RC Competitor

Question how to open transmission to lube it up!

Hey guys.

I have a nitro rustler 2.5. I wanna re-grease the diff because I'm getting a lot of wheel spin on one side andit's slowing me down!

how do I do this?

Thanks

RC Champion
    You take the transmission off the chassis. Take it apart to access the diff. Disassemble the diff. Add grease. Reassemble in reverse order of taking it apart. Its really not that difficult to work on these things. The sooner you become comfortable taking things apart, the quicker your knowlede of the hobby expands.

RC Competitor
    Yeah I've taken the motor apart etc... it's just the diagrams make it look so complicated.... Wish there was a write up

RC Champion
    Best way to learn is hands on. Just pay attention when taking it apart. Its really very simple.

RC Champion
    I was a little worried my first time but I knew i'd figure it out. Remove the screws for the tranny brace by the tank, disconnect break linkage and drive yokes from the tranny. From the bottom of the truck, remove the 4 screws to the tranny and the 2 in the bulk head to pull everything off the chassis. Be careful not to damage you power switch wires. The bulkhead and tranny lock in together. Pull the bulkhead up to get it off the tranny. Theres 2 screws behind the spur gear and 5 on the other side of the tranny to pull the tranny in 1/2. The diff is the big gear. Like Powerman said, reverse the order to get her back together. Good luck. Its not hard at all.
    Shaggy...

RC Competitor
    Kool thanks for the replies. I attempted this and didn't get anywhere due to a stripped screw on the chassis (previous owner) so now i have to drill it out when i have time.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lsbufis View Post
    Kool thanks for the replies. I attempted this and didn't get anywhere due to a stripped screw on the chassis (previous owner) so now i have to drill it out when i have time.
    A nice tool to have is an EZ-Out or also called a screw extractor. Mine has become worth its weight in gold. Just stay away from the cheap ones like black and decker (walmart). Make sure they are made of cobalt or case hardend steel. I real good set is about $30. Just drilling out will damage threads. Then you have to buy a new case. EZ Out should be this style,

RC Competitor
    I used something similar to what you posted.. (Mastercraft brand) and this was my 1st time using it and now the screw head is completely dug in lol.. I gave up .. :-(

RC Champion
    Did you drill a pilot hole first. Probably be about 3/32" to 1/8" bit. Sometimes you need to back away and try again later. Before you use the hammer to fix it. LOL
    Mastercraft tools are made of alloys.(been there). http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Bi...069-70-970.htm I get mine from work out of the machine shop.
    Last edited by Powerman; 10-15-2012 at 08:12 PM.

RC Competitor
    here's a pic of the MUBAR'D screw lol.

Which ones do i have to take out ?? the 2 closer to the flywheel? and i've never really had to deal with messed up screws.. this was damage done by the previous owner... Now i'm gonna have to purchase a Dynamite RC screw set for the rusty

RC Champion
    You have to take out all the ones in the pic except the ones holding the arms on. Are the Dynamite hex? I highly recommend hex screws. Thats what all my screws looked like in all the used trucks I got. I stripped a bunch before I upgraded to hex traxxas screws. The stock screws just don't last long.
    Shaggy...

RC Competitor
    sorry for being such a noob.. It sucks not having the parts diagram that was supposed to be included with the car.

So the ones in red need to be taken out and that's it?

Thanks so much

RC Competitor
    ? standing by for much appreciated assistance =)

RC Champion
    4 circled and 2 all the way to the right of the pic. You have to remove the rear bulkhead.

RC Competitor
    any input on removing that screw without drilling? or is drilling my only chance

RC Champion
    Looks like drilling is your only option.