Spring Rates for the ProTrac Suspension

I have just installed the ProTrac on my Slash. Its a good thing I got 25% off on it, after tires new bearings shock shafts and a bunch of other stuff, I'm into this upgrade at about $125. Anyways, I have read up and looked at a bunck of videos on the ProTrac kit, and it looks like the Losi XXX green and blue shocks work about the best with the kit. The only problem, none of the hobby shops carry them, I have ordered them, but it will take another week for them to come in.

So, I am experimenting with springs, I have a big'ol bag of them, but have no idea what rate they are. If I understand spring rates properly, it is the amount of force required to compress a spring 1", correct? This seems too simple, too easy, intuitively I thinking I can take a small ruler, push the spring down on the scale 1" and what ever the scale says, that is the rate for that spring; is that it, or is there something more that I have to do?

ProTrac Kit...
    It might just me be, but this seemed like it was a tricky build, at least the front part was, the back fell together quite nicely. I was a little annoyed when I noticed that there were no instructions in the package, but a quick trip to Proline's website and I found the detailed build video. Anyone else find that they had to watch the video a couple of times to get the front end put together right?

Now that it is back together, I have noticed a lot less body roll, and the truck does seem to track a lot better. This is with 45wt oil all around and stock tires, the glue is curing on the new rubber... Something else I have noticed is the front-to-back weight is different, the CG seems to have moved back and at full throttle the front wheels barely contact the ground (I can turn the front wheels full let and right a just barely change the path of the truck).

What are some setup tips the ProTrac? (I am still using the Ultrashocks)

I think my next upgrade will be a LCG chassis from Anza or Proline...

Thanks.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    damen where did you have the kit i find it on rcsuperstore for like 50 buck with shipping and on ebay for 45 to 55 free shipping. anyway how does it work? im thinking of upgrading myself. do you like it? would you rememmend it?

RC Enthusiast
    oh ya if you have a 2wd slash you can get the ruslter chassis with the conversion on ebay for 66 bucks and it's cheapper. thats what i have but i started with a rustler and make it a 2wd slash because there wasnt enough to make a statium tack

The kit itself was only $39 after the rebate, but there was other stuff I needed to complete the install...

Wheels: I went with medium compound PL Calibers - $50 for a full set
    Shock oil: 45wt - $3
    Shock shafts: Both my rear shafts looked like comas - $4
    Springs: On order (see above) - $10, springs the 'expert' at the hobby shop sold me that don't work so well - $10.
    Bearings: The bearing in the back carriers felt like they were square - $8 (2 sets)

I also added a Traxxas aluminum bell-crank, which is A LOT smoother than the stock crank due to the bearings - $34. I'm kicking myself though, I should have went with the PL bell-crank kit. Doing some reseach (which I should have done BEFORE I broke out my plastic), the biggest problem with the Slash steering is all of the slop in the servo saver. The PL kit goes to the same style as the 4x4 Slash/Pede and really tightens up handling; oh well, an upgrade for later.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    o ok thats make sense ya i got the traxxas alum bellcrank not to long after i got my rustler because the screw just pulled right out. the pl steering has the servo saver build in and you will need a horn for the servo too just so you know i watch a vid the another day on it