RC Competitor

Tekin Vs. Castle

It seems like a lot of guys on here run Castle motors and escs on here, but not so much Tekin. I've heard that a Tekin Pro4 with an RX8 esc will walk all over Castle set ups, but it kinda seems like Castle set ups are the big name in power. So what's better?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pfleeger2010 View Post
    It seems like a lot of guys on here run Castle motors and escs on here, but not so much Tekin. I've heard that a Tekin Pro4 with an RX8 esc will walk all over Castle set ups, but it kinda seems like Castle set ups are the big name in power. So what's better?
    Ford or Chevy?
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Qualifier
    I was wondering the same thing, I can't even fiqure out which Castle system is best for the Slash 4x4? Everyone has a different suggestion or opinion of what is the BEST system.

Quote Originally Posted by pfleeger2010 View Post
    it's not really what's better, it's what is more practical for your application. most of the guys here are bashers.
    1)Castle escs can be waterproofed.
    tekin's cannot because their sensored and sensored motors cannot be waterproofed.
    2)Castle software is more user friendly imo and costs less
    a tekin hardwire at my lhs is $40...the castle link is $25
    3) the Castle motors imo run cooler and have more power
    i've had 3 tekin combos..a truggy combo the SC on the rx8 and a 2650 buggy combo. my tekin motors always ran hotter than my castle motors
    4) Tekin motors are much much smoother imo.
    5)both places have good customer service

to me it comes down to practicality. i race tekin. i bash Castle, imo Castle is more durable. Tekin is incredibly smooth and has more fine tuning ability on their esc. that comes in handy with very technical tracks. just my 2 cents...both are EXCELLENT companies
    (2)RC8TEs, RC8.2E (2)slash 4x4 2650 pede 3800

RC Qualifier
    Castle 2400 sct combo is what I run. The castle mamba monster/2200 is also becoming very popular, but unless you plan on running 6s it's overkill. 4s on the mmp/2400 combo is a handful, plenty powerful enough and can be ran on 3s for bashing and its much more tame.

RC Champion
    Im with Rocket for the most part.

On most systems the castles are cheaper and unsensored. When you get up into the larger applications they are dollar for dollar.
    Comparison...The MMM/2650 is the same price as the RX8/T8 2650.
    Tekin can be run unsensored if you want and will run cooler and more effiecient unsensored.
    The Tekin walks off from the caslte on smoothness when run as sensored, cant even compare there
    The Tekin RX8 has a more powerful onboard BEC than castle. If you run a high torque servo with a castle you have to get an external BEC as the castle just cant handle the load. I added a Savox 1258TG to a MMM and a MMP and it didnt glitch, it flat blacked out every time I moved the servo. RX8 doesnt even flinch with an even higher torque Hitech I just put in.
    Im way over powered so the motor doesnt get hot sensored. I just switched over from castle MMM/1512 2650 to Tekin RX8/T8 2650 for two reasons. Firsty the Servo issue and secondly the smoothness factor. With the Castle combo the throttle control on the lower end after I got it geared where I wanted went from 0 to 20% and cogged like crazy. No matter how I set the throttle curves and other setting in the ESC still got the same result. Added throttle curves and exponential to Futaba 4Pks, same story. Switched to Tekin sensored, smooth as silk and the throttle curves and exponential actually works. The Tekin also is much quieter, no high pitched ESC whining going on. The only thing I can hear are the pinion and spur gears and then the tires on the road as I blast the truck past me at 70mph.

They are both good setups and good service from both compaines. Just have to figure out which provides what you are after.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 10-03-2012 at 10:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I like the castle sound. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabun View Post
    I like the castle sound. Lol
    me too. Everytime i bring my e -revo to the track to play all the tekin guys call it chainsaw. Lol. I do race truggy and buggy with tekin though. Justin is right imo..the becs in rx8 seem better than castle's

Quote Originally Posted by bruggar View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, I can't even fiqure out which Castle system is best for the Slash 4x4? Everyone has a different suggestion or opinion of what is the BEST system.
    here again if depends on your application...
    1)do i want to stick with 2 and 3s only and not mod my drivetrain? Get the 3800 combo
    2)do i want more torque,less heat and i'm wiling to mod the drivetrain...i also will need to gear up to get the same speed as the 3800.
    Get the 2400 combo
    3)have i lost my mind and have more cash than common sense? Because now i gotta mod the drivetrain..probably wheel adapters....revo diff locker and run 4s packs at a minimum. I also gotta switch to a revo spur and change pinions. Then the 2200 or 2650 is your combo. Which is better? The 2200 runs cooler and haz more torque...but at this point it's all relative because you' ll never go above 130 degrees with either.
    hope that helps
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 10-03-2012 at 11:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    1)do i want to stick with 2 and 3s only and not mod my driverrain? Get the 3800 combo
    2)do i want more torque,less heat and i'm wiling to mod the drivetrain...i also will need to gear up to get the same speed as the 3800.
    Get the 2400 combo
    3)have i lost my mind and have more cash than common sense? Because now i gotta mod the drivetrain..probably wheel adapters....revo diff locker and run 4s packs at a minimum. I also gotta switch to a revo spur and change pinions. Then the 2200 or 2650 is your combo. Which is better? The 2200 runs cooler and haz more torque...but at this point it's all relative because you' ll never go above 130 degrees with either.
    hope that helps
    Revo lockers will work with the slash 4x4 diffs???

Interesting... Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabun View Post
    Revo lockers will work with the slash 4x4 diffs???

Interesting... Very interesting.
    yup...it's what holds mine together....maybe i worded that wrong. It's the bar that stablizes the e-revo planetaries.that comes with the set of gears.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 10-03-2012 at 11:32 PM.

RC Champion
    1)do i want to stick with 2 and 3s only and not mod my drivetrain? Get the 3800 combo
    Get the 2400 combo
    hope that helps
    LOL, I fall into #3!

Hmmmm about to check out the locked differential....
    Post up some more info on this secret, no holding out here!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    LOL, I fall into #3!

Hmmmm about to check out the locked differential....
    Post up some more info on this secret, no holding out here!
    it's tra5382x. That bar prevents the case from flexing..it's awesome
    I fall into #3 too!
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 10-04-2012 at 12:15 AM.

RC Qualifier
    this is with all do respect to everyone i might offend i have run alot of different thing off of a castle bec light winch dual servos and never had a problem and when i say dual servos im not talking about traxxas either .the only people that seem to have problem is people with savox and other nock off servos . yes i run over priced servos in some of my truck (aka jr and spectrum ) but i have tons of power and no glitching or black ,brown or blue outs . back to the topic best motor really depends on you im a basher and a show off i run all castle . but for racing hands down tekin is the way to go . alot of racer come into the store and not one has anything bad to say about there tekin stuff

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgb007 View Post
    Ford or Chevy?
    Everything looks better with a Bowtie baby. Although, I am a fan of the Fox body Mustangs, seeing as how I own one of those too.

I kinda have my heart set on the Tekin Pro4/RX8 combo at the moment and I'm 99.99% sure that's what I'm going to get. My bank account doesn't really like that, but it can just go ahead and shut right on up. Where I'm at there's really no tracks, except for one little almost makeshift track at the Kawasaki/oh hey we got Traxxas too shop, so I don't really think I'm going to be actually racing with it, but I'd like to show my friend's E-Revo that it ain't so big and bad.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-04-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    this is with all do respect to everyone i might offend i have run alot of different thing off of a castle bec light winch dual servos and never had a problem and when i say dual servos im not talking about traxxas either .the only people that seem to have problem is people with savox and other nock off servos . yes i run over priced servos in some of my truck (aka jr and spectrum ) but i have tons of power and no glitching or black ,brown or blue outs . back to the topic best motor really depends on you im a basher and a show off i run all castle . but for racing hands down tekin is the way to go . alot of racer come into the store and not one has anything bad to say about there tekin stuff
    No offense at all. The savox was just an example. They both did it on a Futaba S9351 and a Hitech HS-7940TH, neither of which is a cheap knock off servo. There was no problem at all with the stock servo or after I added the Castle 10amp BEC. The Tekin will run the same servos with no BEC. Glad your personal experieces were better than mine. Had I not had the servo issues I might still be up in the air over the switch. I inqured several places myself to see what others were getting and one of the answers I got was the same as yours, to try a servo other than the Savox. I did, twice. No worries though as Im still keeping at least two of my castle motors and the MMP. Im never going above 3S so I dont need the MMM and one of the castle set ups is for my 10 YO son who will be using a stock servo.

it's tra5382x. That bar prevents the case from flexing..it's awesome
    I fall into #3 too!
    Thanks for the insight. Are the gears the same size too? I noted the gear ratio is the same 2.85/1. Would stand to reason that they are identical. Give me a reason to order it and replace the gears while Im at it!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-04-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    i had a summit with 2 jr 8711 and 24 led all off of a mmp with a 2400 out of one of my slashes it actually ran really well on 4s we all have different experiences that what bring us all here

RC Champion
    i had a summit with 2 jr 8711 and 24 led all off of a mmp with a 2400 out of one of my slashes it actually ran really well on 4s we all have different experiences that what bring us all here
    Although it shouldnt matter Im wondering if the difference of 3s and 4s had anything to do with it. I dont know what design they have for the BEC and guessing the only way I would find out would be to take a dremmel to an ESC. Its supposed to be self regulating so the input shouldnt matter but I can see that if its a not so good design that it would vary dependant on input voltage and the sag wouldnt be enough to undervolt the ESC and receiver. If I smoke one Ill certainly have some fun with it!

RC Qualifier
    i have the 2200 in my Revo-E...and...the stock diff got shredded...ERBE diff will NEVER be able to handle the power of the 2200...

don't know how strong the slash diffs are...but...i would not recommend that motor with any other diff other than the mods that are mentioned in the ERBE forum (Losi LST diffs)...

do u really need that much power in a slash?

Get the 2400 combo
    hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Thanks for the insight. Are the gears the same size too? I noted the gear ratio is the same 2.85/1. Would stand to reason that they are identical. Give me a reason to order it and replace the gears while Im at it!
    yes, you are correct. They are identical in size as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    i have the 2200 in my Revo-E...and...the stock diff got shredded...ERBE diff will NEVER be able to handle the power of the 2200...

don't know how strong the slash diffs are...but...i would not recommend that motor with any other diff other than the mods that are mentioned in the ERBE forum (Losi LST diffs)...

it has alot to do with driving style. I still have an e -revo with it's original diffs in it....it's been since the first week the 2200's hit the market some 3 plus years ago.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-04-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier

yes some of us do just like an e-revo we want the baddest truck we can build but the slash is 6 pounds and a e-revo is 10ish that makes a big difference ,and let not forget the smaller tires ,smaller axels then has less rotating mass and there is no trans mutiplying force to the diffs either

yes some of us do just like an e-revo we want the baddest truck we can build but the slash is 6 pounds and a e-revo is 10ish that makes a big difference ,and let not forget the smaller tires ,smaller axels then has less rotating mass and there is no trans mutiplying force to the diffs either
    exactly...the only issue i found with the 2200 with the stock diff was the speed and torque was makig the case flex and destroying the gears. when the updated e-revo planetaries came out, that bar that comes with the gears fixed the issue. no more exploding diffs.

Also, alot of the reason the e-revo diffs go bang is the driving style, IvVaum. i'm not trying to offend anyone, but i've seen fellow bashers and racers alike take some of the worst on throttle landings that it's no wonder they're dust. that and the constant on throttle backflips? not a good idea imo. if that's you're style, cool, the lst is a great mod, but imo...it's never been necessary for me...just my 2 cents.

RC Qualifier
    I just installed the LRP SCT sensored and LOOOOOOVE it! Buttery smooth and just as fast as the Castle I pulled out of it. Since Tekin is also sensored I vote for the Tek. I would have gotten the tek,..but it was about $60 more.

My son has a Tekin RS 17.5 in his stadium truck and that thing is sweet for the track... But it was also $250 and limited to 3s. The RX8 can power a 1/8 truck, but costs $50 more than the MMM.

I can get a MMM/3800 for well less than $200, and the MMM can be used to power up to a 1/8 vehicle if you choose. I'd say if you race (and can solder like a madman) get a Tekin, if you bash, go Castle.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    My son has a Tekin RS 17.5 in his stadium truck and that thing is sweet for the track... But it was also $250 and limited to 3s. The RX8 can power a 1/8 truck, but costs $50 more than the MMM.

I can get a MMM/3800 for well less than $200, and the MMM can be used to power up to a 1/8 vehicle if you choose. I'd say if you race (and can solder like a madman) get a Tekin, if you bash, go Castle.
    FYI: The tekin rx8 is on sale at stormer hobbbies for $169.95
    Superman don't need no seatbelt-Ali
    2x SSC SL4x4