Starting a new business

Well I'm taking my life savings and starting a business. Not all my savings, but all the cash I can scrape together.

I'm a Registered Nurse and this will be a home health/Consumer Directed Services business, going into peoples homes to take care of their health care needs and supervising health care workers. Wish me luck. It's going to actually take about 6 months to file the paperwork before I can begin.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

tmaxxrolla
    Got an idea instead of being a home health nurse. How about you become a motivator for those rc plane guys that crash their thousand dollar rigs into the ground. Man was at the Bomber Field Fly-in couple weeks ago and i though a few pilots were going to cry when i saw their rigs crash into the ground.

tmaxxrolla
    Just kidding best of luck

RC Qualifier
    Good luck! I have a few family members who have started this business and it took awhile but well worth the wait. The market is flooded here in Chicago.
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Good luck O.G.!! My dad used to be a Process Operator for many years. He lost his job in the mid 90's and went back to College and became an RN. He used to be a medic in the military and enjoyed it way back then. For some reason earlier in life he decided on Criminal Psychology or whatever it was and ended up getting a bachelors degree. He's been an RN for 14yrs now and enjoys the work but hates the Hospital he works at. They've changed ownership 4-5 times since he's been there and it keeps getting worse and worse. The full fledged Hospital has become nothing but a wing where they stabilize people and transfer elsewhere if needed. He's been a supervising RN for quite a while now. He's been looking, applied, and got accepted to work at a VA Hospital some distance away from home. It's on the west side of San Antonio. He really wants to go work over there, and I think he will. He said the paperwork is crazy to get in there. I think he will enjoy this and relate to people that have been through what he had many years ago. Plus the retirement will be outstanding, he said he may work another 5yrs or so. Anyways I know this is a long story. Glad to know what you do.

A friend of mine that I work with his wife owns a home healthcare business in the area. He said she loves it and is there for the patients totally. They do anything for them. Good stuff my friend. Again wish ya luck.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    He's been an RN for 14yrs now and enjoys the work but hates the Hospital he works at.
    This must be a universal feeling among nurses. The RN's at my little hospital are fleeing for better pay, benefits etc... and there have been a lot of changes in the past year.

I found a woman who used to manage a home care office and I plan to make her my key employee. I've got my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by tmaxxrolla View Post
    Got an idea instead of being a home health nurse. How about you become a motivator for those rc plane guys that crash their thousand dollar rigs into the ground. Man was at the Bomber Field Fly-in couple weeks ago and i though a few pilots were going to cry when i saw their rigs crash into the ground.
    Maybe I could be a grief counselor. hahaha

I haven't had to call the police so many times since I became a nurse. I work in the ICU and when a drug OD patient wakes up from the overdose they want their fix now and will go over or go through anyone standing in their way. And that's usually the nurse trying to keep them alive.

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    Best of luck mate! The business you're going into is key for making families live better lives. My grandmother passed away earlier this year, and she had a nurse stop by a couple times per week. It made the process of caring for her a lot easier for my grandfather. I hope you do very well in this venture!

RC Qualifier
    Good luck O.G. I took the same decision a year ago, and just now it is starting to look as though we might have a working business with actual cashflow It's been an adventure though.

FWIW, my wife is a nurse too and she's fled as well We are not in the USA, but the UK...

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    FWIW, my wife is a nurse too and she's fled as well We are not in the USA, but the UK...
    I thought things might be better in the UK. Maybe not.

I also work part time at a maximum security prison which pays well but the clientele is to be desired. I didn't know murderers and thugs could be such big baby's but they are.

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I haven't had to call the police so many times since I became a nurse. I work in the ICU and when a drug OD patient wakes up from the overdose they want their fix now and will go over or go through anyone standing in their way. And that's usually the nurse trying to keep them alive.
    That's the same department he's in. He loves the action. Another area he wants to work in is neonatal. LOL

I have tons of respect for you guys man.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Hahaha. Pediatrics and OB were two classes I could have skipped.

It's a known fact that men gravitate toward the ER and ICU.

I have a plan with a list of about 10 things I have to accomplish.

1. Set up an LLC. Done
    2. Reserve web site.
    3. Get Federal EIN: Done
    4. Missouri EIN:
    5. Register business name in Missouri. Done
    6. Complete and submit the Proposal. In progress.
    7. Obtain local business license.
    8. Set up office in my home OR rent ADA approved office space.

RC Champion
    If your clients get the care and dedication you give to your RC hobby they will be specially rewarded

My sincere best to your new business, hopefully it benefits you too!

I have a plan with a list of about 10 things I have to accomplish.

1. Set up an LLC. Done
    2. Reserve web site.
    3. Get Federal EIN: Done
    4. Missouri EIN:
    5. Register business name in Missouri. Done
    6. Complete and submit the Proposal. In progress.
    7. Obtain local business license.
    8. Set up office in my home OR rent ADA approved office space.
    You might want to think of liability insurance, if you have an employee then there's workman's compensation, social security, federal witholding, state taxes...... Oh and you may need some form of occupational insurance for those people who love to sue Dr's and what not.....

It's a tough business...... I wish you all the best of luck...

I won't say what I think of our current medical system... I'd have to give myself points....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    If your clients get the care and dedication you give to your RC hobby they will be specially rewarded

My sincere best to your new business, hopefully it benefits you too!
    Thanks kwitty I appreciate it.

RC Champion
    You may want to consider giving yourself and your employees the max federal mileage allowance (55.5 cents a mile) as part of thier benefits package. Its fully tax exempt on your (no payroll tax) and thier (no income tax) ends. I do it for my small business and end up with a couple hundred dollars in mileage allowance for myself every month.

I would also put hiring a CPA on that list. Yes they are a little expensive but worth it in the end. Its amazing what they can (legally) write off for you. A penny saved is a penny earned.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 10-10-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I won't say what I think of our current medical system... I'd have to give myself points....
    This is the funniest thing I've heard all day, awarding yourself points proactively.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC View Post
    You may want to consider giving yourself and your employees the max federal mileage allowance (55.5 cents a mile) as part of thier benefits package. Its fully tax exempt on your (no payroll tax) and thier (no income tax) ends. I do it for my small business and end up with a couple hundred dollars in mileage allowance for myself every month.

I would also put hiring a CPA on that list. Yes they are a little expensive but worth it in the end. Its amazing what they can (legally) write off for you. A penny saved is a penny earned.
    Thanks for the advice. In my previous worklife I was an MBA with a major in accounting, but I will hire a good tax accountant to bring all this mess together at the end of the business year. It never hurts to have a fresh set of eyes to look over your write-offs. I'm already writing off mileage for my trips to the city checking on my rental property.

The state of Missouri approved my LLC application so I'm one step further along.

Update: my LLC paperwork from the State of MO is 'in the mail'. When that arrives I can open my business bank account.

It's looking like I'll have to open a business from the beginning instead of working out of my house; my house is not ADA accessible.

RC Qualifier
    I also work part time at a maximum security prison
    Coincidences! So did my wife at one point!

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    Coincidences! So did my wife at one point!
    I actually enjoy working there and feel pretty safe and secure. But the clientele sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

Hey OG. My dad just accepted a job at a VA Hospital. The retirement and something new is the reason he is going there. Only thing its halfway across Texas. LOL

He's super escited for change. Just we wont see him/ them much.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore