RC poster

Unhappy New to the Forum, and to RC. Problems right out of the box...

I bought my first RC car ever, figured why not start with the best, so i bought the e-revo brushless. It worked beautifully for about 5 minutes. then the trouble started. The nice tones i used to hear when i turned it on turned into a louder almost grind sound. the steering works but when i try to move forward or back everything trembles and shakes, even the steering, the esc resets and all leds flash and the Rx led flashes red then green. when i return to neutral it stops and i get the same sound as if i just turned it on. i followed the tut on checking the servos and found the same thing happens when i connect the speed to the steering... i turn the wheel and the esc led lights green for a split second then acts the same as previously described. does this mean it is not the Rx or esc and might be a motor problem? i also have to reset my TQi Tx in order to get a green light on the Rx after testing a bit. anyone have any help for me? lol my car is only a few days old and i am missing out on potentially the last of the nice driving days! thanks for reading

RC Qualifier
    Check battery and motor connections. Was your mesh proper? It's hard to explain things and diagnose I know with out being there. Did the spur strip out?

Check the connections first. If the motor is just bouncing back and forth it sounds like a motor connection, the esc resetting sounds like a power issue.

yep one thing at a time, bit over load..

take the gear cover off is the spur gear stripped
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4920527

edit after a reread, looking like the ESC is the prob, are you using the NiMH?? batts
    edit, edit I am thinkging it might be hitting the LVC, maybe...
    Last edited by 87 GN; 10-06-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    i am using all stock parts, including the NiMH batteries. how do i know if it is hitting the LVC? It shouldnt, as the batteries are new and were fully charged before i drove. i went over all the connections multiple times and all seem good, as does the spur gear. going to call support tomorrow

edit. I took the motor off completely. it behaves the same way even without the motor (less the shaking obviously) i think my ESC is DOA. i assume there is some kind of warranty, considering i bought it 5 days ago and got 5 minutes out of it... thats a lot of $$$/ minute!! lol
    also, when i leave the car on and touch nothing, about every 10 seconds the ESC and Rx both flash red for a split second, makes a click sound and then goes green again for another 10 seconds or so, this repeats the entire time the car is on. i am sure this cant be normal behavior.
    Last edited by platinumzombie; 10-07-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Your ESC may be faulty...it happens. I would take it back to where I bought it from; it may be a warranty issue. It sounds like something is wrong; I don't know, that's my opinion. For the price you pay I would take it back.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 10-07-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    have you tried rebinding the ESC to Remote? its worth a shot!!! if still nothing happens call traxxas support.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |_________________ |

double post
    Rock n Rolla !

All good sug's, but for the ESC you will have to call Castle, they are good to talk to.
    one year warrenty, really need to get a good set of Lipos, the MMM ESC is not ment to run with NiMH. don't give up yet this truck really is worth any prob's that pop up...

http://www.castlecreations.com/support.html

Speed Control Programming Instructions
    The Castle Creations Mamba Max speed control should not need
    reprogramming with normal use. However, if you install a different
    radio system in your model, or change the transmitter’s throttle-neutral
    setting from 50/50 to 70/30, you will need to reprogram the speed
    control. Follow these instructions to reprogram the speed control:
    1. Install the batteries of your choice in the battery compartments and
    plug the batteries into the speed control.
    2. Switch on your transmitter.
    3. Hold full throttle while you switch on the Mamba Monster controller.
    After a few seconds, you will hear multiple tones and the
    RED LED will light.
    4. Hold full brake. After a few seconds, you will hear multiple tones
    and the YELLOW LED will light.
    5. Release the trigger to the neutral position. After a few seconds,
    you will hear multiple tones and ALL THE LEDs will light.
    Last edited by 87 GN; 10-07-2012 at 05:41 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Speed Control Programming Instructions
    The Castle Creations Mamba Max speed control should not need
    reprogramming with normal use. However, if you install a different
    radio system in your model, or change the transmitter’s throttle-neutral
    setting from 50/50 to 70/30, you will need to reprogram the speed
    control. Follow these instructions to reprogram the speed control:
    1. Install the batteries of your choice in the battery compartments and
    plug the batteries into the speed control.
    2. Switch on your transmitter.
    3. Hold full throttle while you switch on the Mamba Monster controller.
    After a few seconds, you will hear multiple tones and the
    RED LED will light.
    4. Hold full brake. After a few seconds, you will hear multiple tones
    and the YELLOW LED will light.
    5. Release the trigger to the neutral position. After a few seconds,
    you will hear multiple tones and ALL THE LEDs will light.
    when i try this i get no results. at step 3 i never get the red led, i get all of them flashing and the Rx flashes green/red along with a clicking noise. if i move on and push reverse i get a red led for a second, then all flash with clicking again, then same for neutral position... then everything goes still the same as it was described earlier.

holding full throttle until it flashes red, & it never goes to red, until it does it will not program..
    Rx & Radio are bound, should be the steering works.... talking to myself...lol

make sure you have the wheels off, or the motor unmeshed from the trans/spur, we don't want a run away...
    The Rx is green??
    Try binding the Radio & Rx, & then try setting the throttle, break, neutral again.....

