Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Motor Upgrade options

At this moment i want to run my 1/16 revo with 1/16 summit tyres but with the stock motor/esc you have to gear down to gain more torque and decrease top speed to avoid frying the motor. What i want now is to use a motor or esc or a combination of both with 3S lipos that will allow me to keep the same torque and top speed but with the summit tyres. In simple words i need a more powerful motor that fits on the 1/16 erevo.

It would be good to know what motors could be used with the stock 1/16 revo esc that will fit my application.
    SUPERMAXX, ERBE, T-MAXX, MERV
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the stock esc is the weak point ! can barely handle the stock motor
    summit tires are pretty heavy to run 3s with

RC Qualifier
    so which one would you suggest that could be combined with the stock motor and allow me to run the summit tyres with out gearing down??
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    which esc? mamba max pro!
    but probably still have to gear down
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-03-2012 at 06:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Or shall i go with a mamba monster???? just kidding. Well the mamba max pro is 1/10 and definitely can handle the 1/16 summit tyres. Did anyone tried this before? does the stock motor operate normally with the mamba? I actually had in mind to use a 1/16 ESC. Is there anyone that could do the job?

I have checked castle creations but they only have products for 1/18. Btw how much KV is the stock 1/16 brushless motor?

Thanks a lot for help, i am still kinda new with 1/16 brushless even though i have this one for about three years.
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    stock is 4000kv go up to 1/10 scale not the other way! stock motor will work fine but there are stronger options

like my neu 1110 1/y

RC Qualifier
    WOW i am sure that picture was not there when i first saw your post....so i guess someone did tried this combination. thats amazing man i really liked it, you've got a real nice build there, do you have any vids?
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    click on the picture
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-03-2012 at 06:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    From what I've heard the got2gorc motor and rc drop in is very reliable and good, but ive never actually tried it so...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i have that combo in my other merv . very fast but you can't over gear won't handle the heat like the neu

RC Qualifier
    Ok, but don't you have to file down the drive shaft and all, to fit the neu in?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    only mods are shorten motor shaft and then grind a flat spot for the pinion grub screw

RC Qualifier
    WOOOOOOW 50togo thats insane very nice vid. you have convinced me that is an amazing combo and just forced me to add $150 to my expenses . So in the video you are running the mamba max pro ESC + New 1110 1/y?
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    except the street video that was the 6000 kv motor but the neu is faster!

RC Qualifier
    the 6000kv motor is castle creations?

do you have any videos with the mamba max pro + stock motor?
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Champion
    Here's mine running the same combo, just to get an idea of the power.

Last edited by airmaxx23; 10-03-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i took the neu out last week and ran the stock motor on 4 cell .ran 64mph before i ran out of space!

don't think your link worked

RC Qualifier
    Yeah sure make me wanna spend another $150 on the motor unfortunately there is something wrong with the link. fix it fix it
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by uninterrc View Post
    the 6000kv motor is castle creations?

do you have any videos with the mamba max pro + stock motor?
    no the 6000kv is got2gorc's combo

RC Qualifier
    can the stock motor run with 4S? is that possible?
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    not really made for it but a few runs at a time didn't even get hot. but that was with light 3.3" foam tires

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    not really made for it but a few runs at a time didn't even get hot. but that was with light 3.3" foam tires
    i guess its better to stick with 3S. hey do you have any vids of the merv with stock motor + mamba max pro ESC on 3S with summit tyres, i really want to see how much torque and how fast can it go but with proper gearing. That would be awesome i would really appreciate it if you could post some.
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    Here's mine running the same combo, just to get an idea of the power.

