RC Enthusiast

Merv came in the mail yesterday!

Well, as the title states, the Merv is here. I wanted a good basher to introduce my son into the hobby and I came across this one on ebay. After doing a ton of homework on here. Thanks to all of you by the way. I decided to pull the trigger on this little guy.

Hopefully the picture comes up. I'm on my phone right now.
    Everything in the picture is what came with the purchase.
    It has rpm a arms all around.
    Rpm bumpers and wing.
    Traxxas wheelie bar wheels I believe.
    Roll cage
    4 sets of wheels and tires total.
    The toy carry bag
    Set of leds
    Screws set. But its for a summit. Idk why but I'm sure most of the screws will fit.
    Pro line body
    aluminum servo protectors.
    Red aluminum skid plates.
    Heat sink
    All in all I think I did good for $350

I bought some shims while I was waiting for this to get here just in case.
    I have plans for a stronger servo. The one most talked about on here. I see they are in stock on line. And maybe a t-bone skid plate set. A stronger motor and esc to handle those bigger wheels and tires too . Maybe a neu motor like Jimmy and not sure what esc. I'm new to the hobby. About 6 months in and my first car is only 3 months old. Any feedback or advice is appreciated.
    Let me know what you guys think.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Pretty nice!
    I would get use to the power before upgrading. When running the beadlocks there are kind of heavy
    check the temp often with them. Get a supply of pinions -smaller will run cooler and pu a temp gun
    a t bone is a good idea and a servo is a must ihave a hitec 5085 but there is another one that's a little better but in china
    Here is a good thread from Jimmie to how to shim http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-your-bulkhead

once you feel the need for more power check out a neu 1110 1/y and a mmp esc. Wont run hot and very fast!
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-05-2012 at 09:10 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Man you got a deal and a half! Nice 1st truck, I'm sure your son is stoked, you will be too cause these things are a blast!

I side with 50, get use to the stock power on it before upgrading the motor. Stock motor is capable of putting down plenty of power, its the ESC that will be your weak link. I've ran my stock motor on 4 (not recomended) and it held up fine for a good 10-15 races agains some buddies with a 10th scale serpent and a 8th scale kyosho w a built motor and I walked them as long as I didn't full throttle it because it would just stand up and pogo until if flipped
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. I was really thinking about the motor and esc upgrade because of the overheating issues with the bigger tires. I forgot how much power my son would have to deal with. He's 5. I plan on leaving it in training mode for him for a long time. lol. I'll be right there with him while he's running by the way. I know how fast things can go wrong even at half speed.

Can the motor handle the load of the bigger tires if I change the esc only? Is that a bad idea? Maybe a sidewinder?

Thanks for the thread 50. I did a ton of homework last week including reading Jimmies thread so I wouldn't be one of those guys asking a question thats been answered a 100 times. Looks pretty cut and dry. If I get stuck I'll be on here though askin away.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. I was really thinking about the motor and esc upgrade because of the overheating issues with the bigger tires. I forgot how much power my son would have to deal with. He's 5. I plan on leaving it in training mode for him for a long time. lol. I'll be right there with him while he's running by the way. I know how fast things can go wrong even at half speed.

Can the motor handle the load of the bigger tires if I change the esc only? Is that a bad idea? Maybe a sidewinder?

Thanks for the thread 50. I did a ton of homework last week including reading Jimmies thread so I wouldn't be one of those guys asking a question thats been answered a 100 times. Looks pretty cut and dry. If I get stuck I'll be on here though askin away.

RC Champion
    download the manual and look at the gearing chart. there are several gear combinations you can change to handle those tires. Its the same setup as the traxxas mini summit and they have huge tires. just change the gear combination and that will not only slow the car down for the little guy to get use to, but it will keep the motor temps down.

when you want to go faster, I would go with a smaller lighter tire and if you really want to go faster, start with the ESC and use the same motor. If thats not enough, then you can go to a new motor.

My two cent

"RED"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the mmp would be a great esc .you don't need the fan won't get hot ,you can dial it in to below 50% for your son ,power,punch,throttle curve even brake. then down the road it will handle any motor you throw at it!

RC Competitor
    Hes gonna love it. I have 2 one for my son and one for me. We always have a blast with them.

Enjoy

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a ton. Never would have thought of using the summit gears. I'll stop by my lhs today and see if they have them. He really loves the pro line wheels. Lol. I was originally gonna pick up a stampede but I thought this would be more fun in the long run.