RC Competitor

Question Eating pinions (large images)

So i finally been able to run my novak three-80 with edge 2s speedo in my merv an was enjoying it alot but as soon as i pulled off the gear cover i discovered something sad my 19T alum gear was looking very poor in shape while my spur the paint was worn off but looking alright. I did the meshing with a strip of printer paper for the gear meshing so.... my head scratching leads me to think i need to find a 1/8" compatible pinion in something harder then alum.

I also probably have the slipper a little on the looser side due to the size of the three-80 but that shouldn't cause issues to much.

RC Champion
    Looks like just the finish came off. Should be ok to use
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    I would agree but the teeth have shrunk 50% in there thickness compared when i had just got them so i'm wondering if i should look into a pinion made out of something harder

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They are cheap enough to replace both and pu some spares and maybe an extra clutch. I never need the paper anymore just give a lil pl.ay turn the spur hold one and check the play in a few places. Aluminum pinions will.wear faster but steel will be stronger and heaver save the aluminum pinions for speed runs going for 31-37 t aluminum Robinson racing pro pinions

RC Competitor
    well i'm looking at going to the LHS tomorrow an seeing if i can find a 21T or a 23T harden steel pinion. So you go by a gernal feel of a small play do you put anything on the pinion/spur for lube even a dry lube. an ya i think there was a issue with meshing due to being a crap load of alum dust all over the place >.>

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have seen LOTS of aluminum pinions do that... most aluminum just isn't hard enough to take the abuse.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Only aluminum pinons I run are the RR pro
    small diameter Traxxas steel are perfect I had the grub screw on a hardened pinion strip. Took a cobalt bit and a lot of stress to get it off!
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-02-2012 at 09:13 AM.

RC Qualifier
    From the pic, are you running the HR gunmetal 43T steel spur gear?

You might have better luck with a stock plastic spur (only available in 45/50/55T) - or with a Traxxas 19T steel pinion if you want to keep your current ratio.

RC Champion
    increase the lash between the gears. More than when you use plastic on plastic. Look at the teeth, they look bowed? If both teeth are bowed on both sides, its going to mesh harder and damage the teeth. dont mesh them so tight and you should see different results.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If it is the steel spur you will need a hardened pinion. Put the stock spur back in it is a lot less rotating weight and lasts a while

RC Competitor
    With my current motor I think i'll have a diffcult time using traxxas pinions unless the VXL is also using a 1/8" output shaft but when i was running the plastic I was not going to fast and was noticing slight damage to the stock spur so i put my HR back in. Well going to the LHS today anyways to find some more pinions an maybe a 2.4ghz spetrum radio package since my GWS 4channel isn't consistant at range which this truck has a habit of going out of >.>

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run a neu 1110 1/y and with the lash set properly I have never stripped a spur. I have replaced them under routine maintenance but only because with my setup it takes a bit of work to replace it.
    With stock spur you can run steel or aluminum and stock pinion is 1/8" or 3.2

RC Champion
    I would ditch the steel spur gear, that's what's chewing up your pinion. You really shouldn't need anything more than the plastic one, I'm still on my original spur and I have been running strictly 3S with a MMP and NEU 1110/1Y setup. Aluminum pinions tend to get chewed up pretty easily by any dirt or grit that happens to run between your spur and pinion.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 10-02-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Champion
    I missed my edit by 1 minute! LOL.....

Are you using the same pitch? .8 vs 1.0 MOD vs 32 pitch. They are close and I had an issue a few months back with my slayer because I was mixing them up. I think I was using a .8 and a 1.0 and trying to make them work.

evil carnage!

RC Competitor
    I didn't think about the pitch in gears being different but i just got back from the LHS with some RRP hardend 21T pinions an looking at the spare an my 18t novak mod 6 pinion the novak looks like its could cause a issue with the traxxas spur. Also i'm using the HR steel spur due to needing a smaller spure then traxxas provided though now that i know my motor output shaft is common I could go back to the traxxas an install a larger pinion. Still getting familiar with this since my other 2 rc are a losi miniT an microT an i never had to go this far with those to get them running solid.