Hahaha that has some crazy power, how many flips does it make 3, 4????? love it. what combination is that?
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Qualifier
    50togo and airmax23 i have just another question? how is your drivetrain holding up? What do you use for shafts and differentials?
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i guess its better to stick with 3S. hey do you have any vids of the merv with stock motor + mamba max pro ESC on 3S with summit tyres, i really want to see how much torque and how fast can it go but with proper gearing. That would be awesome i would really appreciate it if you could post some.
    no video sorry .i just put it in there to do a few speed runs.the first run i hit the throttle too hard (gps showed 54mph) and cartwheeled for 50 ft then slid on the body for 50 more. that would of been a nice video! the neu is back in

i have traxxas cvds all around and airmax runs stock .i have aluminum bulkheads and shimmed diffs

RC Champion
    50togo and airmax23 i have just another question? how is your drivetrain holding up? What do you use for shafts and differentials?
    Keep in mind that I usually don't run my slipper as tight as it is in the video. I shimmed my diffs before I took i t out to drive it for the first time and I'm running the stock driveshafts and 2 - 3S packs. With my slipper set right I I havent had any drivetrain issues except for 1wore out shaft in 3.5 months or so.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    i am really surprised that the stock is so strong, i have already stripped one ring gear and twisted a center shaft. the ring gear broke due to crashes but the shaft from the 3S . i have now upgraded all cvds to GPM aluminium ones the seem to be pretty solid and hold up well with the stok setup and 3S
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Qualifier
    I run all day w my set up w retarded speeds.

I'm geared 31/50 n run 130* @ 60+mph on 2s parralel. I love these motors. Had a 6.5 wich had a little more torque but I didn't need torque.
    Last edited by Mrmerv76; 10-03-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    how do you measure your speed? Its a powerful bb motor but 4100kv and an rpm of only 30340 doesn't add up too high
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-03-2012 at 09:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmerv76 View Post
    I run all day w my set up w retarded speeds.

I'm geared 31/50 n run 130* @ 60+mph on 2s parralel. I love these motors. Had a 6.5 wich had a little more torque but I didn't need torque.
    What motor is this?

you only use 2s and can do 60mph with the summit tires? what kind of motor is that? is it 1/10?
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Qualifier
    50togo do you have a link to a shimming set for the merv differentials??
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-03-2012 at 10:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Yes i mean the part number......so the associated one will fit the merv?
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Champion
    Yes i mean the part number......so the associated one will fit the merv?
    Yes, Traxxas doesn't make a shim kit but the Associated shims are just the right size. Be sure to get 2 packs since there are only 4 in each one and you may need up to 3 shims per diff.

RC Qualifier
    It's a Reedy Sonic 6.5. It's 6680 kv 5.0 turn sensored. 540. My speed quote is based off of calculations from a chart. I could only visually show you a video of it smoking my friends JATO 3.3. Chart says 70 but there are a lot of considerations.
    http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...ison-chart.pdf
    Last edited by Mrmerv76; 10-04-2012 at 07:45 AM.
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's the free rev kv rating actual kv under a load is lower.
    I know the speed calculator on a merv is fairly accurate up to 50 over that not so. Maybe closer with a bb
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-04-2012 at 09:25 AM.

RC Qualifier
    That's cool. I want a speed gun, I have followed it in my 1:1 but that's sketchy cause I had to do it on the highway for the room. Chart said 69 w50 n 77 w45 spur. I run both with no heat issues so I figured 60 wouldn't be too boastfull. Of course I set this up with knowledge obtain from you n Jimmie. I have a vid of it smoking my buddies JATO, I'll have to post up. I've been having fun playing with the mmp tunning. You should see his face when I creep off the line then blow past him. No point in racing on my roof. Ha ha.
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Qualifier
    To sum everything up.....my question was about what esc or motor can i add to my merv to run summit tires without decreasing speed or torque.

Found out that the weak point is the esc and i was recommended the mamba max pro which is 1/10 and for sure is a good choice. Now my question is? Is there any 1/16 esc that could do the job? $150 its kinda too much, i would prefer to spend that on my flux or erevo.
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Champion
    To sum everything up.....my question was about what esc or motor can i add to my merv to run summit tires without decreasing speed or torque.

Found out that the weak point is the esc and i was recommended the mamba max pro which is 1/10 and for sure is a good choice. Now my question is? Is there any 1/16 esc that could do the job? $150 its kinda too much, i would prefer to spend that on my flux or erevo.
    If you want to use your stock motor give the Castle SV2 esc a try, they are inexpensive and will perform nicely with the stock motor. You can get them for between $60 and $70, you would be more than happy with it.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 10-04-2012 at 12:17 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Or you could try the mmp clone.
    Drive it like its Hot