RC Enthusiast

HELP! Total Noob with r/c stuff

ok today I picked up what I thought was a good working e-revo vxl. the thing has MAYBE 2 scratches on it so by looks it seemed ok for the price......20 bucks. Well I get it back and charge the battery up a bit and realize it has a problem. when I give it throttle it barely moves but makes some odd noises but when I hold it up it seems to spool up just fine. My wuestion, should I return it to the store I bought it at and buy a brand new one instead or should I just fix this one? What do I need to check? i've messed with a couple nitro stadium trucks and mine kept strippin out the spur gear so I took the housing off around the motor and they look fine. What else could it be?

RC Qualifier
    The motor magnets maybe, motor's shot

$20? That's a steal even if it is busted up
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Enthusiast
    well the controller is a little banged up so i talked them into 20 bucks off. went to check out n told the cashier the other worker said I could get 20 bucks off. She took it as ring it up for 20 bucks, I didnt realize it till I got outside and looked at the receipt. So any simple way to test the motor?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Your saying a store sold you that for 20.00?
    They wont stay in business too long!

First check the voltage in your battery or try another if you have one but sounds more like it was overheated and time for a new motor you can find one on ebay around 30.00 and still be looking good

RC Enthusiast
    well the battery was dead when I got it, let it charge for about 10 minutes before I plugged it in to verify it wasn't doa. so the scratching type noise is the motor?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It takes longer than 10 minutes to charge.
    Scratching could be a few things. Wasted clutch or Even motor bearings.
    I would back the motor away from the spur gear and rev it up to see what noises it makes

So I take it that store wont be on your parts run list!
    Didn't you ever watch my name is Earl and a little work called karma!
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-06-2012 at 03:01 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I bought it from a bargain store, they have a **** of a mark up anyway. I don't even think they really realized what it was, it had been there for a while. so explain why when I lift the truck off the ground it spools up so easily and gives the appearance everything is working fine? sorry if that sounded kinda douchey, wasn't my intention

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Takes a lot less power to turn the wheels in the air than on the ground! I had a motor that was overheated, spun in the air and on the ground made a strange noise and barely moved

RC Enthusiast
    hmm alright then, gonna order a motor for it. thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Could be completely grenaded diffs as well.

In any case... it is a super steal at $20.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Have you tried tightening the slipper clutch?
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Enthusiast
    i think even if you spend 100 bucks on fixes its a steal man i wish i would find thinks like that

RC Enthusiast
    yep, tried tightening the slipper clutch and it helped a little but still doesnt act right.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Pull the slipper off and inspect it. While its off spin the motor and see how it sounds

RC Enthusiast
    ok well I feel dumb now. let the battery charge over night and figured I'd give it another shot. Turned it on and it works BUT it seems like its losing signal when it gets over 10 feet away and theres a blinking red light on the car, what could this be?

RC Champion
    Is the ESC blinking or the receiver box, if it's the ESC is it a slow or fast blink?
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Enthusiast
    the esc is slowly blinking, noticed on the last run that the controller is also blinking when it stops working. lost sync maybe?

If you lost your bind, the receiver would flash red and the ESC would flash green.

Slow Blinking Red (with Low-Voltage Detection on): The VXL-3m has entered Low-Voltage Protection. When the battery voltage begins to reach the minimum recommended discharge voltage threshold for LiPo battery packs, the VXL-3m will limit the power output to 50% throttle. When the battery voltage attempts to fall below the minimum threshold, the VXL-3m will shut down all motor output. The LED on the speed control will slowly blink red, indicating a low-voltage shutdown. The VXL-3m will stay in this mode until a fully charged battery is connected.

Sounds like you need new batteries in your controller.

RC Qualifier
    If your using nimh turn car on then turn off but don't let go of button until you hear a decreasing chime. Takes about 12 seconds. This will disable low voltage so you can check it on a less charged battery. Don't forget to do it again when you use lipos. Green to go lipo. Red for the nimh to run dead. That's the light color on the esc when it's in it's respective mode.
    BB MERV/550 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Enthusiast
    well the controller is blinking green and the esc red so I think I found the problem. thanks

RC Enthusiast
    alright after reading and finding a copy of the manual online I figured it out. its my remote. when I bought it the antennae and wire were dangling from it. Well if I hold the antennae up it works fine. could I use some sort of tubing to make it stay stretched out like that?

The remote has a wire??

Can you post a picture?

RC Enthusiast
    sorry can't, turns out the wire goin up to the antennae is supposed to snap into a circuit board in the remote

RC Enthusiast
    the first one, and I guess it came unhooked again when I went out to test it bc its doin the same **** again. might just have to wait till I get home and take it to a guy I know that messes with rc cars alot. I still think k got a good deal for 20 bucks tho haha

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Probably a good deal for 100!

RC Enthusiast
    haha well if this whole signal thing can get worked out cheap then prolly so lol

RC Qualifier
    Considering that in Australia it's 500 dollars I would be pretty chaffed with that.

RC Racer
    IM SO SHOCKED!! UNREAL. $20 - don't care why, dfsihod// sorry fell off chair...
    1/16 EREVO, 1/10 SUMMIT

RC Enthusiast
    check bargain stores and pawn shops lol. you literally NEVER know what you're gonna find. Or more importantly, what you can haggle them down to