Thread: smoking esc

RC poster

smoking esc

I hope this is not common problem! after having some fun with my 3 month old e-maxx with castle motor and esc running on a 4s 4.5 i stopped for a while only to hear someone shout, hay boy ya smoking, then flames. I quicky pulled the batteries out but the esc is cooked, the gearing etc is good i was only doing some jumps to no load on anything. Any ideas? i have a picture but being new can not post.
    Steve

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    There are no posting restrictions for new members.

First, the picture needs to be uploaded to a web host; like photobucket, flicker, or even a locked folder on facebook. Then after it is uploaded; you view the picture online, right click, and select "copy image location". At this point you come back to the forum and select the third icon from the right; the one that says "image" when you hover over it, and paste your image location into the box in the popup, then click "ok". Then the picture will be shown like this:

Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster

umm! will try again
    Last edited by stevegibbs; 10-06-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: something wrong here

4s that is 2/2s?? is that a 4500 mAh, more batt info, what C rating

you need to fill out the repair forms & send it in, I would call them first too
    http://www.castlecreations.com/support.html
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Smoking CC ESCs are getting all too common. From what I can see its the caps that blow. I assume this is the reason CC released a cap bank to be soldered in. There are quite a few people that have vowed never to use CC Esc again as they dont last any longer than a 150A esc from the place that I am still not sure if we are allowed to mention. and of course its half the price. Dont get me wrong, CC have an excellent customer support team but here in the UK it takes a few months to get your parts back. You can get a 120a from other sellers for 45 delivered to the uk within 10 days. That means you can get 3 and still have a little change in comparison to CC in the UK.
    " TRX3922a doesnt snap " IT SHATTERS !!!

Any moisture will kill your ESC too...I plasti dipped mine as I have already smoked 1 ESC from running in wet grass. Enjoying a good bashing session and when I stopped to check temps the ESC started smoking .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    I have blown a WP SC8 ESC. First the magic smoke, very impressive display, then the flames. Very nice show. But what was really impressive after the big smoke and fire show, my emaxx chassis and everything else was totally fine. Only the ESC was melted toast.

Quote Originally Posted by msquad View Post
    I have blown a WP SC8 ESC. First the magic smoke, very impressive display, then the flames. Very nice show. But what was really impressive after the big smoke and fire show, my emaxx chassis and everything else was totally fine. Only the ESC was melted toast.
    You are one of the lucky ones mate...
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    Reading on this and other sites it would seem that the esc does not like any mosture at all, i should have read the BIG warning on the instruction sheet i guess. But this is England its alway wet. So good motor not so good esc. Any info on a esc that will handle the 2200kv on 6c (2x3) that is water prove. Not a lot of good if i can only play on dry days.
    Steve
    Last edited by stevegibbs; 10-21-2012 at 04:37 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    There are ESC's on HobbyPartz.com that fit your needs.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.