RC Champion

tranny fluid help.

ok i have a 1990 RS camaro automatic V6! what tranny fuild do i need for it? i sure hope this fixes the problem.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

RC Champion
    Dexron mercon 3.....Or it should say on the dipstick.

it will say on the bottle what vehicles its good for. and if you go to or call any auto parts store they can tell you what you need. whats the problem though? are you just adding fluid? flushing? do you have a visible leak? car not shifting properly? delayed shifting? is the fluid in it all black and burnt? what?
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    No burnt or black. Stuck In first gear!! If I floor it this will force it to shift to 2nd. I can't drive it this way. I heard and read the
    Governor gear is going bad, a plastic gear with a access cover on side of the tranny! I have no idea where it is located at!
    I sure hope this is the problem I just got the car running a month ago. 1990 rs camaro V6 2.8 motor' automatic tranny
    I hope I can get it fixed soon.

RC Competitor
    The issue might simply be that the fluid is low. I've seen similar behavior with low fluid but you typically have issues getting the moving in first gear as well when it gets that low.

RC Qualifier
    You also need to check and see if it has throttle valve cable. It is cable that hooks up to the throttle body and goes down to the tranny, kinda like a kick down linkage. The tranny's behind those 2.8's were infamous for these things. The cable is auto adjusting, but when they malfunction, they stick the trans in 1st, and sometimes they will not allow them to shift at all. Also be very carefull over reving the 2.8, they will spin a rod bearing in a heart beat. What the cable does is modulate the tranny line pressure based off from throttle position. Not 100% on the camaro's if they have them or not, but it is worth checking. Do you know if the tranny is 700r4? 200r4?.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    Ok I did some checking, they do show a throttle valve cable for a 1990 camaro, with a 700r4 trans. But they do not show a 2.8l engine, the smallest they show is a 3.1l, then 5.0l, and then 5.7l. I would check that cable out, once it messes up, you very rarely can reset, you have to replace it. If you get a new one, there is a clip in the end that hooks to the throttle body, do not take it out until hooked up. It should come with intructions on how to install. Good luck.

RC Champion
    westoakmech you nailed it!! it was the TV cable the throttle valve cable came off the throttle linkage. the little green clip broke. so i used a zip tie to fasten it for the time being. and now it shifts dirves fine. i need to find this cable soon to fix the problem the right way. you are right its the 700 r4 tranny. i am in oklahoma also.and you are correct it is the 3.1 motor.

it's fixed for now. but i need a new cable.

RC Qualifier
    Congrats, you got lucky, most of the time when that adjuster messes up they are junk.

RC Champion
    Congrats on not having the 2.8 liter lol.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum