optikshell

Stampede 4X4 vs. Summit

I've been to trying to decide which truck I want... and I've landed in Traxxas territory. First, I'll list my wants/requirements that brought me here.
    • Electric
    • Great ground clearance (running in grass, off-road)
    • "Waterproof" (as much as possible)
    • 4X4

Semi-Must:
    • Brushless
    • Doesn't get stuck easily
    • Bash-friendly (I'm ok with upgrading structural parts to mitigate breakdown possibilities, but I don't want to let worry about breaking the truck stop me from having fun with it)
    • Not easily rolled

So, I'm stuck trying to decide between the Stampede 4X4 and the Summit 1/10.
    Both are 4X4, electric, and waterproof.

The summit is a little bigger, wider stance, and most importantly has a Center Ground Clearance of 4.76" (compared to the Stampede 4X4's 2.7"... 2" more clearance in the Summit). BUT... the Summit has brushed motors, and will cost ~$170 MORE than the Stampede 4X4. I could eventually put a brushless motor and ESC in the Summit... but that would add to the price difference.

I've heard that the Stampede 4X4 can be a little prone to breaking without upgrading a few select stock parts.

I won't be racing, but we all know that speed can be fun (as long as the truck doesn't discernment after reaching those high speeds). For me, going fast is fun for a few runs, but running around off-road and trying to climb / jump things will be the most (long-term) fun part. I'll probably mostly be using it outside in my yard (and in ditches, fields, some ramps and climbs), and off-road when camping. I lack experience with controlling at high speeds, so I know I'll probably slam it in to stuff if going too fast for my skill level.

Anyway, I need some further advice. Stampede 4X4 or Summit 1/10? I know there are personal biases, but please try to consider what I'd like to use it for (though I won't hold anything against the die-hard fans on either side... haha).

Thanks in advance - looking forward to joining the community!

Please watch the language, if you type something the language filter turns into *'s as you did in this post you must edit the post to remove the offending word or phrase

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 10-02-2012 at 11:10 AM.

IMO it boils down to intended use...

Summit is great for trail running and some what of a rock crawling type stuff. It is great at getting over rough terrain and big obstacles.

Stampede is more of a wide open basher and is going to be much faster and less expensive and complicated to maintain.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I think they are two very different rigs. The Summit is big and more costly to run but will be better at climbing. Having had the emaxx I sold this as it was just too big and using two battery's at a time was a pain. Also having more mass they will break more than the pede.

The Stampede is very durable and great fun. It can be slung in the boot without taking up a massive amount of space and is there for a spot of bashing/trail running when needed. The only think more durable that the pede 4x4 is the 2wd pede. But I think that is for tarmac only as on rough terrain it is hard to steer as it wheelies to much.

RC Champion
    I have a summit, emaxx, revo, mini revo, slayer, rustler, in varities of nitro and electric. there are pros and cons to every model, thats why I own what I own. Not to mentions, I have one for every member of the family to drive if they want.

I love the summit, and its plenty fast for a brushed motor!!!! Low gear if you need/want it. But jsut yesterday, I was thinking about how powerful the 775 motor is. BUT, its heavy, costly, uses 2 batteries and COOL AS HECK!!!! I can bash, I can drive anywhere, I can play in the living room climbing over kids and pillows, chase the neighbor kids around and even do it all at night with the LED lights.!

Stampede is in a TOTALLY different class. with the right set of tires and batteries, it will go just about anywhere, go as fast as you want it, cost less, fly higher, break more (cause you're flying higher of course), and wheelie easier.

I almost bought a Stampede a few years ago but I didnt like how tall it was and what I perceived to be top heavy. Like Dad said, it comes down to what you're looking to do. If you want one vehicle that will do it all, Summit. If you want a reason to buy another car in a few months because it leaves something to be desired....Stampede.

With all that said, camp grounds, ditches, yards, climbing, I think the Summit MAY fit you a bit better. Its pretty easy to control and when you "Bump into stuff", it will hold up. Its based off the E-Revo platform - TOUGH! Just remember, its all personal preference - which one do you like more? YEA, get that one!
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 10-02-2012 at 12:01 PM.

RC Competitor
    I have them both, I love them both, and I vote summit. It's just so much more versatile, the 4pede is fun to bash and speed around with, but that only goes so far. If you want to climb stuff it's a no brainer, hands down summit. Summit isn't really prone to rolling at speed, stampede is, especially until you're used to it's handling characteristics. If you want high speed, high flying fun, get a stampede. If you want to do anything outside of that, get a summit.

RC Qualifier
    I can echo rcmonkey. Had both, and the Summit is better in so many ways in off road/off grass capabilities. Even in the grass the summit is still a blast.

Don't let the fact that the Summit has a nasty old brushed motor bother you. It gives good speed for this size truck, but has that low end torque for really getting into hairy spots, and out again. You can go brushless, but to keep the smooth low end power it needs a sensored brushless setup.

And the summit is more than ' a little bit bigger'

RC Competitor
    it is a tuff call,i own both and love them both the same,summit is tuff and can crawl great,but 2 battries is a bit of a pain and in high range the go very fast and does take a bit of machnical skill to work on,the pede with axles in the rear will hold up to alot and is fast and jumps great,it can can do alot of off roading,and easy to work on,one idea is there is alot of good people on this sit,used is not a bad idea,i went with a new pede and a used summit,or flip a coin lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have a Summit... I can say there is a lot of good advice written so far!

One thing I would like to add...
    If you switch to LiPo and get a decent charging setup, the two battery concern is non-existent.
    This is because LiPo's can be charged two (or more) at a time.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Everyone has good points. I have them both as well, stangely both still in near stock form. The summit is great but it is a bit more complicated and more costly to own. However it is a great deal more capeable.

As far as use the yard bashing and just running arround the stampede will have the upperhand, the Summit will excel at more trail/crawling conditions. The summit takes two batteries but runs fine on NiMH, the VXL in the stampede works best with lipos (msot are not waterproof). The summit is about twice as big and over twice as heavy as well.

ITs really as matter of what you want. Both are very good multi-purpose RCs.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I have a Summit... I can say there is a lot of good advice written so far!

One thing I would like to add...
    If you switch to LiPo and get a decent charging setup, the two battery concern is non-existent.
    This is because LiPo's can be charged two (or more) at a time.
    That was not the issue for me. It was just using two battery's. I can get twice the runfuntime with the pede from two packs. If you want a trail runner/Crawler there are far better than the Summit IMO.

...I also find the pede is quite good for trail running too...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC View Post
    The summit takes two batteries but runs fine on NiMH, the VXL in the stampede works best with lipos (msot are not waterproof).
    LiPo's are water resistant... the cells themselves are sealed. The only concern would be water getting trapped between the cells and the shrink wrap and corroding the pack.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    If you want a trail runner/Crawler there are far better than the Summit IMO....I also find the pede is quite good for trail running too...
    Yeah, if you want a crawler buy a crawler. If you want an all around, jack of all trades master of none fun truck, you can't beat a summit. I disagree with the 4pede being good for trail running, any kind of real obstacle and it's useless, it's strictly a basher IMO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Yes but if you put dually wheels on the stampede 4x4, And raise the shocks and make them soft, Gear it low,It will crawl awsomely , haha i should know i just recently did that, BUT BEWARE the rear axles will twist so get mips or tmaxx 2.5 half shafts.

If the axles were stronger this would work, i crawled over a lot and it was so cool looking, but i only zip tied the tires together, so it wobble going fast, and the diffs slippped alot.
    Stupid 50 character Limit!!!!!