RC Racer

Question Pro Line bead locks + non pro line tires?

Has anyone tried running non pro line tires with their bead locks? What brands hold better, etc?

RC Qualifier
    El sob has used duratrax bandito, and it looks sweet

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ito-SC-tire!!!
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Champion
    El Sob isnt running Proline bead locks.

Easy answer is the only company I have found that makes tires good for mounting on bead locks is Proline. If you compare the bead contruction on the tires the prolines have an inner lip that rests against the outer edge of the rim and the bead folds over the lip on the rim. You can feel it snap into position when installing the tires. Ive compared JConcepts and a set of AKA tires and neither has this feature. Will the other tires mount? Well yes, but the question is will they hold on the bead lock.

I am running Proline beadlocks on my other truck. Other brands of tires do fit but like Justin stated, hey don't snap in. I have had plenty of different tires that weren't Proline work very well with their beadlocks. Traxxas, Duratrax and Dynamite to name a few.

RC Racer
    I've only run proline tires on the split six beadlock , but I've heard that blitz tires won't hold. Just wondering what my other options were.

RC Qualifier
    Back to topic,

I just ordered proline split six beadloc and proline switch tires. Hopefully the tires stay on the rims and don't wear as quickly as my trenchers.

RC Qualifier
    The really nice change over glued tires working with CA, no more glue on fingers. The tires stay put on he beadloc, I know you are running 4s so not sure how well they will relate to those, I have no issues with them on 3s
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Qualifier
    I'm more so looking forward to being able to switch tires once they wear out, without having to buy new wheels.

I really am not fond of the red rings though... Has anyone painted theirs, or know when I could get a set in black, or raw aluminum? Assuming the rings are made from aluminum right?

RC Champion
    Staying on topic and ignoring the other post...
    STRC sells aluminum rings in several different colors, I got a set of gunmetal. The prolines are steel. Proline has them in black, just have to watch what you order and from where. Im going to paint the black ones so Ill let you know how it comes out. I just like a contrast in color there. All black looks pretty drab IMO but some like it.

Also if you are running the bead locks on high power systems be sure to add a bead of clear silicone on the tire beads during installation then let it cure for 24 hours before running. This will make sure they stay on the wheel. Still easy to get off and a little silicone remover before putting on new rubber.

Gentlemen this thread has seem some clean up so let's leave the bickering and head butting out of the conversation please. Keep your comments polite , constructive , and on topic. Any more bickering and warning points will be issued.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    The idea of the beadloc is to cleanly change tires on the beadloc without worrying about cleaning a foreign object off. You will feel the tire sit in the bead and hear the wheel click in once assembled. I can't speack to it 4s, on 3s they are rock solid. Anyone using beadlocs on 4s please chime in
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

Do all SC tires have the same bead?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Do all SC tires have the same bead?
    No they dont. Thats what we were discussing on how the prolines mount on proline bead locks Its different from the others I have had anyhow. proline has what can almost be described as an inner bead. Ive got a new set of badlands still in the bag and not mounted, Ill see if I can take a pic and show what Im talking about. Either way that "inner bead rests against the rim while the bead itself folds over the top then clicks down onto the bead surface. Im going to be doing some tire change outs probably Saturday and ill try and snap some shots of the progess that will show the difference even more.

Edit, pics added

Front bead normal shot through the back of the tire and flipped insided out for a better view.

Last edited by JustinThyme; 10-03-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Oops, I missed your earlier post mentioning that.

Now that proline is discontinuing their bead-loc wheels, will they stop producing tires made for the wheels?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabun View Post
    I'm more so looking forward to being able to switch tires once they wear out, without having to buy new wheels.

I really am not fond of the red rings though... Has anyone painted theirs, or know when I could get a set in black, or raw aluminum? Assuming the rings are made from aluminum right?
    Here is a pic of the black steel proline ring I took off and the STRC gunmetal aluminum I mounted. I havent painted the prolines yet but it shouldn't be too much of an issue getting paint to stick on steel. Already picked up some blue metalic paint from autozone. I have heard of people soaking then in paint stipper and clear coating them to get a shiny bare metal look.

RC Champion
    I read your post about what your LHS said. Thats a new one on me. They are still very available from many retailers. They may discontinue a specific line of bead locks from time to time but I dont see them stopping production completely. I know they discontinued the Titus bead locks for rock crawlers not long ago and chapped some people. Usually when this is done its because there isnt enough demand for a particular product. SC trucks are one of the highest demand line there is. Right now they have 6 different choices in two different styles in just the SC truck line. Renegades standard and protrac, black ring or red ring. Then the split six in back ring or red ring. These are readily available at several of the larger online RC stores. I just ordered up 3 sets of the renegades for protrac last Friday. They will be here Friday along with a sack full of tires too so Im going to be busy Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgb007 View Post
    The idea of the beadloc is to cleanly change tires on the beadloc without worrying about cleaning a foreign object off. You will feel the tire sit in the bead and hear the wheel click in once assembled. I can't speack to it 4s, on 3s they are rock solid. Anyone using beadlocs on 4s please chime in
    I have non Proline tires that stay on the Proline beadlocks on 4s. I have had great lock with my Proline and my aluminum beadlock wheels for not loosing tires. My best advice for anyone using the Proline beadlock wheels is to not over tighten the rings. I have lost tires but it doesn't happen often.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    El Sob has a good point there. I have heard of more than one person stripping out the wheels by torquing down too much on the ring retaining screws. I have seen one mod where brass inserts were put in the wheel with parts bought from Grainger. Personally Ive never run a tire of the rim but have seen where others have. I use the method that proline recommends of putting a bead of silicone around the front and rear during assembly and leaving the silicone to cure for 24 hours before running.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the pics Justin, I very anxious to get my beadlocs today or tomorrow

RC Champion
    Sure thing!
    These ones pictured are the stock offeset split six. I have 3 sets of them then went to the "protrac spec" TRCE long arm suspension that extends the A arms by 1/2" each and increases forward acceleration, dampens torque steering, increases stability and really shines in cornering. It can run just fine as is but the body either needs to be modified or raised to avoid the tires rubbing with the shocks fully compressed. It also takes it out of the ROAR legal width. So I too am anxiously awaiting the new protrac offset bead locks I ordered up. 3 full sets, two of the renegade and one of the split six. Got them different just to keep a particular set for a particular set of tires as I mentioned in another post I like keeping 3 sets for different surfaces. Mine will be in tomorrow along with 3 sets of new tires and a good bit of other odds and ends. Amain is liking me enough that Ive already earned the store credit twice though their point system. They are a little over on some items but the free shipping makes up for it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Hey, I'm going to be ordering some STRC beadlocks soon and I just saw these. The colors from other pictures I see vary,(I've seen some chrome ones that they call silver) are these the silver ones or the pewter? I need them to match a silver & gun metal body I'm doing soon.

RC Qualifier
    They make gun metal & silver rings on strc's website
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    Hey, I'm going to be ordering some STRC beadlocks soon and I just saw these. The colors from other pictures I see vary,(I've seen some chrome ones that they call silver) are these the silver ones or the pewter? I need them to match a silver & gun metal body I'm doing soon.
    Those would be the gunmetal

RC Qualifier
    OK cool. I know they make both colors, I just didn't know which one would look better with my body. These will work

Here is a picture of Traxxas tires on Proline beadlocks! They did quite well
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC poster
    Those beadlocks look really good.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-05-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Content

RC Champion
    http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/t...th-buying.html
    If I get in trouble for postin something from a competitive web site sorry But this link holds all the answers to fixing stripped Pro-Line bead locks.Just ordered new bead locks and inserts so I will find out how it works.

RC Champion
    Thats probably where I saw it at. I quit posting over there due to too much riff raff. Very small forum with a very small member base and after I got in about 50 posts I found out why. Too many cyber bullies that instead of taking in what others have to say and learing from it go out of their way to try and prove eachother wrong. No where near as friendly as it is here!

RC Racer
    so,you guys race with these or just bash...just curious

RC Champion
    Race and bash. I use beadlocks exclusively on not only my slashes but my ERBEs. Do they cost more upfront, well yes they do but in the end if you plan on sticking with the hobby you will need new tires eventually. No matter which method you use for glued tire removal it degrades the plastic and its a pain. For beadlocks there is no glue involved and you can change out a set of tires in 30 minutes if you have lunch while you are at it. I can do 5 mins a tire with a power screwdriver and a good bit of that time is cleaning the new beads and running a thin bead of silicone around the beads during assembly. With glued you wont have the old tires off in 30 minutes no matter how you go about doing it. Then you have to clean the glue residue, mount and glue the new ones. It consumes the better part of a day.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-02-2013 at 08:10 AM.