Hybrid View

RC Competitor

STRC 17mm hex adapters

I just got a new set of these from ToadzRC on eBay and I'm having a heck of a time trying to get them to work. First of all, the set I received doesn't look anything like the ones on the STRC site- no set screw on the hex and the drive pins are much shorter (looks like these, but in gray) I guess a new version. Anyways, since I'm assuming the longer hexes go on the front, I test fitted them and once I get the flanged drive pin snugged down they don't spin freely at all- lots of binding. I installed 2 new bearings and a new axle and the same thing. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Did you use the two teflon washers when you re-installed? One on either side of the bearing carrier. Did a spacer come with the set? My AKA adapters look similar to the second link you posted and I used a little silver spacer on the front... I think. It's been a while since I assembled them.

I do remember having a problem with one of the axles and I think it was bent. Make sure the front axles are straight, or replace them. You will like these when installed.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Well, according to the Traxxas parts diagram there's only one washer (#1985) on the outside bearing and none on the inboard side. I did put on new axles (#3637) and when I barely snug down the hex flange pin (or whatever it's called that's screwed onto the axle) there's a lot of binding. Feels like a bad wheel bearing, but I tried 2 different sets of new ones and I got the same result. For giggles I did put a washer/shim on the inside and same thing. Could it be possible that the steering blocks/ bearing carriers are warped somewhat to cause that? Right now I'm using the OEM Traxxas ones.

Check the pin on the c-block, those bend pretty easily, but you probably would have already noticed if it was bent.

You may have to back off the sleeve nut a bit until it spins free and loctite it to hold.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    I'll check the pin when I get off of work. They looked OK when I had everything apart a couple days ago but I'll look again. When the assembly spins freely the sleeve nut really isn't snugged up that tight, even though I used loctite.

RC Champion
    Those are the same ones that I have, but I have the Integy version on one slash and the STRC on the other.. they are the same thing. Yes, mine bind on both sets and there is nothing you can put in the wheel to stop it. What I found out that worked was to use threadlocker on the nut.. just tighten down till snug and spin the wheel.. back off a tiny bit until the wheel spins freely. You should be able to spin the wheel with no binding now. Test the wheel by rocking it in and out. It should have play in it. Mine worked well.. just remember to re apply threadlock when you take them off.. If you loose the nut, you have to buy a whole new set of adapters.. I found out the hard way... There should also be some teflon spacers incuded in the kit. these are to between the nut and the adapter to take some of the strain off the bearing. If you don't have any, cut fuel tubing will work to eliminate the slop in the wheel.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Competitor
    No spacers in the kit. I'm trying to figure out where you would put the spacers/fuel tubing. Are you talking about the 17mm nut that holds the wheel on or the small sleeve/flange pin (the part that screws onto the existing axle)? I'm probably over thinking it.

RC Competitor
    Problem solved! I went to RC Car Kings today before work and had the guys there look at it. Do not use the washer/spacer on the outside bearing. The STRC adapters have a small lip where the axle pin goes so it doesn't ride on the wheel bearing. The guy also suggested using a different wheel fastener instead of the STRC ones that are made from softer metal, and are serrated on the end to grip the adapter(no loctite now). He also made me a custom wheel nut wrench that was ground down (outside diameter)to tighten the hex drive pin so I don't have to use an allen wrench. Setup works great now, and the guys at RC Car Kings were fabulous in helping me out! The 1/8 Big Blocks from Suprasales hook up awesome in the grass.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
    Problem solved! I went to RC Car Kings today before work and had the guys there look at it. Do not use the washer/spacer on the outside bearing. The STRC adapters have a small lip where the axle pin goes so it doesn't ride on the wheel bearing. The guy also suggested using a different wheel fastener instead of the STRC ones that are made from softer metal, and are serrated on the end to grip the adapter(no loctite now). He also made me a custom wheel nut wrench that was ground down (outside diameter)to tighten the hex drive pin so I don't have to use an allen wrench. Setup works great now, and the guys at RC Car Kings were fabulous in helping me out! The 1/8 Big Blocks from Suprasales hook up awesome in the grass.
    the spacer goes inside the hub..Its not against the bearing.. In my case it was used to prevent the axle from crushing the bearing and causing the binding.. They may have redesigned the adaptor since I got mine a while ago..

RC Competitor
    Are you taking about a spacer inside the steering blocks, between the 2 wheel bearings? Anyways I beat the living snot out of my truck during dinner break and nothing fell off/apart/broke so I'm happy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
    Are you taking about a spacer inside the steering blocks, between the 2 wheel bearings? Anyways I beat the living snot out of my truck during dinner break and nothing fell off/apart/broke so I'm happy.
    No.. they go on the axle after the adapter is put on between the adapter and the nut that wants to fall off... Glad you got it sorted out.. keep an eye on the nut however, they can come loose and are impossible to replace.

RC Champion
    That sucks u didnt get the ones u thought u were gettin, no set screw. I always thought those would work better than having the possibility of losing that small nut that holds the other ones on. I lost a few off some akas. Glad it worked out for ya.
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Competitor
    OK, I see what you mean. The guy at the LHS who looked at my truck was familiar with the 17mm adapters and didn't mention that spacer, only the AKA fasteners which I linked a couple posts ago. So far so good- nothing has fallen off yet.

RC Champion
    Mine are holding up well also, but my sons, which are the STRC ones seem to get loose on occasion.. funny, It happens mostly during the night time racers...