RC Qualifier

Anything out there other than stock parts for transmission inners?

Hey guys, I ordered a REM alum transmission the other day. I have my stock gearing from the mag 272 trans. Is there any high performance parts out there for inside the transmission? I have seen the aluminum diff that FLM carries. I will also be changing to 32 pitch spur/pinion. Thanks. Who Dat!

RC Qualifier
    FLM has the sealed diff, a few companies offer steel or aluminum idlers, STRC makes a top shaft for AE slippers. MIP has a ball diff on the way, and Traxxas also has a ball diff that isn't stout enough for brushless power.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster75 View Post
    FLM has the sealed diff, a few companies offer steel or aluminum idlers, STRC makes a top shaft for AE slippers. MIP has a ball diff on the way, and Traxxas also has a ball diff that isn't stout enough for brushless power.
    Thanks for the info blaster. Can't tell from the picture or description of the flm trans if it comes built or you use traxxas parts inside? I don't want to make this to difficult when traxxas parts are so cheap.

RC Qualifier
    Both the trans case and sealed diff are empty, so you can fill with your choice of internals.

RC Champion
    Install a FLM diff and Robinson Racing idler and the trans will be just about bullet proof.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Hey Reaper, until somebody makes a one piece topshaft, what do you recommend for the pin in the topshaft?

RC Champion
    If the inner pin snaps then I just replace it with a piece of a hex wrench. I have never had any trouble with the outer.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    ok, cool, thats what im using right now. I'll say that stock internals have been pretty good to me, except teh diff always leaks grease when I pack it full.

RC Champion
    A diff is not supposed to be full. Even sealed diffs need some empty space.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Install a FLM diff and Robinson Racing idler and the trans will be just about bullet proof.
    Thank reaper. I will order those items wright now. The FLM diff I a little expensive, but you get what you pay for. I went ahead and ordered the complete REM alum kit for the p2de. I know alum bends, but I want to give it a try. I think I will build a stock waterproof p2de with my spares. I never got to run mine in water and mud. I need a pede that I can just treat Bradley!lol

RC Champion
    Make sure the diff is working properly before closing the trans case. Some times the FLM diff will give the user some trouble with the sun gears. Not sure why but it happens.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Make sure the diff is working properly before closing the trans case. Some times the FLM diff will give the user some trouble with the sun gears. Not sure why but it happens.
    Ok thanks. When you say "sun" gears, are you referring to the stock traxxas (4) gears that go in the diff? I went ahead and ordered the diff from stormer hobbies and the Robinson racing idler on eBay. I want to get this pede wright from the get go. Thanks for your help.

RC Champion
    Yes. Something in the way the pins fit in the case will cause the gear mesh to be wrong every once and a while. I believe the diff comes with some pins that are tapered on one end. Now I could be wrong but I think the tapered end goes up/towards the small half of the case.

Also to get the best performance from the diff you should use diff oil. Grease will work fine but its not as adjustable. I like to use 30,000 weight oil.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

You'll like the FLM differential case when it arrives, it's almost as pretty as a jewel case. Another option is the Swami-RC differential but it does not seal and is more expensive. Check out post #33 on my build thread below for some Swami pics and other ideas in the thread.

I also have a thread click here about the FLM diff; if it isn't smooth on first assembly, make sure the pins are in correctly as mentioned above by Reaper.

My build thread, check post #33
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    You'll like the FLM differential case when it arrives, it's almost as pretty as a jewel case. Another option is the Swami-RC differential but it does not seal and is more expensive. Check out post #33 on my build thread below for some Swami pics and other ideas in the thread.

I also have a thread click here about the FLM diff; if it isn't smooth on first assembly, make sure the pins are in correctly as mentioned above by Reaper.

My build thread, check post #33
    thanks for the great info O.G.

I have the FLM sealed diff in my track slash and when I took it for a drive the other day (with road tires) it was acting funny on acceleration like the diff fluid has been leaking out... I'm going to open it Friday for a looksee.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...