RC Qualifier

Building a Slash.

So My 4x4 isn't that great in sand so i'm building a 2wd.

So i'm going with this roller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270996329759...84.m1438.l2649

and these upgrades.

Traxxas 3743X Aluminum Steering Bellcranks Red
    Traxxas 3139X Aluminum Turnbuckle Red
    Traxxas 3741X Aluminum Camber Link Turnbuckles Red
    RPM Slash 2WD Rear Suspension A-Arms Black
    RPM 80242 Front Suspension A-Arms 1/10 Slash 2WD Black
    Traxxas 3767X Aluminum Shock Caps Red
    Traxxas 3636X Aluminum Steering Blocks Red
    Traxxas 3632X Aluminum Caster Blocks Red
    Traxxas 3652X Aluminum Stub Axle Carriers Red
    RPM 80522 Transmission Gear Cover Black

So as far as i know is all i need is a servo, body, and radio correct? are the stock shacks decent at all? with aluminum caps?

I have a Velinon 3500 and a dead esc, I was looking at a cheap 60A esc to get the truck going or will that be too small?

[IMG]http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachments/malaysian-forsale-trade/976015d1349027644-esc-*********-60a-version-2-p1080891.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Maxx_Adam; 10-06-2012 at 09:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    A 60 amp might run it. What price rang you looking at? Take a look at the brushless hobbies 80a.

RC Qualifier
    I didn't want to spend too much, everything is ordered now so i'm in need of some power!!

What size shaft is on the stock velinon? is it 3.?? mm my 4x4 has a 5mm so i'll need a new pinion.

To fix my old stock combo from my 4x4 (which has castle sct max pro) is going to cost 50$ for dead esc and $35 for bent shaft and $15 shipping each way. I'm half sketchy to get a cheap combo at least i know castle is good, and I have 2 set ups already, I like how you can connect to lap top for easy programming.

Is this combo worth the jump over the vel?
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Castle-Creati...item46082ec97c

The castle is $140. not sensored, no esc fav

This set up is about $100

Last edited by Maxx_Adam; 10-06-2012 at 11:18 PM.

RC Champion
    Castle is so much better than the velineon, I hear that setup has a lot of torque and overall good power.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Torque is good, i'll be running sand paddles on my sand track, This is a truck for the wife, but i'm going to use it time to time at the track, the 4x4 SUCKS in sand! if i could i'd convert my 4x4 to a 2wd its only sand up here.

My max pro is a lot faster than stock but this sct i have no idea? i think its just a smaller esc but same motor?

Edit the sct is .125" or 3.175mm my 4x4 has the max pro with 5mm shaft.
    Last edited by Maxx_Adam; 10-06-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: motor specs

RC Enthusiast
    i got a castle sidewinder sv2 with 4-pole motor it great and at stormierhobby.com there lik 120 and ebay is about the same or you can get the duratrax element maked by castle for duratrax alot of people i know use them and love it in there 2wd sc

RC Enthusiast
    http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...CSE010-0090-00 here is the link castle sidewinder sv2 4-pole 3800kv 118.95 plus shipping i think like 5-7 bucks

RC Qualifier
    I think I will go with the sv2 I don't run over 2s and the 2wd should be easier to turn over.

I'm kind of bummed that I never got the axial exo what I spent in the slash I could of had one, I'm sure the slash will rip the sand just as good

You can take the motor fan that comes with the Castle SCT system and put it on the ESC instead of the motor it fits it perfectly. In the slash you won't need it on the motor anyways. My motor never gets over 130F and I have it geared close to stock running in short grass. As far as it being a non sensored system it's pretty smooth when you have a good lipo hooked up to it. I run SPC packs and it's never cogged once.

RC Competitor
    Why is the 4X4 not good in the sand? I would think it would be better...with appropriate tires like a 2WD?

RC Qualifier
    The 4x4 is amazing in sand for about 10 minutes then your spur and pinion are wore smooth. I should of got an axial exo for sand, the slash 4x4 is horrible the rear end just fills with dirt.

RC Champion
    I have a 2wd Slash and my son-inlaw has a 4wd. His is always having gear issues and I have had almost none....Can't say why for sure but my 2wd Slash performs very well in da sand dunes at Glamis.

I run a Castle SV-2 with the 4 pole 5700 kv on 2s...In two years in the sand I have had a motor replaced by Castle due to a bearing failier....
    Last edited by orca44; 10-07-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Did you have to make any modifications to run in sand besides tires?I bet glamis is a blast

RC poster
    I just bought one of those rollers Lol

RC Champion
    The only changes I did was to put some Tamyia Frog cv boot covers on the Traxxas slip axles to keep the fine sand out of them and outer wears over the shock springs as a precaution.

Tamyia Boot (used)

Boot cut in half/ one for each side of the Slash

Boot mounted on slip axle

I have since gone to the Traxxas 4x4 rear slip axles.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Have you ran stock tires on the front? I have 4 paddles from my 4x4 which will not need them anymore. just wondering if the front 2wd sand tires are worth the upgrade.

RC Champion
    I never have run the stock tires in the sand dunes, I have always used the Mohawks with the rib for better turning. As far as 4x4's I have see guys run four paddles and some just 2 in the rear and 2 mohawks up front, the latter which I feel is better because the 4 paddles on the slash sucks up alot of power increaseing temps and shorter run times, not real bad but I get about 5 more mitutes of run time than my son-in-law.

The sand at Glamis is so soft and smooth where we ride that you can get a 2wd Slash stuck.... So just like my 1x1 full size desert ride, speed is our friend.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    This set up is about $100

Nice That's sensored which is always nice.

As far as the 60A ********* ESC I use the same ESC but with a different brand name on it, however, I use it in a lightweight Bandit.

Jang has used it in short course trucks though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjRcg6SlNwU

I'm suprised the 4x4 gearcase isn't better protected, but then sand will get everywhere.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Just ordered the castle SCT sidewinder, chevy flo tek body and slicer fronts with sling shot rears. I have the stockers for pavement or dirt.

I'm going to hope the rear axles hold up ok, they only need to last a month and it will be winter here, then snowmobile and snowboards come out. and RC, mtn/dirt bikes go away. I need an RC snowmobile!! Maybe I will fix the stock velinion system and get a ski for the front, I've seen a guy with the hpi baja on paddles and skis and it was a blast, o and studded tires on a slash 4x4 on a skating rink is awesome as well!!!! don't really need much water proofing on ice.

RC Champion
    The rear axles should hold up just fine. Mine had alot of hours on them before I needed to change the differential output yokes to the heavy duty (6828X). Then when they wore out I stepped up to the 4x4 rear slip axles which required differential yokes and metal U joints from a 4x4.

I would be all over that snow like white on rice...... paddles.... mohawks and alot of batteries.......can you say "got snow" and there ya go!!!!!

I think I saw somewere that they sell a cat trax setup for a 10th scale truck... but I think it was very pricey!!!!!

What size Castle SCT motor did you order?

In my pic #3 above you can see I even tried the metal dirrerential output yokes.
    Last edited by orca44; 10-08-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added content
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Integy makes tracks for the bigger trucks.

I got the 3800kv

This whole build is under $400 and I bought an extra battery and a few spare parts,

RC Champion
    I have the Castle SV-2 3800 in one of my Bandits and it is very quick.... The bandit is sooo light weight.

Once your stock tires wear out, you will have alot more control and traction with a good set of pavment or dirt tires. The rubber on the stock tires is on the hard side...
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    awesome, can't wait to get it ripping I have med0um pro line calibers but mostly this 2wd will be my sand truck

have you ran it yet?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Not yet, Just got the parts i'm just waiting to get the chassis dyed in red.

RC Qualifier
    Got some work done, just waiting on a
    few STRC parts. and i'm going to rit dye some split six wheels that i'm mounting sand tires on.

Left to come STRC shock towers, the stock ones are garbage, by far the first thing you should change, the rear flexes so much. and STRC steel shafts and shock bodies.

Pile of parts

Nice work with the Slash. I own 3 of them and love each one. I usually have at least 2 of them up and running at any time.

What are you going to put in the differential for traction? You could go with something pretty thick if its a dedicated sand runner.

RC Qualifier
    I got 500K, theres 100K in my Sand Emaxx and its not near thick enough, My Tmaxx has diff spools and its just rips in the sand.

I hope the STRC shock bodies don't leak but I got a good price on them

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    I got 500K, theres 100K in my Sand Emaxx and its not near thick enough, My Tmaxx has diff spools and its just rips in the sand.

I hope the STRC shock bodies don't leak but I got a good price on them
    500k should be nice and thick and work well. Another option would be bad horsie diff grease which I use in a couple of my trucks.

A couple guys on the forum use the STRC shock bodies and caps and I think they work pretty well but haven't used them.

RC Qualifier
    I'm 1/2 thinking off selling my slash 4x4 and building an Eslayer I looked on Ebay and to build one from scratch it was about $275 for a roller then i'd use the MMP out of my 4x4, Building up from scratch is a lot more fun!! I'm offically addicted, So far i've built a T-maxx and this slash.

RC Qualifier
    Just added a few more parts.

Hope they work out! and should match my STRC LCG 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Next Set of upgrades., I also have lots of Rit Dye for my other trucks

Hopefully the LCG comes in soon.