RC Racer

Question charger vs cooker

I don't know if this has been asked before because I'm on my phone and the search thing works yummy but any ways I noticed in the "making lipos last section" that someone asked the difference between a cooker and a charger and since I'm in the market for a new charger I to was curious know I know everyone has their opinion but can someone explain the difference between the two please. And if possible recommend a good charger without taking out a second mortgage?

RC Qualifier
    Only cooker I know of would be used in the kitchen. As for a lipo charger, I suggest the thunder ac6 or ac680. Both are cheap, like 40-60 bucks and both do the job. Not the fastest chargers and cap out 5A for the ac6 and 6A for the ac680.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

I learned this lesson the hard way. IMO you get what you pay for with chargers and I spent a lot of $$$ trying to save a buck or two buying inexpensive chargers that either failed prematurely or did not perform well and false peaked or over charged my packs. I dont think you need the top of the line but fell you should buy the best your budget will allow. Most chargers in the $100 to $200 range will treat your packs well and last long enough to get your monies worth out of them. I had very good luck with a Hyperion EOS 0606I but recently traded it for a ThunderPower 610C charger which is doing very well for me now.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Without getting super technical on wavelengths, frequencies, and cycles... Dad nailed it.
    The cheaper chargers do not have the technology to be gentle with your packs.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I too learned the hard way. I too bought a cheaper charger lasted two charges and internal power supply went. Then bought same spec more expensive charger, another mistake although it is good and accurate and still works great. It was lacking the power of what i wanted.So know i have went over kill with a charger and glad i did.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by deerhurst View Post
    Only cooker I know of would be used in the kitchen. As for a lipo charger, I suggest the thunder ac6 or ac680. Both are cheap, like 40-60 bucks and both do the job. Not the fastest chargers and cap out 5A for the ac6 and 6A for the ac680.

The above chargers are the very reason I coined the phrase "$50 battery cooker." Yep, that was me.
    Nobody who has moved past the bare-bones chargers would ever go back to them. There is a reason for that, which is "Good enough" really isn't.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

Quote Originally Posted by deerhurst View Post

So, you only use your charger in the kitchen?

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist!

The Thunder ac6 and ac680 are both notorious battery cookers.

Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    I too learned the hard way. I too bought a cheaper charger lasted two charges and internal power supply went. Then bought same spec more expensive charger, another mistake although it is good and accurate and still works great. It was lacking the power of what i wanted.So know i have went over kill with a charger and glad i did.
    PERFECT example to prove that it is cheaper to buy a more expensive, decent charger first!!

Thanks for posting... hopefully this will help others realize that going cheap is not always cheap.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    So, you only use your charger in the kitchen?

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist!

The Thunder ac6 and ac680 are both notorious battery cookers.
    Yeah, works kinda like a George Forman grill.

Haven't had an issue in the 3 years I've owned my AC6. Charger gets a little warm though.

RC Qualifier
    What you think about the Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus 6amp Charger (#2933)?
    Issues with it? Cooker or charger?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DBG View Post
    What you think about the Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus 6amp Charger (#2933)?
    Issues with it? Cooker or charger?
    I got one of the first ones from Traxxas when they first came out. I've not had a single issue with it. Charged both NiMH's and Lipo's. I have both the 2 and 3s multiple charger connections as well. They have worked fine. It is not a fast charger by any means, but I'd say it's very reliable from my experience. Due to the amount of enjoyment my son and I get out of RC's, I'm going to step up to a bigger, faster charger for xmas.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

Quote Originally Posted by EmaxxChris View Post
    I got one of the first ones from Traxxas when they first came out. I've not had a single issue with it. Charged both NiMH's and Lipo's. I have both the 2 and 3s multiple charger connections as well. They have worked fine. It is not a fast charger by any means, but I'd say it's very reliable from my experience. Due to the amount of enjoyment my son and I get out of RC's, I'm going to step up to a bigger, faster charger for xmas.
    The issue with cheaper chargers isn't so much that they stop working pre-maturely in most cases. The real problem is how they treat your batteries.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Right on!! Take the advice from us guys that have learned the hard way. This is one of those areas you get what you pay for. I went through a handful of chargers and $$ down the drain. Months back I took some great advice from these guys above and purchased a Powerlab-6. Oh boy what a difference it makes in so many ways. I feel if you plan on staying with the hobby it will payoff in the long run. As a backup & to take along on trips I have a Dynamite Passport Ultra.

I do have the perfect paperweigh to hold down my schematics, Thunder-AC6. About what its good for.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

cmdrcdy deserves a gold star for starting this thread!
    Now when someone asks "what charger" and a bunch of responses are "this cheap one works great" I can direct them here. lol

I got a $50 Battery Cooker!!! My ac6 worked fine for about 1 yr and then for some reason when i went on a trip in the mountains it never worked the same again. charging a 2s lipo 1 cell will charge at around 4.16-18 only tops and the other will charge at 4.20-22 not good. its not the packs as it does it with 4 different lipos now. i tried my psu even on dc and still the same. I wanted to get the Icharger but looks like i will have to wait for a long while now but i can tell you this thread will help alot of people seeking a cheap charger and to know the good one's
    DEU 8:18 ESV

So is the Thunderpower 610c a "cheap" charger? Cooker? I am confused, what are the specific things to look for in a charger that make it good, besides the price?
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    So is the Thunderpower 610c a "cheap" charger? Cooker? I am confused, what are the specific things to look for in a charger that make it good, besides the price?
    No you are confusing it with a charger with a similar name. I use the 610c it is not top of the line but a mid range "charger" not a cooker.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    What makes the charger good is not solely dependant on the price tag. The specific things in a charger that make it good are the things you are reading on this thread.... User experience based reviews. Sure you could drop a grand on a well known brand named charger and should be able to count on the fact that it would treat your lipos well, unfortunately in the "average affordability" range it becomes a very grey area, so you need to do exactly what you are doing right now - research. A well known brand name (no knock-offs or clones) that offers technical support and good customer service will also go a long way when buying a charger. Any company that offers weak or no customer service doesnt believe in their product, so neither should you. Take a look at the "post your charging setup" thread here in the alley, it has some very good info and user reviews.

I have a Thunder Power RC TP820CD dual port charger and ProTek R/C Super Pro 1000 watt power supply now and its just plain awesome (and overkill) but was pretty steep in price at just under $700 after shipping, but the first decent lipo charger i purchased was the Venom pro charger plus. I still use the venom charger very often when i take my p2de to work with me and it continues to be a very reliable unit that has never mistreated any of my lipos. When i bought the venom way back it was $220+ but now they sell for about half that. Good luck!

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

And yet if one is handy and lucky, one can get the same or very similar capability for $300 or less.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

I have the 610c now, before I had a cheapy balance charger and was pretty happy with it charging my cheap lipos. Now though I have decided to see what all the spc hype is about so I have two of their 2s lipos, but don't want to take a chance using a crappy charger.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    How do you guys feel about a Venom pro charger?
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

I think EL Sob has one. Pm him
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by devildog88 View Post
    limited power output has had a few improvements so far i hear its hit and miss. For the price i would pick up a Icharger 106B or higher for just 89 shipped. you do need a power supply but same with the venom charger your talking about yet you have 10amps with the 106B.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by devildog88 View Post
    The "Venom pro charger plus" is a very decent charger, i still have mine and use it often. They are an ac/dc charger which means they come with a power supply included. They sell for around $130.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...the-HR-P2de-XL...
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone has experience with Hobbico's Accu-cycle Elite charger?

No experience, but if I am reading the spec sheet right; it looks to be a very expensive (~$140) twin 2 amp charger.
    You can get a whole lot more charger for the same amount of money!

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...hcap0280m.html

From what I can tell, this charger has been out (and not changed) since 2004. That makes the technology within 8 years old... which is very outdated for as fast as technology improves.

I do not see any balance charging features either...
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 12-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.

RC Racer
    My Grand-pappy once told me.
    "Son, it's like shopping for a Motorcycle Helmet. ...Do you have a $50 head, or a $300 head."

RC Qualifier
    Gotcha. Thanks Jimmie! iChargers seem to be getting alot of good props. I'll try to find one that I don't have to ship across the border.

I love iChargers... not just because I own one, but because of the 6-8 months of research I performed before I bought one. lol
    But, I will admit that they are not the only good charger company out there... Revolectrix is another good brand and I am sure there are others that are top of the line without the top of the line price tag.