RC Qualifier

Is there a on-road tire that does'nt drift??

Just got the car last night and it's pretty fun with the stock "slicks", but is there a tire for the rally car that sticks well to the pavement??? I did get a set of HPI "nobby" tires for dirt rally'n, also want a nice set of street tires too......any suggestions?????

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    This is what I am using...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

I use the HPI X-patterns.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Peter!!! Do they hook up well???? When I order'd the HPI "nobby's", I look'd around T-hobbies and got a set of integy's for the street (cause they were like stoooopid cheap), look'd similar to the X-patterns, but after runn'n them for 3 days....bald as a baby's bum!!!!!! I'll look into the X's.....thanks for the response!!!!

RC Champion
    If you really want the car to stick, run foam tires. That's what I use when I run on smooth pavement.

RC Qualifier
    Can you point me in the right direction Rob???

Google "gone bananas racing".
    He will make foams to your specifications on your rim.

RC Qualifier
    ****!!! Again Jimmie, your tha man!!!! But being a "newbie" at this rally car addiction, what do I want???? I did hit the dirt with it today, I have a figure 8 track in my back yard.....bank'd turns, a step up, a triple, and of course a over 'n' under. The rally did really well, but the nose of the body would dig in on the landings (need to set the body posts a lil higher) but all in all it did super!!! Love'n it!!!! And my 13yo son had a blast with it too, he usually runs a 4x4 Slash.

You might fair pretty well with some pin tires...
    But I'm not sure any are made in the right sizes for a Rally.

RC Qualifier
    I have a set of the HPI "nobby" tires and they seem'd to work well on the dirt track.
    rc10T3, TT Sparrowhawk XXB, Slash 4x4, 1/16 Rally

RC Champion
    I've been running nitro 4-tec tires with good results as well as X-patterns and slicks.. when running the faster setups on my car (brushless) I also run foams as long as the road or track is clean.. I really like the foams and run them on all my brushless touring cars as well as my Nitro 4tec..Non of these tires balloon on my car or any of my faster touring cars and I don't tape the tires.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Racer
    I have HPI racing slicks and they don't drift one bit. Problem is if you turn too fast the car flips over. I'm actually looking to get tires that drift a little more. I have hard plastic ones and the HPI racing slicks but need something half way between those. Maybe I'll just get some stock tires (I sold the stock tires right away and never actually ran with them).

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys!!! I really appreciate the help!!! ik632, don't fret about sell'n the stockers......they have no grip @ all and would "drift/spin" with any kind of throttle (although I did give them to a buddy who has a merv with a gravedigger body and it was FUNNY as **** watch'n it drift!!!!) I did get some of the X-patterns and they do hook up well, also just got a set of the HPI Super Radials......have'nt tried them out yet, but they DO look good!!!!

RC Qualifier
    And forgot.....Cenracer1, I'll look into the 4-tec tires too....thanks for the reply!!!

RC Racer
    The LHS has a set of mounted 4tec tires but I think they were $60 so I wasn't sure about trying them. I really want something between the super sticky and drift tires. Just a little slide would be better than flipping every time you turned too fast.

RC Champion
    I run those cheapy tires from fleebay from china for like 3 bucks a pair..not the best but give u decent grip..and they last ok.

RC Qualifier
    Ok....a quick update, went down to the local track (rattlesnake.com) and ran on the "dirt oval".....it was once dirt, but it's been treated with a "sealent" and it's super sticky!!!! Went out with the HPI X's 1st....would not hook up. Swap'd to the HPI Super Radials...would not hook up. Swap'd to the HPI "nobby" tires and it was awesome!!!!! But, it tore them up!!!! Not so "nobby" now!!! Soooooo..... I'll be order'n some foams soon!!!!! But all in all it was fun time!!!! Took a 2nd run'n against 7 others.... 3 slash's (1 was bad to the bone, lcg chassis and everything, he took 1st), 1 Merv, 1 Rusty (with a 3s), 1 lil Losi 2wd buggy, and a Pede.

RC Qualifier
    In addition to using aftermarket tires, I also opted for adjustable suspension links. The setup gives you the ability to change the handling characteristics of the car completely!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by aburg2; 10-19-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added pics, eliminated links
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Qualifier
    Here is a pic of my boy's Rally with on-road tires.

[IMG][/IMG]

Adjustable links are not required to adjust the angle of the tire to the surface, but they do make it easier!

Adjusting both pillow balls will change toe.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Adjustable links are not required to adjust the angle of the tire to the surface, but they do make it easier!

Adjusting both pillow balls will change toe.
    Adjusting the pillow balls made me want to pull my hair out! What's left of it...
    With the adjustable links, I like being able to adjust the shock pushrod too.