RC Competitor
    Don't know if you tried this yet but I had the same problem on mine. I noticed the problem was a bad steering servo. I disconnected only the steering servo from the receiver and my ESC worked fine again.

Quote Originally Posted by WMendo21 View Post
    Don't know if you tried this yet but I had the same problem on mine. I noticed the problem was a bad steering servo. I disconnected only the steering servo from the receiver and my ESC worked fine again.
    That's a good suggestion...my mate recently had a similar issue, his truck would accelerate at random without touching the throttle; the culprit was a bad servo. It was under warranty so he got a direct replacement for it.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    i have tried both steering servos independently and they both check out. the throttle never works no matter what. i have tried binding the Rx and Tx and thats ok... sometimes when i turn on the car i get a green led on the Tx and red on the Rx. the only way to get them bound again is to reset the Tx (hold menu and set then turn on Tx, release buttons and press set) then they both light up green again... its quite frustrating. I am betting its the esc tho, so phone calls will be made tomorrow!!

Good luck mate...I hope it all works out for you and the matter gets resolved quickly. It is a fantastic truck; I get lots of joy out of mine .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    The LVC is set to auto on the esc. youneed to make sure your batteries are fully charged and look at the drivers ed manual from castle and turn it off (LVC) for the nimh batteries. I ran into the same issue. If you switch to lipos be sure to turn the LVC back on. The manual is easy to follow just count beeps and answer no (brake is no) to anything you don't want to change.

Quote Originally Posted by ssrevo View Post
    The LVC is set to auto on the esc. youneed to make sure your batteries are fully charged and look at the drivers ed manual from castle and turn it off (LVC) for the nimh batteries. I ran into the same issue. If you switch to lipos be sure to turn the LVC back on. The manual is easy to follow just count beeps and answer no (brake is no) to anything you don't want to change.
    do you have the Castle Link??

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE

RC poster
    ok, well just a quick update... got the ESC replaced by the fantastic customer service at Castle. ripped around on the nimh batteries for a few, then...
    I went on holidays and decided to get lipo batteries and charger for the car. upon returning I charged up the lipo cells and hit the road for a test drive. it was spectacular! after about 15 minutes I turned it off. the next day I started it up again and everything seemed ok. after about 15 seconds the car began to lurch and bounce again when throttle was applied (similar to the original problems), except this time i assume because of the higher output of the lipos the ESC burst into flames. the red lead de-soldered from the esc which I think saved the batteries from overheating and exploding, but unfortunately the esc is now melted. I checked the batteries and they are still reading balanced and are in perfect condition. I am thinking there is something else wrong with my setup... (motor?) I have only driven the car for a total of maybe 90 minutes since I bought it and I am becoming quite frustrated. I love the car and want to be able to use it regularly, but I am having a hard time justifying the cost of it in proportion to the reliability. so far it is disappointing. I have made no alterations to it from its original state when I bought it (aside from upgrading to lipo batteries).
    Am i just unlucky??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Probably built on a friday. That's too bad

RC Racer
    I sent you a Private Message PlatinumZombie.

Did you unplug the Batts......... when you put it away, after the first run.........??

I have read of a dead ESC from leaving the batts pluged in. The on/off switch will turn off the truck but will not stop power from going to the ESC..............
    Last edited by 87 GN; 12-11-2012 at 10:11 PM.

RC poster
    yes, i always unplug my batteries with no exception. i got a replacement motor and esc from castle, it arrived today. i decided to proceed with caution and put in the nimh batteries and not the lipos. i drove it around a bit just fine, but when i went to reverse the car would bounce and lurch again. then the esc reset and it did the startup beeps. i turned it iff and then on again, it went ok until reverse, then forward it would bounce and then reset again with the startup beeps. i turned it off, pulled the batteries and came here for advice. why will my car not work??? i am getting to the point where i think i will just sell it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Do you have a castle link? Check your settings

RC Qualifier
    Wonder if its from firmware problems, I have had my MMM for almost 5 years run on both 4s and 6s, never had a problem running version 1.24 firmware. I know after I updated a sidewinder not too long ago it had bad cogging and would lurk and acted funny. I changed back to version 1.24 and the problem went away. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Castle has a new firmware came out yesterday

RC Champion
    I only had the described problem once. Hit the throttle and the motor bounces around. Connected with Castle link and changed the motor type and all was good. Been awhile since I messed with castle link so I dont recall what the excat motor types available are but the setting isnt what you would think it would be.

RC poster
    this is ridiculous.

RC Racer
    PM sent to you Platinum

Might look a the steering servo(s). I'm sure they are binding & you might have burned one out...

vid link bottom of post....
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5365704

RC poster
    i followed that video the first week i had the truck. both servos are functioning. I am shipping it to traxxas for analysis....
    i hope this gets resolved.

RC poster
    still waiting. dont even know if they received the truck yet. this whole experience is BAD.

RC poster
    Any update on your issue?

I am looking at buying one of these.