RC Champion

Leopard brushless

Anyone have those $60 brushless systems in there slash's? Are they any good?

RC Qualifier
    I have one of them. Broke the esc within a month. I hit a tree battery strap broke battery went flying and yanked on the esc and it went up in smoke. It was my fault. Still use the motor behind my vxl esc when I dont run lipo. Little motor gets crazy hot on 3s. Been a good little motor though I have put it through just about everything and is just starting to get some bearing noise. It uses about half the amps a vxl does but puts out a amazing amount of power for half the amps. Alot easier on the nimh batteries. I have smoked 3 nimhs with the vxl now just gets them so hot.

RC Champion
    Thx for the info..I just ordered a raptor for $210 shipped..good deal I think..he's lookin to see if he has any vxls sytems in stock..

leopard motors are good if you get the right size and use the right esc with it. have you considered hobbywing combos?
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    Yea..if I can get the vxl for $100..I'll probably get it..and the sell the stock motor esc and battery to make up the difference..

RC Competitor
    What would you suggest putting in a 2wd slash? I want to upgrade but need to do it on the cheap.

RC Enthusiast
    you can get the sidewinder sv2 and 4-pole 3800kv or 4600kv on ebay for like 120 free shipping thats what i when with runs great and great price too

RC Competitor
    What's the difference between the 3800kv and the 4600kv? I'm kinda green with electric

RC Enthusiast
    um me too but i believe the 4600kv would be a little fast but the 3800kv has a little more torque not 100%

The 4600 will have less torque, run a little hotter, need to be geared lower, and in my opinion, a better motor in a 2wd sc truck. The lower torque of the 4600 will give a little more throttle control compared to the hairy chested 3800. That is just my opinion though...
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The 4600 will have less torque, run a little hotter, need to be geared lower, and in my opinion, a better motor in a 2wd sc truck. The lower torque of the 4600 will give a little more throttle control compared to the hairy chested 3800. That is just my opinion though...
    I've kinda taken over macz's thread..... whoops

What gearing would you suggest for the 4600? I'm planning on ordering a Sidewinder Sv2 setup in the next couple weeks. I'm thinking about entering some races in the spring so please any info would be of help, I plan on running a Venom 5000 2c 7.4 volt Lipo so I know I have to take that into consideration when choosing the right gearing .......

Also, this might be a silly question but will the traxxas pinions fit on the Sidewinder shaft???
    Last edited by ajolsen1; 10-05-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajolsen1 View Post
    Also, this might be a silly question but will the traxxas pinions fit on the Sidewinder shaft???
    Traxxas makes a wide range of gearing, so the answer is "yes", but you'll need to tell us what kind of traxxas pinion YOU own to get a good answer. The sidewinder has a 1/8" shaft or about 3mm; you will need this shaft size to fit.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Traxxas makes a wide range of gearing, so the answer is "yes", but you'll need to tell us what kind of traxxas pinion YOU own to get a good answer. The sidewinder has a 1/8" shaft or about 3mm; you will need this shaft size to fit.
    The motor I'm running now has a 3mm shaft on it..... not sure how many teeth and what not but I'm sure I'll be changing up all of the gearing by the time I'm done with everything......