I used these on my eRevo for a while and did nothing but destroy drive shafts on 6s; my mate used them on his eMaxx with higher gearing on 6s with absolutely no issues at all. His drive shafts did show signs of wear after 2 months of use.

They are a fairly heavy tyre thou...but at low speeds; in my opinion should be OK.
    Rock n Rolla !

40 series are not necessarily harder on the drive train it is just originally the erevo revo and maxx had smaller tires and rims. Then suddenly the 40 series wheels came along with naturally larger diameter tires ( and heavier) along with a MUCH wider rim and the added weight, diameter and width added up to broken drive train parts. Later the summit came out with similiarly sized 7 inch tires, but with reduced gearing to accommodate . So the 40 series are not as imposing as they once were. But most are still wider and heavier than the stock summit tire/ rim combo.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    I don't think you'll have any problems running 40 series on a stock summit. I am running the stock geode/canyon combo but with 9.5oz of weight on the fronts with no issue.

IMO things that are hard on diffs is brushless, larger tire diameter, and aluminum rims. You can do it but you just need to be mindful that you are working your entire driveline harder than it was designed for. Both in torque applied and in torque required to get things moving.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

The good thing about 40 series rims is that the width gives you extra surface to grip rocks with. But the extra width/ traction gives the steering servo heck at slow speeds, and the width does not help with small paths or specific tire placement.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE