RC Qualifier

Tip: extending antenna = double the range WOW + story

Mmmky for teh record I live in a city with lots of interference so at my local park I wasn't happy with the range of my TQ2.4 I was down to about 100 ft on flat ground and the range was intermitten which was frustrating. I tried different batteries with no success and even considered getting TQi. As a last resort I swapped our shortie antenna tube with one that was 30mm longer (little over an inch) and WOW what a difference, I manuvered my Summit around trees and up and down slopes at least 200 ft. Passers by were puzzled at who was at the controls or maybe it was driving itself . Now I can drive my Summit with confidence.

To me it's a no brainer so why Traxxas didn't use a slightly longer tube is beyond me.

Sidenote story: I really love my Summit... my local park has sloppy grounds, trees, basketball courts, volley ball courts, picnic areas, concrete walking paths, baseball diamonds, curbs, kids playground and my Summit roamed thru it like a prowler I was over 200 ft away in some spots and all this happened at dusk so the LEDs were kicking butt, Traxxas did a great job on this truck. BTW I was brushless so it blazed like a cheetah chasing prey

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Glad you're finally getting some real quality time with your Summit
    I'll keep this in mind if I begin experiencing range issues in certain locations
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    with 2.4ghz system you dont really need that much long antenna as long as the wire tip is not bend, fold or neck it should be working fine without interferance. i would look for any sign of neck or cut on the antenna wire or open up the TX and see if the other end of the antenna is not unplug. i have my antenna even shorter than the stock antenna tube.

can you see it?
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Qualifier
    Mayberry, thanks... it's now one of my favorite things to do, roam around like a stray dog looking for trouble it's nice cuz the Summit is the right size for far away driving so I can see it and the LEDs help point the direction of travel, the ground clearance can go over anything, as long as I don't flip over it's a blast.

humay..., not sure why I was having trouble as I also drive up in the cliffs and the range was under 100 ft but I'm happy so far, I don't mind the looks of a long antenna I think it's kinda cool as long as it doesn't stick out the body. Otherwise the tip was not folded or cut. Thanks for the tip
    Last edited by maxi single; 10-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.

RC Champion
    Great idea. Simple and effective. Did the same with my spektrum ( they get truly horrible range when not set up good)
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE