RC Competitor

Best way to make a Slash slower.

I'm picking up a Brushless Slash 2WD for my sons 5th birthday in the very near future, what is the best way to make it slower beyond the training mode on the ESC? I feel even in training mode it will still be a little too fast for him. I'll be putting my old brushed ESC and motor in it when I get it
    (BTW, He has experience with toy grade RC's, but they dont last too long, and they barely have any power to even make it through the grass)

RC Qualifier
    Gearing it down, and the putting in the brushed with help a lot. If it's a traxxas esc, I'd even try that on training mode till he gets used to the basics.

I just read that another member glued a pencil eraser to the back of the throttle trigger so it wouldn't go back all the way to full throttle.

RC Competitor
    Looking at gears... would these work, or is there a bigger spur gear that will work?

Traxxas Spur Gear 32P 72T TRA4472
    Traxxas 32P Pinion Gear 9T:TRA6745

RC Champion
    Just put a travel stop on the trigger of the transmitter or if newer transmitter and iPod/phone/pad docked just reduce throttle end point

RC Qualifier
    I had similar but different issue. I wanted something more than 50% of the Titan motor but not full speed.

Perfect solution. I bought a Helion Dominus Motor (Brushed 550 21T) and put that in the truck with stock 19/90 gearing. I would say that it was about 70% of the Titan. Perfect for my six year old.

So if you put that in and turn on training mode, you'll have just what you want. 35% of full Titan power.

RC Champion
    look into a 6 cell battery and not the 7 cell battery it comes with.

RC Qualifier
    easiest and cheapest to just lower the gearing
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    When my grandson was 5, in a Slash, I just used the brushed motor, 6 cell NiMH, 19/90 gearing and training mode. After about 6 months (36 battery packs) he has learned to control the speed and steering alot better. Took it out of training mode and use 7 cell packs and on occasion 2 cell lipo.

He is now 6 and can get around our track here at home, but still likes to do donuts and stur up alot of dust.... and wear down tires.

Another thing to do is put a good set of tires on the truck to allow better control.. The stock tires on pavement are ok but in the dirt don't have much traction.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

End point adjustment on the throttle channel.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Competitor
    I'm buying a lot that someone is selling on a local classified.

i have a losi ten-scte and a 2wd traxxas slash for sale, both trucks are well maintained and run perfect, i have 3 lipo batteries, charger, extra wheels, bodies and many other spare parts, the slash has lots of upgrades to include, blue rpm a-arms, venom blue and red shocks, brushless velineonmotor with mamba max esc, after market wheels and tires and a ford raptor body, the losi is all stock except the rims and tires, body, and chassis mount, i also have a whole toolbox of tools and spare parts that will go with them price is $**** firm

So I'll be swapping in my old brushed setup.

BTW, how much should I be paying for all that?
    Last edited by Premier00000; 10-05-2012 at 05:19 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Why don't you just program the Mamba Max esc with throttle limits? No muss, no fuss, no extra parts, plus you'll get longer run times for the little feller and you're ready to step up the speed without swapping stuff around again.

RC Qualifier
    For 32p spurs, 58t is the biggest that will fit without rubbing on the axles. These things are tough- an XL5 on training mode will be bulletproof, especially geared 16/90.

RC Competitor
    I found a 12t 48p pinion gear online that should work with it.

RC Competitor
    Well looks like ill be keeping the slash for my self and my son will be getting my stampede.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster75 View Post
    For 32p spurs, 58t is the biggest that will fit without rubbing on the axles. These things are tough- an XL5 on training mode will be bulletproof, especially geared 16/90.
    Hot Racing makes a 60t 32p spur that will fit without rubbing. It is steel, and bowl shaped like the stock spur. around 20 bucks, but mine came with an 18t pinion:

Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Qualifier
    My 3 year old son has a pede I have him on 6 cell batteries with 21t hpi brushed motor and 11/90 gearing. Enough torque to pull wheelies which he loves but keeps it slow enough to keep the a arms, bumpers and hubs attached.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Premier00000 View Post
    Well looks like ill be keeping the slash for my self and my son will be getting my stampede.
    scratch that. he decided he wanted the Slash because it rolled over less... now to find a body he likes without him knowing...

RC Champion
    Darn thoes kids anyway........
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Haha, slashes are so much cooler looking. Wish you the best!

RC Competitor
    with a 14T pinion 7.4V battery and in training mode it seems to be a good speed for him... but I wont know for sure for another 2 weeks.

RC Qualifier
    7.4v... lipo? Good choice. Should be slow enough. Are you getting the brushless right from the start? You should.

RC Competitor
    No, I swapped in my old XL-5. I might get a HPI Wheely King 27 turn motor. The Titan seems a little weak to climb the hills in my neighborhood.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, might be a good idea, they are not made to last as well, they make them by the thousands.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSnake View Post
    Gearing it down, and the putting in the brushed with help a lot. If it's a traxxas esc, I'd even try that on training mode till he gets used to the basics.

I just read that another member glued a pencil eraser to the back of the throttle trigger so it wouldn't go back all the way to full throttle.
    the acceleration with make the car spin out
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.