RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar

5727X drive strut?

this is just to show you how behind i am with new releases or so i thought i was, LOL.. 4 months ago when i got my spartan i start modding it by replacing the cooling jacket with aluminum and added another set of trim tabs, and i was going to do the individual cooling line but never got around with it cause i stop playing with it. then i saw someone did replace the drive strut bushing with a bearing and i thought that is a cool mod. now traxxas have release drive strut with bearing now? did this came out when they have the new spartan with TQi RX/TX? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Driv...item2a22b7a49b
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    The 5727X drive strut is an upgrade part for the Spartan and does not come with the newer boat.

Maybe in time it will come on the boat, I have it on one of my Spartans and has worked fine for the last 3 months since I've put it in use....

Like everything else on these and other boats, keep them clean, dry and lubed......
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Orca, Does the setup run quieter with the upgraded strut?

I thought I read that in a previous post. After 60 runs my stock one is still running great, but I am thinking about ordering one to have on hand just in case....

RC Champion
    I think it is maybe 3 to 5 decibles quieter which is hardly noticeable....but it stays that way much longer than with the stock strut with bushings.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Honestly the sound of the stock strut doesnt bother me, but it might be nice to have the upgraded version on hand when the stock one is worn out.

RC Champion
    How do i know when the stocker is worn out? Id like to add that to my new mainteance and inspection routine.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    There isn't a definitive way to determine if the strut bushing is worn to the point of needing replacement, at least none I know of.

There will be noticeable excess play on the prop shaft in the strut (side to side, up and down). I'm not aware of a "rule of thumb" measurement to determine excessive from normal, for me it is just "that seems a bit sloppier than it should be"

You can notice vibration or chatter, or noise if the strut is worn badly enough. This can often show when "bumping" the throttle during function checks.

Visual inspection may reveal the bushing to be out of round, or wear "bands" on the prop shaft.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 10-06-2012 at 10:01 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    hows this bearing handle underwater? i just hope it does'nt loose its smoothness after few run. i know my summit bearings are all needed to be replace after a few water puddle run, starting to rust and feels rough and wobbly (i got the summit used). with the bushing you dont have to worry about the ball bearings going out.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    The bushings are going to wear much faster than the sealed bearing. I noticed the bushing strut start to show signs of wear after the 9th run.

Replaced with a new stock strut and then when that showed signs of wear just replaced the bushings with sealed bearings and now just use the new 5727X strut ....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis