Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Robinson racing slipper and spur

I stripped my spur after trying to get out of grass with the new 3s and now im in the market for a spur gear. How is the rr spur and slipper combo and is it worth the money?

I blame it all on Speedpede09
    I blame it all on speedpede09

RC Enthusiast
    RR spur and maxx 3908 slipper clutch kit works for me on 6s. Also have a 3905 for reference

RC Champion
    I considered the RR slipper kit. The deal killer for me is it has a specific spur and you can only get 54T. So instead for a slipper, when I use one which is not often. I odered up the E-revo plate, disc and rebuild kit and it makes for a very nice slipper. You will just have to back it off more than the stock one or it wont slip at all. Then got the hardened steel RR spur gear to mount on it. My normal set up is the center diff with an aluminum housing and a RR hardened steel spur and pinion. I keep them lubed with dry grahite.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmaxx 3905 View Post
    I stripped my spur after trying to get out of grass with the new 3s and now im in the market for a spur gear. How is the rr spur and slipper combo and is it worth the money?

You might try adjusting the mesh correctly, I used to have the same issue and discovered the mesh was too tight. .75 mm to 1mm gap works well for me. I no longer strip spurs. The Robinson is metal, pinion is metal, you have no weak spot with that setup. JMO
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Qualifier
    Plastic here, never had a problem with breaking spurs except for the one that came with the truck out of the box, because the mesh was off
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Qualifier
    I figured I could move the motor plate around to make more room for mesh
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Champion
    007 has a point there. Too tight can be worse than too loose. You can generally tell if its too tight just by the sound. Too loud=too tight.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the help but i think that a metal spur will be to nosey for me

I blame it all on speedpede09

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmaxx 3905 View Post
    Thanks for all the help but i think that a metal spur will be to nosey for me
    The RR slipper is a steel spur, there is no option for plastic and no option for a different sized spur. The build is very specific and only a RR 54T hardened steel spur made for that specific slipper build will fit. This is the only reason I didnt bother to try one. I run a lower kV motor and drop the spur size and increase the pinion, currently running 23/50. Try getting a 23T pinion on a 54T spur and be able to adjust it. I did and I barely got the spur to mount and it wasnt easy and the motor mount screws were pretty much maxed to the outer position. I wanted some room left to increase the pinion even more if I want to.

I hear the story of too noisey a lot. Believe it or not (no Im not Ripley) the steel spur and pinion when meshed correctly and lubed with dry graphite presents no more noise than dry plastic maybe even less. I couldnt even hear mine over the high pitched whine of a castle MMP or MMM ESC. The first time I even noted any noise from them is when I changed to Tekin Sensored ESC/motor combo that is very quiet. When I do high speed runs the tires on the pavement make far more noise than the pinion and spur gears and running the TRCE chassis the noise isnt dampened by being encased in the stock skid plate and the top cover, they are wide open and exposed.

Edit:
    One other option is the Hot Racing Delrin machined spur gears. Delrin is far more durable than plastic yet shares a lot of its properties and those spurs are cheaper than the hardened steel. I thought about that option and passed because of limited number of distributors.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 10-06-2012 at 11:21 AM.

RC Racer
    HotRacing Steel Spur and Pinion. Is the best and cheaper. I have been using it on 3s for couple months and works great! Many other people use it as well.

RC Qualifier
    I would love to get one of those my self but they are only offered in a 54 tooth spur and I like to run a 50 tooth spur.
    So I run an E-revo carbon clutch kit with a Hot racing clutch plate and hot racing derlin spur gear and have not had any problems running 3s on the stock motor/ESC.