RC Competitor

how to tell when an engine has had enough

I just bought my second jato with a 2.5 in it. They are both well used but in really excellent shape. One is a 2.5R the other is a plain 2.5, what is the difference between the 2???? Also the plain 2.5 doesn't idle after running for a few minutes and dies, I figured its losing compression when it warms up but not sure. How can you tell when a motor is worn out, and is it hard to replace the piston and sleeve?

RC Competitor
    Ok no response??? Well.how about this, I tore the carb apart on the 2.5, found the larger end plug was stripped out and leaking fuel, also I was leaking fuel from the base of the hsn. This motor has been really hard to tune, im sure its because of the issues I have found, right???? This motor doesn't SCREAM like my 2.5R does and isn't nearly as fast. Should there be a major difference between the 2 or will it run as strong as the 2.5R when I replace the carb??

The only differnce between the 2.5R and the normal 2.5 is the cooling head. And yes, that air leak was most likely the cause of your problem.
    Should there be a major difference between the 2 or will it run as strong as the 2.5R when I replace the carb??
    No, the should be about the same, if you tune them the same.
    Also the plain 2.5 doesn't idle after running for a few minutes and dies, I figured its losing compression when it warms up but not sure.
    Could be, but I'd replace the carb to fix the air leak first. It would suck to replace the engine just to find out it was a simple air leak. Hope this helps!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Thanks wolf, thatswhat I was looking for

Your welcome!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde