RC Competitor

those who are having differential problems...what shafts are you using?

Those owners that are having a lot of differential problems......What shafts are you using? Original shafts? Summits or dogbones such as the Traxxas CVDs?

I'm running Summits with no issues...
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    back in those times the diff were breaking no matter what shaft i used.

but lets think of this just for fun. how a shaft could stress the diff? perhaps the cvds compared to the sliding stock or summits, sometimes are pushing the diff cups inside, thus stressing or moving the whole diff more.

the rotating force my guess is the same on all cases.

what is beyond doubt is that light tire-rim setup is a lot better on the diffs. the stock talons or summits are light. take big joes taped and your diffs will die on the first run!!

stuck bearings on the axles are adding to it also. and with a heavy truck ( rollcages big batteries etc) i cannot think of any other factor that could stress them.

RC Competitor
    I am "guessing" that dogbones are "easier" on a differential........that's all. I dont have problems with differentials and I use the Traxxas CVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBasher View Post
    Those owners that are having a lot of differential problems......What shafts are you using? Original shafts? Summits or dogbones such as the Traxxas CVDs?

RC Competitor
    But do you have problems with differentials?

Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    I'm running Summits with no issues...

You can but they will not last long run the stock drive with the LT rockers, you need the Summit shaft for that...
    So what rockers??

Everbody has probs with diffs.......Diff you need to shim them it does help. Alos only running 2/2s instead of 2/3s help too....Sweet spot is 5s....

good info in both threads..

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Diff-Shim-Mod

&

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...to-shim-a-diff.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Competitor
    87GN, No, everybody does Not have problem with Differentials. And most people dont shim the differentials either.

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    You can but they will not last long run the stock drive with the LT rockers, you need the Summit shaft for that...
    So what rockers??

Everbody has probs with diffs.......Diff you need to shim them it does help. Alos only running 2/2s instead of 2/3s help too....Sweet spot is 5s....

good info in both threads..

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Diff-Shim-Mod

&

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...to-shim-a-diff.

RC Qualifier
    87GN, No, everybody does Not have problem with Differentials. And most people dont shim the differentials either.
    Yup. I've not shimmed my diffs and I'm running 4s on a 6 pole 2560kv motor. Never had a problem. On the other and my buddy keeps blowing bearings in his summit rear diff on 4s and a 4 pole 2150kv motor.

Quote Originally Posted by deerhurst View Post
    Yup. I've not shimmed my diffs and I'm running 4s on a 6 pole 2560kv motor. Never had a problem. On the other and my buddy keeps blowing bearings in his summit rear diff on 4s and a 4 pole 2150kv motor.
    ok I will retract my statement, not evey one has trouble with diff, but it is still the weaks point in a BL Revo, so at some point everybody will have trouble with there diffs.......& shimming will help them last longer......

Brand new BL Maxx second easy run breaking in the truck, the rear diff locked up on the ring & pinion. Same inners as the BL Revo just different houseings........little shimming took care of the problem....

RC Qualifier
    I've gone through 2 ring gears and a set or two of spider gears myself.

I run 40 series Trencher tires, MIP Spline CVD's, 18/54 or 20/54. This is with the standard ERBE power system.

The breakage can be attributed to an overtightened slipper (done knowingly) and having the brakes set too high (makes sense they broke).

But do you have problems with differentials?

I have had endless diff problems with 6s...I must of easily over the past year re-built roughly 25 diffs between front and rear.

Best I've done is re-built 3 rear and 1 front in one day...I got fed up with the traxxas diff and did the Losi LST2 mod; I have never been happier since I have done this mod.

I have only broken a front bulkhead so far. This is my build thread...I would recommend this conversion to anyone who is running 6s.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i'm probably lucky since all i've been running are the stockers and i dont have any issue what so ever. maybe ill open up my diffs to check for play and shim it if needed.... just to be safe.......cause more likely, since i mention that i have no issue now.... chances are it will come to me LOL.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

jinxed your self

RC Champion
    I run the traxxas cvds and only had 1 diff bust on me. I wouldnt say i have diff problems because these diffs have lasted me along time while using larger terra pin tires on 6s and hard bashing.
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

RC Competitor
    Something is def wrong with having that much of a problem with diffs... I would guess that the problem is with the Summit shafts pushing and pulling on the differential.

I have had endless diff problems with 6s...I must of easily over the past year re-built roughly 25 diffs between front and rear.

Best I've done is re-built 3 rear and 1 front in one day...I got fed up with the traxxas diff and did the Losi LST2 mod; I have never been happier since I have done this mod.

I have only broken a front bulkhead so far. This is my build thread...I would recommend this conversion to anyone who is running 6s.

Something is def wrong with having that much of a problem with diffs... I would guess that the problem is with the Summit shafts pushing and pulling on the differential.
    I don't think so mate...I think I was demanding more than what my truck could give . The diff can't handle heavy acceleration and especially heavy braking on 6s. Hectic bashing is another culprit for destroying diffs...once you start playing around playing around gearing that just adds to equation.

Post a video for us to see how you are bashing your truck on 6s . This is just some of the stuff I do with my truck...

