RC Racer

HUGE cooling mod test

Since I do my high-speed runs in a confined area--and do a great deal of braking--heat has been my top nemesis. In an attempt to alleviate this, I'm testing a HUGE fan. Since I have two bodies--one beat-up one and one brand new one--I have a vent in the body where the rear window is to allow some ventilation.

I have tried two different fans thus far, and neither seemed to help. Got the fan at Radio Shack for $15--it runs on a mere 6 volts, so I have the power coming from the receiver.

RC Qualifier
    That is gigantic!
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

LOL! When I saw the thread title, I thought you where going to have a water cooling system... But, I guess a HUGE fan works too...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    You better be careful not to get that thing spinning too fast or you might have a XO-1 Hovercraft !!! Just joking !! Wow that is a big fan !! I would think that would take care of the heat.

RC Competitor
    you might want to flip the fan over so it pushes air up
    it would help with down force at high speeds
    it would work with not against the air channel on the bottom of the chassis

RC Racer
    It seems to be working. For the first time EVER, I was able to get through a battery pack before I reached thermal shutdown. I was running a 29 gear with a lot of heavy braking, and the temps stayed pretty good. Before, I was at 165 degrees after a few passes. It's plastic, so it doesn't weigh very much. I like the way it cools the ESC and the motor at the same time--and it matched my shock's springs! The bracket is just a piece of aluminum that I bent up in a brake-then polished it with steel wool and WD-40.

Nathan, at 6 volts it doesn't move nearly the amount of air to give any aerodynamic assist, but it does move enough air to keep the cool air blowing on the parts. Don't know if its better to blow cooler air on the parts or to revese it to draw the warm air up from the parts. For now, I'm sticking to the blowing down.

RC Champion
    Blowing is far more efficient

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    LOL! When I saw the thread title, I thought you where going to have a water cooling system... But, I guess a HUGE fan works too...
    Yeah, I thought the same thing ...Something like My watercooling system

At least it work well
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

Ah. that good o' water cooled Slash... What ever happened to it? I haven't seen anythin about it yet...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Ah. that good o' water cooled Slash... What ever happened to it? I haven't seen anythin about it yet...
    Thanks

Well... Since I changed the motor to the mamba monster, I have nothing to update, just few details like the Y connector, but when here is the rainy season (right now ) I changed the mamba to the VXL combo and play with it... So there is nothing to update right now , And I am upgrading my T-Maxx too... like my remote start system (If you want, I can make you a blueprint for your slayer ) and my new ofna tank mod...But thanks for your interest and there are a lot of updates to come

BSC : sorry for steal your thread
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Nice mod!? they didn't have anything bigger? lol

RC Racer
    This is the custom-made fan I used before this. While larger than a normal Castle fan, it offered little help.

Last edited by BSC; 10-08-2012 at 07:44 PM.