RC Racer

time to change gearing

So I've been running my 2WD VXL stock gearing for a while and now it's time to start playing with the speed vs. power.
    What set would you recommend for best power and less speed (bashing in a small area) ?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by mudrunner; 10-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.

RC Racer
    I run 86 spur and 18 pinion. I also have a small area and track, only get to open it up once in awhile, love it so far, altho on stock tires i spun alot. Got some proline gladiators( run loose dirt, cut grass track) and its like a litte missle... Put 4 oz weight in the front to help with wheelies... The 0-40 mph or whatever it is, is impressive!

RC Champion
    Don't know what you are running now but as jem450r mentioned a 18/86 is very good. I use an 19/90 myself but I have a castle SV2 5700kv motor. And I also run the Proline Gladiators for off road use on loose soil over hard pack...Perform very well...
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

What gearing are you running now, with what motor/esc, and what do you want it to do differently?
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Racer
    Thanks.
    I got a stock 2WD VXL Slash and the gearing now is also stock, didn’t touch it since day 1 I got it, if I'm not wrong its 10.17 (86/23) .
    Basically I look for more acceleration, power rather than top speed as I'm ruining it most of the time on a small track and I never can achieve the top speed there.
    Also if you can link to this tires you’ve mentioned, do they use 12hex or 17 ?

Thanks.

RC Champion
    I've mounted my Gladiators to Proline beadlocks with rc carbon works carbon fiber rings and they are 12mm hex.

If you kept the same size spur gear (86t) use a 18t pinion, top speed will drop about 5 mph but accelerate much quicker.
    You may also want to try 18/90 and it will even accelerate quicker yet.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

I prefer changing pinions instead of spur gears. You can drop down a few pinions but I wouldn't go lower than 16t. You can start overheating the esc with too-low gears.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Can i use the original wheels of the slash, pill off the dead original tiers and install these Gladiators ?

RC Champion
    Yes you can use the stock rims (2.2 X 3.0) with the Proline Gladiators 2.2 X 3.0. I would run at least one wrap of duct tape on the inside of the tire prior to gluing them to the rims to keep tire ballooning which allows the tire run flatter with more rubber on the ground.

Proline also makes a 2.2 Gladiator tire that has a little larger knob but must be used with Epic 2.2 rims. It is not a beadlock rim but the tire has more bite than the 2.2 x 3.0 tire. Then there is the 2.2 x 3.0 Badlands for ultimate grip in loose soil over hard pack.... Work good on grass also.....

I personally do not reuse rims, unless they are beadlocks.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    Can i use the original wheels of the slash, pill off the dead original tiers and install these Gladiators ?
    Yes, youll have to get the old ones off by either the oven method, acetome method ect, then glue on the new tires. Or save up for some beadlocks and dont mess with any glue... And have rims for when those tires wear out. Got proline beadlocks, they work awesome and they look sweet

RC Champion
    The Proline split six wheels come with steel red rings and the rings weigh 15.75 grams each which is ok but adds to the rotating mass (sucks up horse power). STRC makes aluminum rings @ 6.25 grams ea in many colors and RC carbon works makes carbon fiber rings @ 4.5 grams ea.

Split six rim with carbon fiber ring.

And on one of my Slashes with the Aluminum blue rings--Badlands on the rear--Gladiators up front
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    Luckily the pinions are fairly inexpensive...I bought a Traxxas 19T pinion. I'm pleased with its pickup in the smaller areas that I run.

FYI: get a proper 1/16 wrench to remove and install the pinion. I tried the metric both what came in the kit and an actual tool...just spun in the hole. Someone else pointed out the allen size is really a 1/16. It came loose easily and hasn't ever come loose. Thanks to the forum for that tidbit.