RC poster

Summit Suspension/Ride Height Question...

Hi everyone.

I've got a Summit and I love it. I've got it riding as high as I can for now, but I was reading where someone mentioned that I shouldn't have my pushrods in the innermost holes on the a-arms.

I did some checking, and I noticed that in the manual for the Revo it does mention not to put the long travel arms in the innermost hole, but that information is not present in the Summit manual.

From more checking, I found that the stock Summit actually has different rear arms than the stock Revo.

Are these arms what make it so that it's suggested that the Revo not have it's pushords in the inner location, but not the Summit??

Basically, am I not supposed to have the Summit's pushrods mounted to the inner location on the arms?

Thanks.
    Jeff

P.S. I did some searching regarding this with Google, and didn't come up with much of a response.

RC Competitor
    I'm only new to my Summit too, but from what I've read/noticed about the differences between the Summit and E-revo, the E-revo has diffent ball centre heights to the Summit that may affect the travel. I mean the off centre ball links at the wheels that are reversed front to rear on the Summit.
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV

The hi ride height is hard on the cv joints in the axles.extreme driveline angles cause the joints to wear out quicker.they tend to break more often as well.The summit has swept back arms 11 mm longer wheel base I believe.its been a while..lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    You can run the inner holes but its recomended to run in the center hole. The steeper angles make it harder for the cv joints to rotate and put more stress on things especially the plastic shafts where the pin goes through.

The other holes are for if you decide to use different rockers and want to adjust ride height.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC poster
    Okay. I don't really want to worry about stressing out the driveline prematurely, so I'll go back to the center.

I would assume that adjusting the preload on the shocks to run at a higher ride height could also lead to the same problem?? I'm currently running double orange all around, with preload about 1/4 of the way down the threading. It's still pretty soft, but it helps with the sag in the back and bottoming out when doing some mild jumps.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
    Okay. I don't really want to worry about stressing out the driveline prematurely, so I'll go back to the center.

I would assume that adjusting the preload on the shocks to run at a higher ride height could also lead to the same problem?? I'm currently running double orange all around, with preload about 1/4 of the way down the threading. It's still pretty soft, but it helps with the sag in the back and bottoming out when doing some mild jumps.
    The steeper the shaft angle the more stress, doesn't matter where the steeper angle comes from.

Is it too steep? Who knows that's up to you to decide if the shafts start frequently breaking then maybe...

That does sound like a fair amount of preload, but without a picture it's hard to say.

With the preload set too tight you will start bottoming out your suspension instead of the chassis bottoming out on the ground. That can lead to suspension component failure. Might not be an issue, but if parts of your suspension start breaking the truck may be telling you to back off on the preload.

RC Qualifier
    Hold on, so I just happened upon this thread, and if I get it right it is bad for my Summit to have the pushrods in the inner most whole on my A Arms? I will move them back after school, but wouldn't that decrease the ground travel when going over obstacles?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Yes having the pushrods on the Outer most hole is not recommended with the long travel rocker arms, if you look at your front a-arms there should be a note saying: LT with an arrow pointing to the middle hole of the a-arm
    Hopefully you can see the LT with arrow this is pointing to the middle hole of the front a-arm. I have had a friend try the outside holes and he broke 2 front axles within 2 days he has since gone back to stock and no problems, I have my pushrods on the outer most hole as I am running an MMM/2200kv combo and want to keep my axles as close to level as I can get them, it does decrease the ride height but doing this in conjunction with a proper slipper setup and I have a fun truck for general bashing for where I live as I don't climb much. Hope this helps and god bless

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't think the outer holes would hurt the driveshafts. If anything it would lessen the angle and make their job easier. But above all the LT rockers are designed for the middle hole.

I do know that any time you move rod location or change rockers (on a revo...summit too it's just that most people stay with factory LT rockers) you have to re-shim or change the pivot balls accordingly to eliminate bump steer. P2s require spacers on the rods...with these complex suspensions you need to read befor you go making changes...

RC Qualifier
    That's what I was getting at, the outermost holes put the driveshafts more level and that's a good thing I think. To each his own right, I was just trying to help with the verification of where the pushrods went with the lt rockers stock and you are definitely right, read the manual, it helps to understand the way the truck works and why things are setup the way they are. God bless and have some fun

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206 View Post
    That's what I was getting at, the outermost holes put the driveshafts more level and that's a good thing I think. To each his own right, I was just trying to help with the verification of where the pushrods went with the lt rockers stock and you are definitely right, read the manual, it helps to understand the way the truck works and why things are setup the way they are. God bless and have some fun

Sent from my iPhone 5
    Sorry if my post came acrossed as confrontational...that was not my intention.

I wonder why your friend had bad luck with the pushrods in the outer holes? I would have thought using the outer holes would have helped things turn more freely...like you said keeps the shafts in a straighter line...a fluke maybe? IDK soooo many variables at work.

Have some fun is right that's what we're here for.

RC poster
    I guess I'm still just having a hard time wrapping my head around why it would be specifically mentioned in the Revo manual but not in the Summit manual. I would have thought if it were a problem it would have been stated in the Summit manual.

Oh well, I've gone back to the center hole anyways. I don't think I'll miss that one centimeter of ride height.

Thanks guys.

RC Qualifier
    There's not a lot of material on the inner hole. It can break easier than the center and outer.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    I'm running Dbl Orange springs front and rear no preload and the most inner holes front and rear and my axles sit flat with the ground. I have not broke a axle sense may and that was my fault for having the diffs locked on a wood pile with the slipper tightened all the way.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    I am sorry I posted some bad info, my friend was running his pushrods on the inner most hole when he kept breaking the axles, sorry for the mix up just now caught it lol, one of those days.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Qualifier
    That's funny. It happens.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless