RC Competitor

Hard case lipo for slash 4x4?

So, I did all of my research on lipos and picked out the traxxas 7.2v 7600mah. I called a local RC track and they said soft pack lipos arent allowed in our buliding. Checked around and most tracks are like that. Not sure if im gonna race or not but i don't want to spend big $$$ on a lipo that is going to eliminate that possibility. So does traxxas make a hard case lipo? if not what kind do i get? My freakin head is spinning just trying to pick out batterys.

No traxxas doesnt make a hard case but I wish they did. I just bought a onyx 2s 4000mah hard case and it just fits. The height of the battery is a little big. But it performs well and was only 44$
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Check out the SPC 5400 50c 2s hardcase, or the 6000 30c 2s. Both are around 50$, and both are really good packs.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    Look at the Gens Ace hard case batteries - at my local track these are the most popular Lipos. Gens Ace also makes hard case Lipos with higher ratings. The Gens Ace batteries run about $45 and up. I have four of the 5000mah 40C continuous/80C burst batteries for use with my Slash 4X4.
    Slash 4X4 Ultimate with Novak 4.5T motor and ESC

RC Champion
    Venoms are pretty good too!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Champion
    I just purchased 4 of these: http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace2s50c.html I haven't found too many bad reviews on them and the price can't be beat. You can find traxxas adapters on ebay for $3 or you can just soldier traxxas connectors on.
    I also picked up 4 of these but he price has gone up since I bought them: http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace3s40c.html. They have free shipping on orders over $50
    Last edited by SLW-SVT; 10-09-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by morrjr View Post
    Look at the Gens Ace hard case batteries - at my local track these are the most popular Lipos. Gens Ace also makes hard case Lipos with higher ratings. The Gens Ace batteries run about $45 and up. I have four of the 5000mah 40C continuous/80C burst batteries for use with my Slash 4X4.
    Thats what Im using. No issues so far.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Thats what Im using. No issues so far.
    good to know!
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Qualifier
    I'm running a venom 4s, dynamite 3s and a trakpower 2s
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    I agree! I have one that is almost three years old and still doing well! Venom makes hard case lipos also. Before I received my SPC lipo venom were the only brand I had ever used. Can't beat their warranty!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    I just purchased 4 of these: http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace2s50c.html I haven't found too many bad reviews on them and the price can't be beat. You can find traxxas adapters on ebay for $3 or you can just soldier traxxas connectors on.
    I also picked up 4 of these but he price has gone up since I bought them: http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace3s40c.html. They have free shipping on orders over $50
    They did go up! I just bought some from there a few weeks ago. Still a decent price for a 3s 5000mAh 40C battery. I find some of the pack to be outrageously priced. Cmon $120 or more for a 3s pack? Dont fall for the C rating hype either. You will find that 40C is more than sufficent for most applications on 4x4. The load with my motor is right around 1000 watts.

1000Wnominal
    1400W peak

1000/11.1=90A nominal
    1400/11.1=126A peak

5000mAh=5 amps
    126A/5A=25C

So 40C is more than enough

Same calculation with 2s

1000W/7.4V=135A
    1400W/7.4=189A

5000mAh=5A
    189A/5A=37C

So Im covered at 40C peak on 2s or 3s.

RC poster

I like the Venoms I've been running

Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    I've been using the Venom Sport Power 40C 5000mAh 2S packs for about a year and really like them. I also have the 50C 5000mAh 2S packs (not labeled Sport Power, but they are the same red hard case with the leads coming out of the corner) and they do seem to add a bit of punch, but not a tremendous improvement.

I also have a couple of Racer's Edge 20C 5000mAh 2S packs. They're ok, but lack the power of the 40 or 50C Venom and I do not like the plug in leads (they get in the way and the balance lead seems fragile).

Just got a couple of Venom 3s 30C 3200mAh packs - can't wait to try them out. They are the same size and configuration as the 2s packs and I'm hoping they'll prove to be as long lasting.

RC Racer
    im running the skylipo 3s 5000mah (roar approved) whatever that means. . Runs really good and can take a beating. HAd it fly out of my friends truck a couple of times and the case held up!