That's the way I like to bash .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Thats my style....awesome. My revo is laid up right now with another toasted ring gear. When i brought it in i found another broken summit shaft and a broken axle carrier. Im putting in the rpm true track setup and will soon be doing the losi diff mod. Really sick of this thing breaking. I rarely get through a charge wothout breaking something and ive even started to run 4s.

I don't think so mate...I think I was demanding more than what my truck could give . The diff can't handle heavy acceleration and especially heavy braking on 6s. Hectic bashing is another culprit for destroying diffs...once you start playing around playing around gearing that just adds to equation.
    I must learn to proof read ; You can search this forum from from way back in 2009 and see people have been doing the Losi LST2 mod and probably even before that ...it tells me that people have been having diff issues from way back then; which is why they have done the Losi LST2 mod .
    Rock n Rolla !

If that is what you are doing with your truck you should retract any negative comment whatsoever about its durability. I mean seriously no truck was built to handle that ever.

If thats how you "play" you gotta be willing to pay...and pay...and pay...and pay...I stopped jumping any of my trucks because I like running them not fixing them, thats my .02
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^^
    Each to their own I guess. Fail to see however which negative comments you need to retract Craig as post #16 clearly states that you agree you are heavy on your truck and that you are not one to keep your truck wrapped up in cotton wool on a shelf surrounding by fluffy bunnies! The vid might be a bit misleading though as I know that is not all that you do with your truck and I have seen you kill diffs just running up and down the street outside your house. Since you have done your diff upgrade you have abused your truck to the same if not even worse extent than your vid above shows and those upgraded diffs held up perfect. Make what you want of that fact!
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

All right mate...I retract any negative comment whatsoever about its durability; but stand by the LST2 diff mod. So far these diffs have held up great to my bashing.

At the end of the day...I get great enjoyment out of my truck and the things I do with it and don't mind paying for playing. Its what we make of it...such is life.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    I'm running 6s, 20/54, 40 series trenchers, tru-trac rear, and traxxas cvd. Going to replace rear diff tomorrow for 3rd time and I was only running on pavement at 1/2 throttle for 10 minutes

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Qualifier
    surely bigger diameter tyres puts more stress on the driveline so maybe people can start looking at that
    and comparing who has diffs last a long time and what tyres they r running
    compared to guys breaking diffs and the tyres they r running

anyway there is no way yr truck will be as good as new in a years time
    i broke 1 diff then went to losi diffs adn axles
    no shimming and a year later losi diffs are fine i think as they still work
    so unless i pull em apart i cant see if they r worn

but my losi axles bend on hi side impacts or cart wheels
    the ball/uni joint in the losi axle is rusted due to running thru puddles
    the bearings in the hubs are maybe dirty and need cleaning or replacing

i can put new bearings and axles and the next time i take my erevo out i can have dirty bearings and losi axles

so i dont do anything unless its very bad
    my truck has been running with rusty axles and dirty bearings and rpm a arms that bend
    but i just keep driving it and only repair it if its bad enough where i cant take it out

i spend 80% of time driving it and 20% fixing it

i run 6s and 45c lipos and 24/56 tooth gearing and i have tyres which are similar diameter to factory erevo tyres
    so i recon there is less strees on my driveline and i have not broken any losi bits
    they just wear
    if your car is not a shelf queen there is nothing u can do to stop things breaking or wearing
    soon as your car sees the road or dirt eventaully u will have to repair or replace broken or worn parts

I seen a lot of the same issues with the rustler vxl breaking axles or wearing them out "prematurely", most of the time the person who was constantly breaking them didn't want to change their driving style or their slipper clutch settings, they expected the parts to put up with all the abuse. To me it is all in how you drive and set up your rig, you can get parts to last it takes some effort to control yourself though! Which I admit is not easy really not easy when other people are watching and you are showing off a bit!

RC Qualifier
    Simple choice, you can either drive up and down like Miss Daisy, or you can go Crusty Demons style and can push yourself and your rig to test and improve on your driving limits and hopefully through forums like these challenge the designers/manufactures of the rigs and parts to improve on their product which will ultimately improve on all users general driving and bashing experience.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

That's being a bit dramatic, I am talking about subtle changes like loosening the slipper and learning when to let off the throttle so you aren't putting a shock load on the diff when it hits the ground. Small adjustments like that can really help to soften the blow on the drivetrain.

But I will admit, I don't take as many chances with my trucks as I used to when I first got them. I do get a little need for speed every now and again.

RC Qualifier
    driving the erevo on 6s and being soft on throttle is like telling a top fuel dragster to back off at the 60 ft mark
    heheheheh
    u drive it like u stole it
    i hardly break any major parts unless i hit something like a car or tree which hasnt happened yet

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    That's being a bit dramatic, I am talking about subtle changes like loosening the slipper and learning when to let off the throttle so you aren't putting a shock load on the diff when it hits the ground. Small adjustments like that can really help to soften the blow on the drivetrain.
    Bingo! Loosen your slipper clutch and take your finger off the throttle when you land a jump or cartwheel or whatever.

Jumping does not cause diff problems if you learn this.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit