Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

My New Proline Slipstream Body and Dirt Hawgs - MMP and NEU110/1Y

I finally broke down and got some Dirt Hawgs and I'm really liking them so far. I did a quick rattle can fade job on the Slipstream body, I think it came out ok, what do you think?

***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

Looks good,,,are you going to cut out the vents in the body? I have seen as much as a 10 drop in motor temps from the stock body to the Slipstream with the vents opened up.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Looking Good Airmaxx!
    Liking the fade paint job you did
    I picked those tires up a while back also

great looking truck, i liek the wheels and the tires too

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Dude that's some good work for a quick rattle can paint job!!! My little boy is going to be so excited to see those Dirt Hawgs on his MERV. He was already excited to see them in their packages.

BTW Excellent work there and it looks great!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Thanks for the positive comments, I do these fade jobs quite a bit so it's become very easy for me to do them. I don't use any tape or anything, just angle the can and start spraying. I do plan on cutting out the vents somewhat, I'll probably make a couple small holes with a body reamer rather than cut the whole vent out.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Very nice job...I see that you came to the same solution for cables as I did (through the rear body mount)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you change the gearing with the taller tires?
    What kind of mmp settings are you using?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Did you change the gearing with the taller tires?
    What kind of mmp settings are you using?
    I didn't change the gearing since it was running so cool to begin with, it's now only getting to 115 degrees on the ESC and 108 degrees on the motor. I have the Start Power set to Low, Brake set to 30% and Reverse Power set to 60%. Everything else is maxed out which is how I like it, I don't use any punch control or anything, that's all controlled by my throttle finger.

RC Qualifier
    Those wheels are 2.2 or 2.8?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mtc777 View Post
    Very nice job...I see that you came to the same solution for cables as I did (through the rear body mount)
    Thanks, I don't like a bunch of wires just bouncing around so I made a short parallel connector and attached it to the rear post.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    Those wheels are 2.2 or 2.8?
    They're the 2.2" - 1/16 Dirt Hawgs with Desperado Wheels, I personally think the 2.8" setup looks too big.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 10-06-2012 at 11:29 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Cool ride..like it a lot. Do yo have a build thread of a list of the parts you have on it, shocks, knuckles, etc..
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 10-06-2012 at 11:33 AM.

RC Qualifier
    2.8 is too big on the 1/16 platform IMO
    I bought the ones mounted on desperados, so far so good
    seeing you n 50 running the neu motors got me in buying one also
    Just received it yesterday...love the idea on how you guys don't have temp issues n the fact it's a small block was just perfect on these 1/16th scale
    Just gotta get some 4mm bullets n find the time to install it all

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    2.8 is too big on the 1/16 platform IMO
    I bought the ones mounted on desperados, so far so good
    seeing you n 50 running the neu motors got me in buying one also
    Just received it yesterday...love the idea on how you guys don't have temp issues n the fact it's a small block was just perfect on these 1/16th scale
    Just gotta get some 4mm bullets n find the time to install it all
    I think the NEU is a perfect motor for the MERV, you get big block power without the weight and higher center of gravity. Once you get it installed you'll love it. I ran all summer geared pretty high and even on 90 degree days running in the grass my temps were only 130 degrees on the motor and ESC.

Very nice car. Well done.
    I have been thinking about a paint job like that, but probably will just keep thinking and never do it
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    Cool ride..like it a lot. Do yo have a build thread of a list of the parts you have on it, shocks, knuckles, etc..
    Sorry I missed your post. RPM arms all around Integy knuckles in the front (which have been holding up great, surprisingly) RPM knuckles in the back (until they fail, I have another set of Integy knuckles waiting), GPM shocks with 60 wt. oil, front and rear black aluminum chassis braces, RPM bumpers, Blue Bird 390 servo, Fly Sky FS-GT3B transmitter and receiver, MMP esc and Castle NEU 1110/1Y motor.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet build. You have my respect.
    BB MERV/550 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Enthusiast
    Nice paint job dude! Yeah I got a set of dirt hawgs and they are great!

RC Racer
    i really like the way you ran your wiring, its clean

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmerv76 View Post
    Sweet build. You have my respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remz3 View Post
    Nice paint job dude! Yeah I got a set of dirt hawgs and they are great!
    Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ptsdisntfun View Post
    i really like the way you ran your wiring, its clean
    Thanks, I don't like the wires just strung all over and I like to keep them somewhat secure. I use the small One Wrap style Velcro straps to keep the wires tied down, I just cut them to the right length and make a small hole for the screw to go through. I'm going to switch back to black ones because the blue sticks out too much for me.

RC Qualifier
    I like it!! What are you going to build next? I reccomend the Traxxas Aluminum pushrods and Traxxas Aluminum Turnbuckles. They make it respond better, and feel less sloppy.
    U |_ 7 1 |\/| 4 7 3 7 R 4 >< >< 4 !

RC Qualifier
    One thing.... why change to an aftermarket body? The mamba max pro you removed the fan, only? It sits pretty good. Without the fan have you done anything more for it to sit close to motor like the stock esc?

Nice spot and nice install. removed the tx cover, why? can explain?

great motor you got there! No more heat issues even on summer days runing on grass with 31t pinion 45 spur, right?

One last, what gear do you use and what lipos? 2s 3s or 4s?

RC Qualifier
    Most def a sick setup! Ima have to try out some flip flop fades on my next paint job.. Best wiring job yet IMO!!!
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

RC Racer
    how did you do the paralel thru the back. it looks really good

RC Qualifier
    Basically, IT'S AWESOME DUDE!!!

RC Champion
    Sorry for the long post, I just want to be sure I answer everyone's questions.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    I like it!! What are you going to build next? I reccomend the Traxxas Aluminum pushrods and Traxxas Aluminum Turnbuckles. They make it respond better, and feel less sloppy.
    I'm not sure what I'll change next, I'm definitely sticking with the stock drive shafts and probably will stick with the stock push rods and turnbuckles since they really flex a lot during a severe impact which helps save everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post
    One thing.... why change to an aftermarket body? The mamba max pro you removed the fan, only? It sits pretty good. Without the fan have you done anything more for it to sit close to motor like the stock esc?

great motor you got there! No more heat issues even on summer days runing on grass with 31t pinion 45 spur, right?

The stock body is OK but mine is pretty much destroyed now, most of the aftermarket bodies tend to be thicker and I really like the looks of the Slipstream. I took the case apart and removed the fan and the fan housing from the ESC, they tend to die after a while and when they are not running they are just holding in heat. I removed the Rx cover and modified the chassis so that the ESC would sit in closer to the motor. I have the Rx mounted on a piece of lexan that slides into the stock ESC mount so that I can easily remove it to remove the motor. You can put the ESC on the other side but it sticks out quite a bit more. I run strictly 3S with gearing from 21/50 to 35/45 depending.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySSG View Post
    Most def a sick setup! Ima have to try out some flip flop fades on my next paint job.. Best wiring job yet IMO!!!
    Thanks a lot.

how did you do the paralel thru the back. it looks really good
    I just made a small parallel connector, bent it just right and zip-tied it under the body posts.

Quote Originally Posted by hammertron2000 View Post
    Basically, IT'S AWESOME DUDE!!!
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

I ended up having to make a couple of black tiny Velco wraps for the wires since I could find any small ones at the store.

RC Qualifier

Sweetness. How do the Dirt Hawgs work on all terrain? Thinking of gettin those. Cool build, and looks like it works good. does the 1/16 Neu overheat?
    U |_ 7 1 |\/| 4 7 3 7 R 4 >< >< 4 !

RC Qualifier
    I did that with my trx connector but I pushed the tabs out on the esc end and pushed the wires through the brace. Just another option. One question I have is, is it ok to shorten the battery wires?
    BB MERV/550 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    Sweetness. How do the Dirt Hawgs work on all terrain? Thinking of gettin those. Cool build, and looks like it works good. does the 1/16 Neu overheat?
    I really like the Dirt Hawgs a lot but I find that the stock tires offer better all around performance, especially on damp grass and leaves. I ran the Neu all summer and the warmest it got on a 93 degree day geared 35/45 was 130 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmerv76 View Post
    I did that with my trx connector but I pushed the tabs out on the esc end and pushed the wires through the brace. Just another option. One question I have is, is it ok to shorten the battery wires?
    Yes you can shorten the battery wires, I shortened mine about 1/2", I still need to take about 3/4" off of the ESC wires.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post

Here's a pic of the ESC mounted in the stock Rx position. The second pic shows the ESC mounted on it's side where the stock ESC sits. I didn't like how it stuck up so high which risked damaging it in a bad crash.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome setup man!
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Qualifier
    allright i understand that you puted the esc on the rx side! so that way it can be puted sited and the the stock bodies can fit!
    that's a good thing.

and the Neu never gets hot, just warm on 35/45 gearing!

What can we be want more!

thanks for sharing!

RC Racer
    Awesome build my friend. I love you have keep all your wires sucure and organized!!

where can you get the gpm shocks that you have?
    and where did you get the velcro strap things youre using?

RC Racer
    thanks airmaxx. your truck is really nice. i hope some day i can get to were you are and were alot of the other are here. and the pics with the diferences between sv2 locations will me in the future.

RC Racer
    what kind of rx/tx are you using. it looks like a flysky

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nkracl View Post
    Awesome build my friend. I love you have keep all your wires sucure and organized!!

where can you get the gpm shocks that you have?
    and where did you get the velcro strap things youre using?
    The shocks are available HERE, they also have them in a few different colors.

I bought the blue velcro wraps from Walmart but the don't make the small ones in black and they are the real fuzzy, thick straps so I did not like them. I ended up buying some thinner, longer black ones and cut them down to the size and length I needed with an x-acto knife.

thanks airmaxx. your truck is really nice. i hope some day i can get to were you are and were alot of the other are here. and the pics with the diferences between sv2 locations will me in the future.
    what kind of rx/tx are you using. it looks like a flysky
    I really like the ESC on the opposite side of the truck since it sits lower which leaves it less likely to get damaged. It is the FlySky FS-GT3B transmitter and receiver.

RC poster

Neu 1110/1y

Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    Sorry I missed your post. RPM arms all around Integy knuckles in the front (which have been holding up great, surprisingly) RPM knuckles in the back (until they fail, I have another set of Integy knuckles waiting), GPM shocks with 60 wt. oil, front and rear black aluminum chassis braces, RPM bumpers, Blue Bird 390 servo, Fly Sky FS-GT3B transmitter and receiver, MMP esc and Castle NEU 1110/1Y motor.
    airmaxx23
    I wanted to get a NEU motor for my MERV, but when I went to the Castle web site and looked around it is asking to build the 1110/1Y, what do I do from there? Do I just hit order with out hitting the build button? I just want to make sure that I am ordering the right thing. Any help that you can send my way will be great.
    Thanks
    Mano

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by manom99 View Post
    airmaxx23
    I wanted to get a NEU motor for my MERV, but when I went to the Castle web site and looked around it is asking to build the 1110/1Y, what do I do from there? Do I just hit order with out hitting the build button? I just want to make sure that I am ordering the right thing. Any help that you can send my way will be great.
    Thanks
    Mano
    Just order it through HERE, the price is a little lower and you don't have to "build" it. You will need some 2.5mm screws to mount it to the motor mount, the shaft needs to be shortened a little and it also needs the flat spot made on the motor shaft for the pinion set screw. It's very easy to do.

RC Racer
    how do you like your gt2b. im looking at one since my antena wire is gone, i know about the hack and all that. not sure if im going to go that route or just get a new rx. there both about the same price

RC Champion
    how do you like your gt2b. im looking at one since my antena wire is gone, i know about the hack and all that. not sure if im going to go that route or just get a new rx. there both about the same price
    There's obviously better radios out there but it does everything I need it to and the receivers are less than $8 each. There are a few things that are funky when changing settings but overall I really like it. I found a foam wheel grip to use from an old radio, it feels much better than the stock plastic one.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 10-15-2012 at 07:32 PM.