Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

My New Jato Funny Car build

Since Traxxas doesn't offer a a Nitro funny car yet and I love Nitro. Im going to take a jato and the Traxxas funny car and combine the two to make one. I saw the other kit some one is offering but I want the wheels on the inside. This is what I have so far more to come

RC Racer
    Subscribed! :O that's nicee

Can't wait to see how it's going to take sharp turns

RC Qualifier
    LOL Umm its only ment to go straight. But I bet will turn around in a pretty tight area. Im just curious as to hows its going to take jumps
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert JATO View Post
    Can't wait to see how it's going to take sharp turns

RC Qualifier
    Update. I have the rear end completed and the rolling chassi complete. Figured out how to do the body mount. Not much left to get it running. Cant wait for the first pass

Last edited by slayer17; 10-04-2012 at 10:42 AM.

RC Racer
    Thats seriously awesome!!

RC Qualifier
    Can't wait to see that thing run.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Racer

Wow

Dude that looks trick! I am really not into nitro anymore but I have to give you props on this. Really cool!

RC Racer
    That thing is awesome looks like a scale Model it going rip and sound great

It's looking pretty good from what I can see, how bout some pics of the engine mounting, tranny and rear end? Sure would like to see some details of the setup...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier
    Thank you. Im hoping in the next week it will be finished and I will get to blast it down the street. I used all traxxas peaices: Jato, Funny car and XO1 parts. I made the chassi plate the wheelie bar and the little hub holders. It will also have the Data Recorder on there and a few other trick things. It's realy light. lighter then people think. Whats going to make this interseting beisde the weight is I have it total adjustiblity, castor, camber and toe in and toe out. It should run realy hard and straight. I made the back section of the chassi plate to have a silhouette look like a top loader funny car rear
    Last edited by slayer17; 10-04-2012 at 01:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    this thing is amazing . great piece of work , are you going to run foams , or rubber on the rear

RC Qualifier
    Thank you. You can run either or. In testing I found somthing out with the anacondas. The foams you need a realy good preped track. With the anacondas It doesnt need a preped tracked at all. The foams are lighter and lighter means better ets BUT with the anacondas they can handle more HP off the line and they give you a different tuning situation for the nitro engine wich is better for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    this thing is amazing . great piece of work , are you going to run foams , or rubber on the rear

SUBCRIBED!!! Can't wait to see it running! Great job!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    I had some time over the weekend to do some more work and get it closer to testing it. I weighed it. As it sits its 3lbs 1ounce. Everything is there accept pipe, header, wheelie bar wheels and body. Im shooting for rite at 4lbs or little less. Thats with all steel bolts and the stock heavy traxxas battery pack and the heavy anaconda tires and wheels. I found battery packs that are 2.5 ounces lighter and foams are crazy lighter. So I have some room to shed some decent weight. My goal is to get it into the high 3lb range.

Last edited by slayer17; 10-08-2012 at 02:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Will "someone" eventually make a kit like this available for public consumption???

I have a pretty good idea that this car will give a dc funny car a run for its money if not flat out beat it.

Bswift
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Qualifier
    My tires came in today and im realy happy that I can run the orginal funny car tires the anacondas and I'm picking up a set of foams today and seeing if they clear. It's just basicly what off set they are

RC Enthusiast
    Whats the Chassis Plate made from............ I'm really interested in making one of these

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Amazing! Great job! I'm doing the same based on a Bandit...

RC Qualifier
    Thank you. I would love to see pics of your project funny car.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Amazing! Great job! I'm doing the same based on a Bandit...

Last edited by slayer17; 10-09-2012 at 06:35 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Its made from 7071T6 Alum
    Quote Originally Posted by LightFighter View Post
    Whats the Chassis Plate made from............ I'm really interested in making one of these

RC Champion
    now that is what traxxas should have come out with in the first place.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    Ah men to that brother
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post

Gosh, your telling me!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    You do realize that even 1/10 scaled funny cars and dragsters are either using a Nitro BB or a Brushless setup?

Unlike many markets, Traxxas usually likes to be the one to create a class of RC, not jump into one.... Why would they jump into a class that already exists and uses mainly BB engines and high powered brushless setup's?

Pretty sure this has something to do with it....
    Robin Williams

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    You do realize that even 1/10 scaled funny cars and dragsters are either using a Nitro BB or a Brushless setup?

Unlike many markets, Traxxas usually likes to be the one to create a class of RC, not jump into one.... Why would they jump into a class that already exists and uses mainly BB engines and high powered brushless setup's?

Pretty sure this has something to do with it....
    I'd be willing to bet that someone like slayer17 that has enough know how to make a 3.3 run competivly against most big blocks is very well aware of what the drag scene is using for power plants.

U DO REALIZE THE CURRENT FUNNY CAR IS BRUSHLESS powered right?? That is very similer to the power plants currently being used with Rc drag racing. Right?? I woudnt call a 2400 4 pole with a castle pro esc under powered.. Sounds like a "high powered brushless setup" to me. With that being said, no one is creating ANYTHING that's not already being done. Including traxxas.

Now then, I believe anyone with half a brain can figure out pretty quickly what traxxas's main goal behind developing the funny car was. MARKETING!! Doesn't make much sense to become a major contributor to the Force drag team without having something similer within thier scale lineup. Which IMHO is GREAT!! The more the marrier!!!

At this point, traxxas has created a really cute beginners Rc drag car. Which is cool. If others like to take that idea n run with to fit thier own personal likings,,, so be it. That's cool to. Personally, my heart is with nitro.

Watching this build makes me wonder how many current jato owners that have become bored with the jato might bring them off the shelf n go parking lot dragging. Sounds fun.

KEEP BUILDING SLAYER!!

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    Update. Just finshed the exshaust and the brake and throttle linkage.

Quote Originally Posted by bswift View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that someone like slayer17 that has enough know how to make a 3.3 run competitively against most big blocks is very well aware of what the drag scene is using for power plants.
    Maybe with some serious engine modding, but even then the torque off the line will not be the same compared to a big block that has had some modification to it.
    I don't think Traxxas is going to sell highly modd'd motors in an RTR vehicle..... Makes no sense.... But that's what it would take to be anywhere near competitive.
    s

I'm pretty sure you missed my point. My point was in response to the post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar
    I was just explaining why I felt Traxxas wasn't going to go into a Small Block RTR dragster when there are classes of dragsters that way over-power your standard small block .20 ci engine and 1/10th scaled...

Quote Originally Posted by bswift
    U DO REALIZE THE CURRENT FUNNY CAR IS BRUSHLESS powered right?? That is very similer to the power plants currently being used with Rc drag racing. Right??
    Yes I do that's why I said
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    So I don't understand where you are coming from...

Quote Originally Posted by Bswift
    I woudnt call a 2400 4 pole with a castle pro esc under powered.. Sounds like a "high powered brushless setup" to me. With that being said, no one is creating ANYTHING that's not already being done. Including traxxas.
    Maybe so, but Traxxas is usually first in line when it comes to RTR non-kit type RC's... Again I think your missing my point...

Quote Originally Posted by Bswift
    At this point, traxxas has created a really cute beginners Rc drag car. Which is cool. If others like to take that idea n run with to fit thier own personal likings,,, so be it. That's cool to. Personally, my heart is with nitro.

Watching this build makes me wonder how many current jato owners that have become bored with the jato might bring them off the shelf n go parking lot dragging. Sounds fun.

KEEP BUILDING SLAYER!!
    Absolutely no argument there... And I would love to see a Small block run down a BB or brushless setup... Always loved the underdog!!!! I guess that's why I still race my TMAXX against Revo's and Truggies.... It's great when you beat them.... hee hee!

But then again my response was to to the statement that Traxxas should have already came out (Mass Produced) with something along the lines of what Slayer17 is putting together....
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 10-11-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Robin Williams

RC Champion
    And now to get back on track - thanks for the off topic commentary above....

I REALLY DIG what you're doing with the funny car! I think it looks great, lets not forget I have never seen a REAL 1:1 electric powered funny car. Only one I have ever seen was internal combustion! The ONLY wat to make this better....2 TRX 3.3 engines!!!!!!!

HIGH FIVE Slayer!

RC Qualifier
    Thank you. HMMM 2 3.3 now thats a thought. Maybe my next one I will see how I can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    And now to get back on track - thanks for the off topic commentary above....

I REALLY DIG what you're doing with the funny car! I think it looks great, lets not forget I have never seen a REAL 1:1 electric powered funny car. Only one I have ever seen was internal combustion! The ONLY wat to make this better....2 TRX 3.3 engines!!!!!!!

HIGH FIVE Slayer!

Love it, cant tell from the pictures but are you managing to use the stock FC rear end housing with this or did you have to custom something up?
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Thank You I'm useing the Jato transmission
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Love it, cant tell from the pictures but are you managing to use the stock FC rear end housing with this or did you have to custom something up?

Very Cool, cant wait to see this run
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The rear wheels use a 14mm hex and the axle shafts on the Funny car are 6mm in diameter. On the Jato are 5mm, how did you solved that and have you found any slop?

RC Qualifier
    Just made custom hex and no slop.
    The rear wheels use a 14mm hex and the axle shafts on the Funny car are 6mm in diameter. On the Jato are 5mm, how did you solved that and have you found any slop?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    LOL! Same here with a 14mm hex aluminum bar... Now, I found STRC makes an adapter....

RC Qualifier
    I can't wait to see this sucker run!!!

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    LOL! Same here with a 14mm hex aluminum bar... Now, I found STRC makes an adapter....
    No crud??? Where n the cat hair do u find 14mm alum stock??? Please tell.

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    Thats realy cool I looked every were for that 14mm hex stock and couldnt find it, were did you find it. I had to take standerd stock and mill it down to 14mm

RC Qualifier
    strc does make the hexes for stampede 2 an 4 wd and slayer i got out of nitro about 5 years ago but i would buy what you are building my freind that is one bad car