RC poster

Slash 2wd to vxl 3s combo gearing questions?

My velineon 3500kv motor is getting way too hot like too hot to touch and I was concerned I might fry motor. So I wanted to know what gearing is best for the average basher. My slash is all stock except for the traxxas steel output yokes and I run the stock nimh 3000mah battery, please help and thanks in advanced.

RC Racer
    I'd start by making sure the gear mesh isn't too tight and check for any bind in the drivetrain. Your motor shouldn't be getting that hot just running on a stock 3000 8.4v NiMH. I don't know how old your Slash is but maybe clean and lubricate the front bearing on the motor and lube the wheel bearings. I don't have a velineon, so someone else is going to have to discuss proper gearing with you (unless your gearing is stock).
    Last edited by SR-71; 10-05-2012 at 12:08 PM.

You need a temp gun to really know how hot your motor temps are. On a cool day 128F feels pretty hot.

You shouldn't have any trouble with 18/83 or 19/86 gearing but that will be a little boring with the velineon. Get a temp gun and work your way up to 23/83 and beyond.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    I ran the stock gearing (23/86) with the original battery and a 9.6 volt. Most of the time is was too hot to touch, but didn't stop. I added a 2S and then 3S. The 3S would thermally shut it down if run in grass.

I switched to a 19/86 for all my runs and no problems any thus far (10 batteries).

I don't have a temp gun...just letting the ESC to figure it out.

RC Qualifier
    Gotta agree with these guys. 19/86 for a 3S. A temp gun is a good idea, and can be bought on ebay cheap.
    Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4
    Looking for MERV

RC Racer
    Ya on 3s 18/86 and temps are good unless im running real real hard for 15+ min then its pretty warm. Run on grass cut real low. Also added a heatsink and fan to the motor, hardly gets warm anymore...