RC poster

Question about gearing and overheating

I bought a Slash 4x4 for my son with Mamba Max Pro 1406 with a 2s 5000, beyond that it pretty much stock.
    My question is about gears and heat, we run in the sand at the beach with sand paddles and a gear ratio of 19 pinion to 54 spur. I noticed the motor casing and wires get extremely hot and the other day the truck would randomly stop working and then 30 sec later take off. Is this an overheating issue and could it be related to my higher pinion gear?

PS. Does any else run in the sand eat gears, is there anything I can do to help?

RC Champion
    If its shutting down then going again and its getting hot that is the ESC cutting out on thermal overload.
    Which 1406 motor are you running? Most likely you are over geared as the 1406 motors are not the best castle has to offer and are not rated for the 4x4 at all and limited gearing in the 2wd slash for the 4600 and 5700. The 4600 in the 2wd is 18T max pinion with a 90T spur and the 5700 is 16T max with a 90T spur but again thats in the 2WD. The Mamba Max Pro is fine for the application, just make sure its not the sidewinder SV2 that is normally whats sold as a combo with this. Minimum Castle solution for the 4x4 is the sidewinder SCT with a 1410 3800kV motor on 2s only and geared at 16/64 max. Most popular solution is the Mamba Max Pro with the 1415 2400Kv motor that can be run on 3s or 4s and geared all the way to 24/50 with a close eye on the temps. If you are going to run 2s only or the stock Nimh packs then the best solution is the MMP/1410 combo or the Traxas Velineon.

Bottom line is that ESC/motor combo isnt going to work for the 4x4

As for eating gears thats normally a result of a bad gear mesh. Its normal the plastic gears to wear down over time but if you are eating them to fast then its a bad mesh. Too tight will eat the slipper shaft adaptor and bearing and ultimately cause it to be loose and eat the spur gear, this is very common on the 4x4 and most replace the stock plastic slipper shaft adaptor with aluminum. Too loose and it will just eat the spur gear. Mesh should be set by putting a piece of notebook paper bewtween the gears the push them tight and tighten down the motor mount and remove the paper. If its too tight you will note an elevated noise from the gears.

RC poster
    Its the MBX Pro 5700Kv with the 1406. What gearing would you recommend, keep in mind its for my 3 year old who doesn't really care if its going super fast. Honestly he just wants to see it run as long as possible.

RC Champion
    As low on the pinion as you can find. A 12T is usually readily available. This will slow it down quite a bit but dont be suprised if you still have temp issues. Like I said this combo is not rated for the 4x4 at all and sand is a high drag surface that will add load to the motor and ESC only making it worse.

Here is the link to castles gearing chart, note that under 4x4 the 5700 is not listed, it just cant handle the load. Kind of like trying to run a ford F250 4x4 on a fiesta engine.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ring_chart.pdf

RC poster
    I saw that on the site and was bummed. Honestly I bought it this way and didn't know. Oh well, I can get another motor or gear it down and see what happens. Would it help getting a fan for the motor or is that just a band aid on gushing wound?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattox_4x4 View Post
    I saw that on the site and was bummed. Honestly I bought it this way and didn't know. Oh well, I can get another motor or gear it down and see what happens. Would it help getting a fan for the motor or is that just a band aid on gushing wound?
    it's more of a band aid. the problem with fans are they just cool the surface of the motor. i much prefer heatsinks which help draw out the heat and dissapate it. you might try a heatsink, but in the end the whole issue is weight. it's just too heavy for that motor.

you know what though? i think DadX2mj (he's a moderator) runs that in his stampede 4x4 and swears he can make it run cool. you might hit him up with a pm and see how he's geared. if anyone can make it work, he'll know how.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 10-03-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

Yes I have run that 5700 4 pole in my Stampede 4x4. I switch back and forth between it and my 3800kv because I cant make up my mind which I like better. I think you are way over geared for running paddles in sand. I would look at something more like 12/54 gearing. Paddles in sand I would think put a big load on the motor.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    I got a fan and have a 13/54, we will see how it goes (the shop didn't have any 12t). Thanks for the help.

RC Champion
    The 13/54 and fan will certainly help. Do you have the castle link for the ESC?
    You can also go into the ESC programming with a PC and the castle link and knock back the motor timing advance to 0 from the default 10% and that will cool it down some too. There are a few other tweeks in there as well. Let me know if you have it or want to get it, you can ususally find them used for like $15 or new is like $22. I will be more than happy to help.

RC poster
    I do have the Castle ESC with it, problem is I'm a Mac guy and the program only works on a PC. I can use my Dad's this weekend to change the timing. I was going that route after ready the Castle program guide.

Any other pointers to get the heat down? Also, I would like push the speed down a bit for my son while he is learning to drive it any suggestions with ESC?

RC Qualifier
    gear down more go to a 9 or 10 that will help which paddles are you running ,

RC poster
    Proline Sling Shot for the rear only