RC Enthusiast

Must have upgrades

I am going to buy my son his first car and going with a Slash. I am sure he is going to drive it into everything. I know for the most part the truck is fairly bulletproof. What items should I look at to make it a little stronger?

RC Enthusiast
    Brushless motor and aluminum shock caps.

RC Champion
    I personally have replaced broken parts with RPM stuff. A arms, bumpers etc.

When the shock shafts bent I replaced with the harden steel Titanium Nitride coated shafts, then the big bore shocks.

Also when the slip axles got worn out I used the 4 wd rear slip axles and associated parts.

My grandsons have put many rc cars/trucks to the ultimate test and the Slash has proven to be the best for them and fewest repairs for me
    Last edited by orca44; 10-03-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added content
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Originally, I was looking at the Stampede 4x4or Slash 4x4 but, I chose the Slash because I would like take it racing every now and then. It will be his truck but I will borrow it every so often. . I plan on going with the brushless version and thanks for the upgrades.

RC Racer
    I would go with Al shocks, caps, Caster blocks, Front Knuckles, Rear Hub carriers, and shock towers. I had tons of trouble with the shocks blowing apart. I'd change them ASAP. As for the rest, just change as parts break. STRC and Dynamite are the ones that I know for a fact take the punishment very well. If you have trouble with heat, an Al tranny case will help. New Era's TER650V is the one I have, reduced temps over 10 degrees easily.

Honestly I don't break stuff so I would say your fine. You'll be very happy with the purchase.
    And if stuff breaks buy replacements
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Having just gone through the whole noob thing I can say in retrospect the Number 1 upgrade, that I should of made first, tyres.

Following that check this great thread out over at URC http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128946

You really can't go that wrong with whats on that list for and the advice above. The one thing I would urge is really take account of what purpose (bash/race) and where (grass, road, dirt, sand) you are using the car and plan your upgrades around that.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the info everyone!

Tachikoma, I was reading that ultimaterc thread and it makes me want to get a slash of my own. I might have to find a roller and build it the way I want it.

RC Racer
    I'm really loving my slash - great fun, of course it needs upgrades, so what. Isn't that why the majority of us do this?

Just done the JANG wide mod on mine and its made such a difference, gonna widen the rear to and maybe switch to 2.8". Sorry.....getting carried away
    Last edited by tachikoma1373; 10-04-2012 at 07:00 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Stop it your killing me. Right now I'm converting a Nitro Revo to brushless but I don't know the Slash seems like its more fun

RC Enthusiast
    i was think the same think URC and there is a vid of how to improve the slash just by some simple tuning too

RC poster
    I purchased my Slash VXL on the 1st Septmber. Its be very very fun rc. Since this date I have broken front steering knuckles (Ran into a bb pole at full speed). I have bent two Rear suspension rods (I think I am going to upgrade to big bore suspension). I have broken rear A arm and rear steering block.(Ran into a tree at full speed). Aswell as these I am mentioning I have bashed my Traxxas like CRAZY. Its been beaten up and treated very badly and these are the only things i have broken LOL.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a feeling my son is going to do the same thing. Does the Slash VXL have the training mode?

Quote Originally Posted by SlashVXL2012 View Post
    I purchased my Slash VXL on the 1st Septmber. Its be very very fun rc. Since this date I have broken front steering knuckles (Ran into a bb pole at full speed). I have bent two Rear suspension rods (I think I am going to upgrade to big bore suspension). I have broken rear A arm and rear steering block.(Ran into a tree at full speed). Aswell as these I am mentioning I have bashed my Traxxas like CRAZY. Its been beaten up and treated very badly and these are the only things i have broken LOL.

RC Competitor
    Yes, there's a training mode. Page 17 on my 2wd VXL manual.

RC Enthusiast
    Get the boxes sent to you neighbors house...............Stealth Slash...............

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tachikoma1373 View Post
    I'm really loving my slash - great fun, of course it needs upgrades, so what. Isn't that why the majority of us do this?

Just done the JANG wide mod on mine and its made such a difference, gonna widen the rear to and maybe switch to 2.8". Sorry.....getting carried away
    What ways did doing the jang help? Handling? Will widening the rear help in handling too?

RC Racer
    I haven't broken anything on my Slash since my last upgrade 6-7 months ago and I punish mine. Parts that broke in the first 3-4 months and were replaced with stronger parts (#1-5).

Must haves for serious bashing:
    1. Front caster blocks, TRX aluminum.
    2. Rear bearing carriers, TRX aluminum.
    3. Shock caps, TRX aluminum (I needed new bladders also so they didn't leak).
    4. Shock shafts, Titanium nitride / hardened.
    5. Hinge pins (front and rear), STRC locking pins.

I would also recommend a RPM front bumper/skid.

If you find that you are constantly adjusting your steering trim, I recommend a Kimbrough servo saver to replace the weak stock unit. It won't slip like the stock saver. Some say it is too strong for the Traxxas servo, but I haven't broken my servo gears yet and it has slipped from time to time just like it should but I don't have to keep adjusting my steering 20 times every time I drive my Slash. Put one on my son's Stampede also without breaking gear teeth.

RC Champion
    What may I ask is a "jang" upgrade?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Champion
    SR-71....I also like the STRC caster blocks and front and rear bearing carriers. Thoes STRC locking hinge pins are also a great upgrade....They don't back out and I have not bent one (front or rear) since installing them in both of my Slashes.
    They also seem to stay debris free longer......

I just use the Proline shocks instead of the Big bore due to shock spring selection....

I also have upgraded to the Slash 4x4 heavy duty slip axles when the stock ones wore out.
    Last edited by orca44; 10-05-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added content
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    I went with Lunsford Ti pins. I loved the lifetime guarantee against bending or breaking. I've never had trouble with 1 popping out.

RC Racer
    The JANG Wide Mod for the Traxxas Rustler & Slash

"....this mod is a simple and inexpensive way to add a significant amount of width to the front end of your custom Traxxas Rustler or wildly modified Traxxas Slash-based stadium or monster truck project. The widened track, about 1.5" beyond stock, dramatically improves the stability of the truck, improves steering, and lets you run identical wheels at all four corners. Pair it with the use of front wheels all around or other wide-offset rims, and you end up with a vehicle that handles completely differently! For owners of multiple vehicles or a handful of spare parts, you may find that you can do this mod at zero cost!"

Having done this mod I swiched to stampede/Rustler arms on the rear as well - I wanted extra travel for bigger jumps and looks.
    Here's a pic with thew lid off:

And here's one with the lid on:

There is some body rubbing currently but thats just because I haven't increased the mount height at the front and I'm still tuning the suspension as its a little soft still.

Whilst only running sc trenchers at present my nexty purchase will almost certainly be a 2.8" wheel/tyre combo - probably proline badlands.