RC poster

Is Telemetry worth it or just get temp gun?

Running a stock vxl on a 3s and really running into overheat problems. Definite cool factor with the TQi set up, but is it worth it or just get a temp gun and be done with it?

RC Competitor
    Kind of fun, when you use it the Ipod also records sounds so you can hear it crashing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The telemetry is worth if you want to check temps at any time, and don't want to deal with bringing the car back, and removing the clips to do it. I just would get a diff esc like a MMP, and don't have to worry about heat issues anymore.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    The telemetry is worth if you want to check temps at any time, and don't want to deal with bringing the car back, and removing the clips to do it. I just would get a diff esc like a MMP, and don't have to worry about heat issues anymore.
    MMP combo or just esc?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy_one View Post
    MMP combo or just esc?
    combo would be better, MMP-2400 is great on 3s, 4s.

RC Champion
    Skip the telemetry and get an IR scanner/gun. Once you have it dialed in you are golden. When Im checking out a new setup I leave the body off and just do full speed runs with stops and hard starts then check the temps every couple of minutes. Once you are done you dont need it unless you make a configuration change or the ambient temperature rises above the point it was at when you checked it. You dont need anything fancy for ht IR gun. A simple one from home depot or sears works just fine. Not like it needs to be accurate to .00000001 or anything. +/- a few degrees is fine.

Stock Velineon and 3s dont play very nicely together unless you gear it down and what the point in that? Well it will let you have longer run times on 3s over 2s and a little performance increase but not much once you get it to where its not overheating. The larger cans do alleviate most of the problem but with the MMP/2400 you still need to make sure you are not stressing it too much and run the fan with it. Now if you go up to the 1500 series motors and MMM you can kiss temp problems goodbye as the motor will only get warm but once you gear it up expect cogging on slow speed starts and expect inital throttle control to be on the touchy side as in just a little trigger will take you from 0-20%.

RC poster
    I think the 2s at this time is going to be our best solution. Don't really need the boost of the 3s, bummer is we have (5) each 11.1 3s's and one 7.4 2s. These batterys came with the cars when we bought them used from CL. Harbor freight has a IR for like 35.00.

RC Competitor
    I use the telemetry temp all the time. It agrees with the IR gun, and is always available if you have the TQi, docking station and iPod/Phone, so why not use 'em.
    Slash 4X4 SSC , T-MAXX, Revo and Bandit
    TQi, iPod