RC Enthusiast

Angry Oh no i striped my set screw !!!

well the title says it all. Please don't tell me i am not completely screwed!

RC Qualifier
    Never had it happen but maybe you could try a little bit of tire glue on the tip of the correct size hex tool and let it dry while in the set screw..? Or could also try some threadlock.

RC Champion
    your local hobby shop should have the tools to get it out. then after that i would consider purchasing the Dynamite hex drivers to prevent that

RC Champion
    Had it happen to me and the lhs said the only way to get it out was to drill the set screw out . I did it and I can tell you it not a fun job . Good luck . I also heard to supper glue a hex in it .
    1 Rusty VXL

I think it is easier and faster to take a Dremel tool with a grinding stone and grind away the pinion until the screw falls out. Either way you always end up needing to buy a new pinion and the pinion is easier to grind away in most cases than the set screw is to drill out.

Get a good set of hex drivers and you wont have this issue anymore.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    take a dremel with cut off wheel cut a slice in it , then unscrew with screwdriver that how we do it at the shop and the pinion might still be useable

U can get that out without ANY of that!

Once I discoverd the RIGHT size to the pinions, I NEVER had this happen again. And with the 1.5mm id have it happen, sometimes on a brand new pinion.....

For the 1.5mm 3.3mm shaft pinions.

And then use 5/64th for 5mm pinions. Thats how I remove all stripped screws now. Use thier tiny bigger standard equivalents.

Thing that KSB taugh me here, was pinons arent really in metric size. And thats why they strip so much. They are actually standard size. Get a sec of some 11 dollar standard size hex drivers, and this will never happen again... This is what I got. For this exact reason. Problem Gone....

And nice thing. . ALL the pinions I have,that were stripped, I can now move with the 1/16inch screw driver.Even already stripped ones. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Racer
    i just used the 1.5 with loctite on the tip. i stuck it in the screw waited 10 or 15 mins for the loctite to get sticky. then it came out
    U.S. Army
    19kilo
    OIF 07-09

Some pinions use 1/16" but some do use 1.5mm. Many people incorreclty use a 1.5mm tool in a 1/16" set screw and that will cause a problem but some set screws require a 1.5mm for instance Traxxas pinions use a 1.5mm set screw not a 1/16"
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    ^^^ you can fit a 1/16 in them but some will be tight and some will not fit

works good for torqueing tight
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

As Dad posted, using the correct tool for the part is the best course of action. Always.
    If your chosen pinion brand has easily stripped grub screws, perhaps choose another brand.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Is the motor out of the car? You can secure the pinion in something like a vise. And use a punch and hammer to knock the motor shaft through the pinion. Never tried it, just a thought to try before grinding

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by josh62685 View Post
    Is the motor out of the car? You can secure the pinion in something like a vise. And use a punch and hammer to knock the motor shaft through the pinion. Never tried it, just a thought to try before grinding

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Diffenitly not that lol but thanks you guys for all the help the strong adhesive on the tip let try then bam done!

RC Champion
    or a pinion puller

pulls the pinion off the shaft

i think vxlrocket was showing his pinion puller off awhile ago
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo