RC Qualifier

worst physical accident?

i thought this would be fun, but by all means if this becomes too much of a problem, mods feel free to delete----anyways i figured everyone could post the worst accident they have ever encountered. i have been in two accidents that are pretty even on the down side.... when i was 4 i was jumping from bed to bed in our hotel room, i fell short and hit my head on the metal bed frame, ripping part of my lip off- and thats not the worst part, in the hospital a nurse had me consume cocaine! it really messed me up, they had the paddles in the room along with sevral other things of equipment... and when everything was all said and done, they tried to charge us for the cocaine!!!!!!!!!! another accident was when i was bmx'ing, long story short my handle bars ended up spinning arround and i happened to be launched forward while the end of the handle bar was facing towards me, the handle bar went through my leg..... after my leg was stitched up the doctor said i was very lucky, that the handle bar was milimeters away from hitting the artery in my leg...

thats my story- lets hear some of yours

P.S. really sick, not really thinking straight, so if there are any spelling or grammer error's thats why
    Last edited by i killed kenny; 10-02-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: had to fix stuff
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Racer
    I was popping wheelies on my old dirtbike and my left leg slipped and the peg went into my knee....
    EMBE build in progress!

RC poster
    I was unloading a manlift (cherrypicker) off a float at work. Tried to raise the arm up and it was hooked on the float. Tried to boom it down and it released from the float sending me through the air landing on my left knee. Tore my acl , acl, meniscus, and fractured the tibila and fermur plateaus. Had second operation on my knee and still recovering.....I don't advise anyboby trying this.....!!

RC Champion
    A funny one is a few years ago I ha my gf over and I was making us grilled cheese. She got my attention while I was cuttin and I chopped my finger lol. 8 stitches

RC Qualifier
    wow guys.... seems like those hurt bad....

RC Champion
    Ouch guys! This thread makes me feel like a girl. I dislocated my arm when I was probably about 3 or 4. My dad was holding my hand as we were walking to the car. We passed a vending machine and I wanted cookies. I started pulling toward the vending machine and then I picked my feet up off the floor and my arm just popped out. The second worst was a couple of years ago. I walked home from school (1 mile and it was 90F outside) and when I got home, I laid on the nice wooden coffee table because it was cold compared to the couch. My sister yelled at me to get off the table. I didn't listen so she threw me on the floor. I had a pencil in my pocket pointing with the tip up. A good 3/4" of pencil jammed into my arm and broke off. The worst part was the next 3 hours of sitting at the kitchen table while my dad tried to dig it out with tweezers. The third and final... and definitely the one that hurt the most was when I was using concentrated phosphoric acid (industrial stuff... not some off the shelf CLR or anything) to clean a sheet of aluminum. I was scrubbing the aluminum with my hand wrapped around the handle of a brush. I somehow dragged my pointer finger knuckle down the side of the sheet of aluminum, cutting a big flap of skin. The acid got in the cut and it burned like something I've never felt before. My natural reaction was to grab that finger and hold pressure on it. The only problem there was that the blood dried so that my hand and that flap of skin were stuck together so it was tearing the skin as I tried to get my hands apart.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

Two come to mind...

When I was 13 we lived in Colorado, I owned a dirt bike and across the street from our house was a field that lead to a vast wilderness full of trails. One day we found a new trail and I was doing about 50 mph on what looked like a small rolling hill, as I topped the hill I came to find out it was a nearly vertical drop of about 100'. Long story short I had three crushed vertebra.

Many years later my Dad and I were co owners of a Bowling Alley with a very lively bar in a very bad area of town. Late one night as we were closing the bar a good customer came in saying 4 gang bangers had broken into his car and were outside in their car trying to start it but it would not start. I ran out to try and get their license plate #. The driver saw me and said "if this thing starts you are a dead man" and almost as if on command the old Dodge station wagon came to life. I ran up onto the sidewalk and into a field that was across the street figuring he would take off in the direction his car was pointed....WRONG!!! He banged a U turn climbed the curb and ran me down out in the field. When he hit me I flew over the hood and landed on my shoulder which was dislocated and broken in 3 places. Only one fracture healed properly and I now have two of what the Doctors call "non unions" in my shoulder socket. To this day I still say the smartest thing ever written on the front of a car is "Dodge" and Lord knows I tried I was just not fast enough.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    that seems like that hurt... gives me the chills thinking about the acid thing with traxxas tuesdays, and dad why did you run into the field? why not back into the bowling ally? still, that entire ordeal seems very unfortunate

ouch traxxas, i think the last one might be the worst lol. although the pensil one probably wouldnt have felt good either lol.

ive got 3 biggish ones myself.

the first one being when i was really young (dont know exact age) but i had a little power rangers bicycle with brakes that work by pedaling backwards. it had a little shield on the handle bars as well with pointed corners. well. i was going as fast as i could down my road then i locked up the brake to do a cool little slide. well needless to say i lost control and crashed. one of the corners of that little shield went into my chin, and i busted my right ear drum from my head bouncing off the road with such force. the doctor literaly was sticking his finger in my chin and out my mouth getting the broken asphalt out. 13 stitches later i had a chin again. as for the ear drum it healed luckily because i was so young. but i did fight blood clots in my ear for some time after that.

the second big one i was about 13 now. at this point i raced bmx bicycles now though (go figure right) but i was doing pretty good. i was ranked first in the state for my age and class. and i had not lost a race for 2 moths in a row with racing every weekend. this was including a state race as well. well this particular week i didnt have anyone to race against so they put me in the class above me which i dont remember if it was age class or rank class. but being the go getter that i was i wasnt about to be left in the dust even though i technically would have took first anyway. well i made it to the 3rd strait out of 4 but on the very first jump i dont even know how but suddenly my body was parallel with the ground like laying down instead of vertical like it would be standing up. still had ahold of my bike and everything to the very end. i litterly landed on my face and chest though and bounced a few times as i skidded to a stop. i couldnt breath as the air got knocked out of me so bad i thought i was going to die. worst pain i ever felt to this day almost 10 years later now. and because i was still holding onto my bike i broke my thumb at an angle and had to have a 3 inch metal pin put in along with a cast for awhile. the doctor said the only reason i didnt have broken ribs as well was because i was wearing a chest protector. as soon as i was recovered i went back to the track and took first place on the very first race. but i just didnt like it any more for some reason so that was the day i quit racing. oh and on a funny note my mom is a nurse at the hospital we were going to so she knew they would be busy. so we went out to eat first

and last but not least the next one happend a year or two later. ill keep this one short. i was power lifting for football in the off season and when i lifted to much while squatting i sprained my lower back extremely bad. i did the 450 lbs lift but i still regret it to this day as my back still gives me problems from it and i never did 100% recover. the more active i am the less it bothers me it seems. i just mostly cant sit still or stand still for to long at once or i start getting sore. sitting isnt as bad as standing though as chairs are more comftorable lol
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    i have a story to add for one of my friends, similiar to the last one of graves, we were working out at the highschool weight room getting prepped for this years foot ball season, we were maxing out that day (keep in mind we were only 14)--- my buddy was squating with 35's and using a 45 pound bar (you do the math lol), he became un-confident with himself and looked down, i couldn't stop him from falling as i was behind him, and he fell forward, he still had his hands gripped on the bar and hit face first, knocking out 3 of his teeth... we was very fortunate that the plates were large enough in diameter so the bar didnt hit his neck.... side note for graves, what were you racing with? (bike wise) i was racing with a 2010 haro team issue

and dad why did you run into the field? why not back into the bowling ally?
    You would have to see the layout of where this all took place. In short the feildc was closest I would have had to go in front of the car to get back to the Bowling Alley. It all happened so fast it really just came down to how I reacted there was really no time to think just to run.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    oh, i gotcha now... i would hate to have to be in a situation like that- and im very happy that you came out of that whole ordeal to become one of the best moderators on this forum

RC Racer
    when i was a kid a friend and I thought that we would be "cool" and could do flips off of the picnic table my parents had in the back yard. well i was first to go and i didnt go out far enough and i busted my head on the edge of the table and broke my lip open bleeding a trail from the ground where i landed to the bathroom where my mom tried to stop the bleeding to get me to the hospital.

the second one i can remember is i went up a ladder to measure a window on the second story and i dont remember to well what happend (i was six) and i remember landing on a personal trampoline that my mom tried to use to help catch me and it didnt work to well as i still nailed the ground hard. once again my mom rushed me off to the ER just to find out not a single thing was wrong with me except that i was crying like crazy. but not a thing wrong lol

Quote Originally Posted by i killed kenny View Post
    what were you racing with? (bike wise) i was racing with a 2010 haro team issue
    i was racing a gt powerlite interceptor. dont know the model or anything though. i bought it used from my sponsors shop

this is me way out in front just after starting lol

Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    nice man, i only have pictures of my race bike, none of me racing... wish someone would tag along to snap a couple pics while i was racing...

My friends always called me THE VOICE OF REASON. Lol, so I don't have any good stories.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    something kind of painful to add (not really a accident) but the last person to use my welding booth at highschool heated up a coupon (1.5 in by 6 in piece of metal that we practice welds on), and put the coupon right on the edge of the table, when i put my hand on the table it was a the worst burn and pain i have ever felt...

not that i have ever done it or recomend it but at college our welding booths had metal tables so you just hooked the ground to it instead of the piece your working on. well neadless to say people sometimes would hook eachothers ground lead up to there stools. so they would not be paying attention and shock themselves lol. (tig welding)
    Drag It!

all my stuff was minor besides trying to jump a chain link fence on my bmx(think it was a Robinson, had a weird frame with 2 top crossbars instead of 1. Found the frame in the trash during my paper route, so not sure.) Long story short, broken tailbone and broken ankle. Cleared the fence! Crawled 2 blocks home with my bike.

Worst I ever seen, was a neighbor was riding his skateboard down a very steep hill, San Francisco steep, and the board started the "death wobble" at the bottom. He lost it, tried to take a step, which launched him high in the air, and he landed and rashed for 20 ft on the right side of his face. I still get the creeps thinking of what he looked like when he got up.All the skin on the right side of his face was gone from his jaw to his hairline. his ear was mostly rubbed off. He had 4 or 5 surgeries and the doctors did an incredible job. If you see him today you would not know unless you dig into his hairline. Today he will tell you his right side is his good side lol...
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

I've got 3.

first one was when I was 9 years old and found a huge firecracker on the ground with a partially burned fuse after the 4th of july. i snuck a lighter and when i lit it, it went off in my hand and blew 3 of my fingers up so bad they were hanging by a few tendons. I completely healed from it, but still have a small scar on my ring finger.

second one was i got shot in a drive by (i got mistaken for someone else) when i was playing basketball when i was 17. it was just under my collarbone and it was a small caliber ( a .22) it was enough to knock me off my feet and when i looked down i could see smoke coming out of my chest. it was a burn that was horrible. I've never felt pain like that in my life. no vital organs were hit. I was in the hospital for 2 days but after that i was sent home.

the third one was a really bad bike accident the week before i turned 30. I was trying to get around someone who was just stopped at a stop sign doing nothing. when i had just cleared the front of their car, a bus ran a stop sign on the other side of the street and hit me. i fractured my skull, broke my back and tore the sacroilliac joint in my hip. That one almost killed me. i was in a coma for 21 days, after that, I couldn't walk for 2 months, and had complete had amnesia for a week after I woke up. The amnesia was SCARY . I sued the bus company, but it was deemed my fault for going around the driver stopped at the stop sign.
    I've recovered, but i can't lift anything over about 20 pounds and i have a slight limp when i walk which is weird because i jog and run fine.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    When I was twenty-one, I was on my streetbike, taking a wide open sweeper turn a bit too fast and went off the edge of the road. I hit a guard rail which launched me like a torpedo into a utility pole. I shattered my helmet upon impact (better than my skull), and broke my neck, shoulder, collarbone, dislocated my elbow (wired together), broke my left arm (six screws & plate), and cracked my shin bone. I was life flighted and spent eight days in intensive care. Luckily the neck fracture wasn't too serious, and I only had to wear a brace for awhile. Just over three months later, I was on snow skis! I was taking it very easy for awhile, though!

Another time, while on lunch break at work me and my buddy used to ride our mountain bikes around since we had an hour to kill. One time, I went over the bars and put my hand out to keep from smashing my face. I wasn't wearing gloves for some reason, and the impact split my palm open from my wrist to my middle finger. Ouch!! Could see my tendons and everything. A guy from work had to take me to the hospital. Quite hilarious, because he has to stop for gas on the way and I had to loan him five bucks so we could get there. Me and my buddy still laugh about that.

Still another one that really scared me was on my snowboard at Snowshoe in West Virginia. Well this was in the late spring, and we just loved Cup Run, which is a mile long and moguls the whole way. At the bottom of the run, it really flattened out and we would bomb the last part to keep our speed enough to make it to the chair lift without having to take our boards off and walk. With the spring snow, the pathway was getting more and more bumpy. The thing to do was ride along the edge of the trail where it was smoother and therefore faster. Well, I got a little too close to the edge, and hit a few bumps, one of which sent me hurtiling over the edge of the trail. All I could see rushing up at me was dirt and rocks as I was falling. I kept my board under me in control, preparing myself for a high speed landing on what looked like the surface of the moon. BAMM!!!! My ankle felt like it exploded upon impact and I destroyed my snowboard, almost breaking it in half. Luckily only a sprained ankle, but it cost me two days on the slopes, a Burton snowboard, a rental fee for the rest of our trip and a little of my ego when I came crawling back up the rocks covered in mud and dragging my precious board to a huge crowd who thought I must have been killed.....
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Enthusiast
    Some of these are horrific, not sure my accident can top these...anyways, it happened probably when I was 10 or so. I was going around a sloped corner too fast on my bike. Something went wrong and the handlebars sharply tuned sideways, I flew over the bike, my face landed ON the handlebars and one of them gashed my chin open. There was enough blood to leave a stain on the asphalt where I landed for 2 months. Took about 6 weeks to heal fully, (I didn't see a doctor). Could have been an inch long and not sure how deep.
    "Bagginses? What is a Bagginses?"

Okay I got two but not nearly as bad as everybody else's

1. I was 4 my dad and friends let me drive one of there mini snowmobiles. Told me where the gas and brake was and I was off. Forgot where brake was and almost hit a truck but my dad ran out and stoped me. Close call there.

2. Ate poison stuff when I was 4 and thought it was bubble gum.had to go to hospital
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Mines not as bad but I got a few good ones. Sorry for long post.

1) can't remember how old I was but pretty young. Anyways, I was outside with my brother and we were messing around with he water and he decided to dump a bucket of water on the dog. The dog takes off running and somehow ends up slamming straight into me. I fell and couldn't get back up. I wasn't crying but couldn't move, so I told him to go get my mom. She comes outside and is like "oh get up your not hurt." somehow she hits my leg and that's when the pain finally starts. So she takes me to the ER and agter x-rays and pain, we find out that the dog had broke my shin.

2) this ones bloody. I was still young but it was during summer vacation and had some friends over. I needed to go to the house for something (can't remember) and the next thing I know, I got tripped, went to catch myself and my right arm ended up catching the corner of so sheet metal. I was bleeding SO bad. My mom couldn't get the bleeding to stop so I go to the ER again. After they get the bleeding stopped and find out that I almost hit the bone, i get stitches and go back home. I now have a pretty good scar. This is not in the same year as the 1st one.

3) I was in 3rd grade and playing football. It was the last game of the season and it was a home game. We were doing last minute practice. I played safety so I was standing in the back watching everyone play...when out of nowhere I got hit by this big pile of people. My right foot was planted in the ground and it didn't move as I turned at least 180 degrees if not a 270. I hear this pop and all of a sudden tremendous pain in my right leg. Somehow they got me onto the back f a golf cart and after and very bumpy ride back through the grass an to the car I was able to get in the car why crying like a baby. Later at the hositpol they took many painful x-rays and decide that I had spiraled fractured my right femur bone completely. So after some pain meds.I was in an ambulance and down to the coloumbus children's hospital I went. I later needed surgery. I had to get one rod to go along the side of the femur while i had two screws drilled into my bone to hold the rod in place. (later it came out) the best thing I have to say about this is that when you are given morphine, it makes a world of a difference when trying to play Mario cart. I could of sworn that I was high on morphine, no joke.
    That left one big nasty scar and two little ones.
    Never trust a fart.

well lets see i got some for my brother.......... dont know how old he was but there was a big old wooden spring loaded door that closed with his finger in the hinge side of it and chopped it off other than a flap of skin holding it on still. (were able to sew it back on though).

these are about the middle brother by the way. im the youngest and i have another brother older than him as well.

well my oldest was a huge trouble maker when he was young in gangs and everything else. well, he got a .22 handgun somehow once and was playing with it while my brother was in room with him. he didnt know that it was loaded and the gun went off. shot my middle brother (joe). the bullet went in through his lung bounced around a little and then stopped when it got stuck in a rib. the bullet had barely missed his hart but had nicked an artery and bruised it. well about a week after he came home we were at church and that bruised artery gave out while my brother was in the bathroom at church. he lost 90% of his blood and then died a couple of times on the operation table as well. the bullet is still stuck in his rib to this day because his heart is in the way (thats how close it was). but he has been doing great. the had to remove half his peck muscle so later on in football that kind of held him back because he couldnt bench press more than 285lbs which was still a good amount. he squated 675 for reps and had the nickname tree trunks lol. anyway hes doing just fine now but still has no feeling in his entire left side.

lets see, i cant remember if my brother was a junior or senior in high school for the next one. but he was one of the stars of the team. he started offense and defense on the line (played some linebacker in earlier years) he was picked for the allstar game and everything. but i dont remember how it happened but someone somehow tore his acl in one of his knees.

he recovered from that finally and went on to play college football as well. him and some guys were just messing around playing flag football one day and someone big (way bigger than my 300lb all muscle brother) tripped chasing him and rolled into his other knee sideways. guess what happened? they tore the other acl now. yeah, he has bad luck lol. everything heeled up well though for him luckily
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    I had one that I didnt mention. I went up to a box that was built in the ski jump so it was like this \ with a 10ft drop and the box was too dry and caught a dry part of my ski causing me to land on my right shoulder on the box then falling off the box landing on my shouler again. Thats all for me
    EMBE build in progress!

RC Competitor
    one daay my friend was drivind my slash thankfully its brushed and i wasnt paying attention and he went off a ramp and straight to you know where and my face looked like this. and i had made pointy pieces of plastic that were drilled onto the front bumper to make it look cool and that didnt help the situation at all
    Last edited by gmanrules; 10-04-2012 at 04:21 PM.

RC Champion
    When I was 4 I nearly died of swallowing a strawberry whole lol. My most recent problems have been banged up knees and ankles because of workouts.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Qualifier
    Was racing a few friends on bikes and I rubbed a tire, flew over the handle bars, and got a big gash on my face. And one time I got chased, abump in the road and a cut in the hands and cut knees. Nothing that bad has happened since thankfully. :|
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by i killed kenny View Post
    and thats not the worst part, in the hospital a nurse had me consume cocaine! it really messed me up, they had the paddles in the room along with sevral other things of equipment... and when everything was all said and done, they tried to charge us for the cocaine!!!!!!!!!!
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?

RC Qualifier
    she gave me the wrong medicine, it was a medicine that wasnt supposed to be drank, yet she had me drink it- after that the er had to call poison control to find out if it was going to kill me, then they did come close to killing me, they brought the crash cart in at that point they had to give me so much meds to counter act to the cocaine, and i stopped breathing, and that one thing they put on your finger with the red light in it read 40, and it was going down. i was getting less and less oxygen to my brain, luckily i had started breathing again on my own

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    December 6th, 2010 a string from my glove got caught in the rotary table bushing of my well drilling rig and wrapped my right arm backwards around the 2 3/8" drill stem. The rig was at idle so the rotary table was turning slowly, but it exerts 50,000lbs of force so i really didnt stand a chance, but after hearing my radius and ulna bones snap like dry tree branches and my elbow ripping from the socket, i had to pull until my upper arm broke in three places which gave enough slack on the string and it released. I had pulled so hard that when the string let go i landed 12 feet away from the rig, but if i hadnt pulled hard enough to get away, it would have just pulled me through an 8" gap between the drill stem and the derrick slowly. I had pulled so hard that when i heard my upper arm breaking, that it was actually my arm ripping away from my body. I am very fortunate to still have my life, and even more fortunate to have my arm return to 98% function and 110% strength, although it did take a lot of work to get here. I returned to work 6 months after the accident (doctors said 2 it would be 2 years at least or maybe never) and am told that i am one of the only drillers in my area to ever return to the drill step after tangling with the rotary table. (Some are dead and others continue to drill on the same rig using the same rotary table, and recently finished using this rig service the well i was drilling when the accident happened. My arm suffered 7 breaks; 3 on forearm area, one of which was a compound fracture and one being the fracture of the radial head, and three on my upper arm and severe and complete dislocation and 180 degree spin of the elbow. 63 staples were used to close up my arm and now I have two 6" titanium plates, 20 stainless steel screws and 2 ss pins in my arm. I underwent 17 hours of reconstruction surgery, left the hospital 6 days after surgery, then had the cast removed 13 days after surgery and started physiotherapy 16 days after surgery. Doctors were amazed at the rate in which my bones grew back together, especially since i smoke.

Some very good things came out of this accident; 1 - I purchased a p2de and had it brought to the hospital for something to do and am now a out of control rc addict; 2 - I got to spend every single day with my son for 6 solid months and got him hooked on rc; 3 - i get a big lump sum payment this december; 4 - i am a lot more thankful for the time i have now; 5 - i became a member of the traxxas forum 6 - i am able to continue doing the job that i love... I could go on and on and on. Though a lot of good came of it, i never want to experience anything like that again. 😉

My son insisted i get the glow in the dark cast. We put the spikes on it for fun one day out of boredom. my boy refused to let anyone sign it cuz then it wouldnt glow as good. Lol

Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    wow, what a terrible encounter.. i hope to never have something like this happen to me